xl 5.9 short story

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaceracer

I thought I would share with everyone else about what I have done to get this thing prepared to be ran, in all fairness I do not think this rtr kit should be ran straight from the box without checking things imo. So far I have done the following.... Remove radio complete box to tighten and loctite the radio box swivel lock knob mine just felt to loose like it could un twist while driving, it cannot be accessed from just the bottom of the truck. I have also taken the brake spring and replaced it with fuel tubing also did a brake servo ring mod to allow the brake servo horn to move freely without the top throttle horn moving with it, provides much better braking. I also organized the wiring inside the radio box to not have a birds nest in there. I also had to take the tranny cluster (top half) out to fix the spur gear it was wobbling like crazy on the clutch bell when spinning. I had hpi send me out part number 102526 roll cage set and it also comes with the updated fuel tank mounts which take out all of the play that the stock mounts have out of the box, not to mention the roll cage looks great and I'm sure it will do its job protecting the cooling head. I did take out every screw that goes into metal and loctite every one and most of them were already loose which is scary. I think next I will balance the tires with clay because they are horribly out of round. I'm sure I have done more but I can't think of anything at the moment, some of you might think this is dumb or not worth mentioning but for me with the bad luck I have had with other rtr kits this is worth the time to check and correct if need be.

I just purchased my XL "used" from a kid who got it for Christmas. Don't think the kid got to use it more than 3 times. These things should NOT be considered RTR! They also should not be considered toys, far to complex for someone not expecting to spend as much time wrenching as running( at least at first). I am specifically talking about nitro, I have no experience with electric.

I am loving it though, have had an OFNA Monster Pirate / Dominator for years.

My buddy who bought one has had nothing but issues out of the box you are correct it's not ready to run. The wheel fell of his and lost the hex nut. Muffler fell of yesterdat the carb popped off, battery that came with the truck was junk. I will not be buying one after his lol

any RTR trucks will most likely have a screw or two loose. you have to remember that these were assembled by humans, who tend to make a lot of mistakes.
every truck ive ever bought, new or used, I have always gone over it. (that's one reason why I like kits)

just an fyi, they aren't considered toys. at least not by the manufacturer( most say"not for children under 14)( although most rc cars are under the "toys" list on places like amazon)

I totally agree with you rcnut i just wanted to put a post out there stating what i came across on mine for someone else who wants to buy this kit, imo i think there should be some better quality control but whats behind the curtain maybe a world you or i cannot imagine.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back