A MUST for your RSC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frddyj

Some of you know, my first-out with the RSC, i grenaded a carrier on the front. The screws that come with the kit are short (so they sit flush when installed) and even if you loctite, they work themselves loose.

In this pic, the stock screw is installed in the top the bottom screw actually came loose & ripped the threads out of the bottom

In this pic, i compare the screws that come with the kit (short) with the screws i used as replacements.

Loctite & Install (notice the screw extends beyond the carrier)

I also recommend that you check these screws before each run to make sure they dint work themselves loose :peace:

Nice, great advice.

When i eventually get round to getting the kit il do this for sure.

I guess there isnt enough room to get a nyloc nut on the end of the threads?

Nice thread freddy. Is it possible to just to lock washers on the screws?

Nice thread freddy. Is it possible to just to lock washers on the screws?

you mean on the head of the screw? idk maybe.

as londoner pointed out, idt there is enough room to get a nylon nut on the other side.

2a4zj45.jpg

Is there enough room?

2a4zj45.jpg

Is there enough room?

you mean clearance? yea. its kinda hard to see caz the pic is dark but there is about 1/8" clearance. the cups and the screws are fixed (no travel) so its all set. **note** i run the xl/flux cups-bonz so there would be more room with standard bonz & cups.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea i think you could get a nut in there but i don't think it would screw up enough threads for the nylon insert to lock on defeating the idea of using locknut, but as you say with standard axles you could probably use a slightly longer screw, cut to custom length and fit a nyloc nut on, just done up enough to stop the screw pulling through the threads but not tight as to hinder the steering.

Are they M4 screws?

Here is a pic with 14mm screws that I used...

Thanks again frddy for the info dude...:evilrocker:

Here is a pic with 14mm screws that I used...

Thanks again frddy for the info dude...:evilrocker:

Yep, you got this about perfect Scott, thx for hookin up this thread. i think its gonna save many-a-rsc. +1

Guys this is all good but if you pop a dog bone (done it) or a rock gets in there the threads will be destroyed and the threads to the RSC itself as you take it out.... It don't take much to pull all the threads out of that hub. Been there X2!

Guys this is all good but if you pop a dog bone (done it) or a rock gets in there the threads will be destroyed and the threads to the RSC itself as you take it out.... It don't take much to pull all the threads out of that hub. Been there X2!

double-edge sword caz that was the brain-child for this mod in the first place.

& while those 2 things Can happen, the shorter screw falling out is More LIkely to happen. i say.

double-edge sword caz that was the brain-child for this mod in the first place.

& while those 2 things Can happen, the shorter screw falling out is More LIkely to happen. i say.

Well I sort of agree. But A fastener only needs the depth of its cross section to be at 100% strength. That being said loctite and maintenance is all it needs.

This is a lazy man's fix but it will buy noob time if one gets loose. If a thread gets nicked just hang it up though it will take out the hub on removal.

So I guess I'm more on the don't do it side then take the risk. I have seen stuff in there to many times to think I may get lucky and not rip up the exposed thread.

So much for nice guy ... :resp: you made me say it ..

Couldn't you just get a screw that was only a bit longer than the stock ones. That 14mm looks like it hangs out quite a bit. Would something like a 12mm work too? I haven't used an RSC yet so I could be wrong, but it seems like you could use a screw that was longer but didn't hang out so far when threaded in!?

Couldn't you just get a screw that was only a bit longer than the stock ones. That 14mm looks like it hangs out quite a bit. Would something like a 12mm work too? I haven't used an RSC yet so I could be wrong, but it seems like you could use a screw that was longer but didn't hang out so far when threaded in!?

less risk and a good idea but my point is a longer bolt is no stronger or has more hold then one that is as short as it is wide. Get a nut on them threads Ill say good idea, but till then I feel this is a 100 buck mistake waiting to happen.

less risk and a good idea but my point is a longer bolt is no stronger or has more hold then one that is as short as it is wide. Get a nut on them threads Ill say good idea, but till then I feel this is a 100 buck mistake waiting to happen.

good point - BUT - first time out with blue loctite the screw dint make a full tank. Maybe a shorter screw but Red loctite for best of both worlds.

good point - BUT - first time out with blue loctite the screw dint make a full tank. Maybe a shorter screw but Red loctite for best of both worlds.

Mine go half a gal+ on blue what # blue are you using? Id not use red anywhere on a RC

Mine go half a gal+ on blue what # blue are you using? Id not use red anywhere on a RC

what #? i think its 8675309. its the blue loctite in the red tube with the white cap from the hardware store. you know it.

Last edited by a moderator:
no the number on the tube 231, 265, 275 etc different thicknesses for different fastener sizes one size don't fit all with loctite... there is a bunch of blues not all are for 3mm screws

It may not be stronger with a few extra threads but you could get a bit more loctite on because of them though, right? And if they didn't stick out you would be running no more risk right?

i got the same set up on mine savage XL and had the same problem and i did get a lock nut on the end of it but it rubed so i grind the tip of the nut withe a dremel and now works good

i got the same set up on mine savage XL and had the same problem and i did get a lock nut on the end of it but it rubed so i grind the tip of the nut withe a dremel and now works good

Atta boi ! see some one is thinking here..

lucky i found this thread before running with my RSC... I'm going to bump it so noobs can spot this... Need to find some screws and bolts now...

NICE1

Members online

No members online now.
Back