Which Tekin system?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripleSix

U run nitro? I'm sorry.
Just fried my stock esc today! Running stock gearing with the high speed idler, on 5S. I've been looking at the Tekin rx8 systems lately, and now is a good time to get one. My question is which one? Basically want something good for all around bashing on street, grass, and dirt. I will be running Hyperion 4S, and 5S. There is like 10 differtent options for the rx8, and i just want the right one!

Thanks Fred,

Yeah the 2050 isn't suited to a Savage. The motor I'd reccomend is the 2000kv system purely because you're running some 5s.

It's plenty of power on 4s but with 5s it will be insane fast.

When you go to 5s you will need to change pinions.

Thanks Guys! 2000kv it is!!!!
Ok, more questions. as far as mounting the motor, is there a special motor mount I will need, or will the stock mount work? And what gearing do you suggest starting with? Should I remove the high speed idler, or just gear it to work with it? Also, is the shaft on the motot the same, or will I need different pinions?
Thanks again!!!!!!

Both motors have a 5mm shaft so your pinions will work on both.

As for the mount working? it might. the Tekin Motor Diameter: 1.57” (40mm) / 1.65” (42mm) including fin, Tork Motor Diameter: 39.98mm & 41.78mm with fins. the numbers are extremely close, but if it doesnt fit I'm thinking you could get the tekno motor mount and mod your motor plate.

tekin 2000kV specs - http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_221_1359/products_id/36915/n/Tekin-Redline-T8-1-8th-Scale-Truggy-Competition-Brushless-Motor-2000kV

hpi tork 2200kV specs- http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_25_1459_1122/products_id/43521/n/HPI-Flux-Tork-2200kV-Brushless-Motor

Both motors have a 5mm shaft so your pinions will work on both.

As for the mount working? it might. the Tekin Motor Diameter: 1.57†(40mm) / 1.65†(42mm) including fin, Tork Motor Diameter: 39.98mm & 41.78mm with fins. the numbers are extremely close, but if it doesnt fit I'm thinking you could get the tekno motor mount and mod your motor plate.

tekin 2000kV specs - http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_221_1359/products_id/36915/n/Tekin-Redline-T8-1-8th-Scale-Truggy-Competition-Brushless-Motor-2000kV

hpi tork 2200kV specs- http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_25_1459_1122/products_id/43521/n/HPI-Flux-Tork-2200kV-Brushless-Motor

Thanks for all the info!!! Any ideas where a good place to start with the gearing? What about the high speed idler? Keep it or toss it?

first, what does your truck weigh and what LiPo series you plan on runnin?

my flux 13# stock gearing (20/44) and 5s rips and works for me. ESC fan alsmost never comes on.

i have the high speed idler gear & may or may not put it in. the high speed idler will just get my truck to the point where its uncontrollable a heck of a lot quicker and make the system work harder.

i think if i wanted my truck uncontrollable-fast id prolly go to 6s before i altered the gearing from stock. seems like peeps always run into headaches when they start messin' with the gearing.

Flux weighs 13.1#, rtr minus esc, according to the wifes digital bathroom scale. Will be running hyperion 5s, 35c, 5500mah lipos. Have a set of hyperion 2s 35c, 6500mah too, but if I have to change the gearing everytime I go from 4s to 5s, I might just sell them and get another set of 5s, 5500's. So, the high speed idler is probably not a good idea?

nah i wouldnt say youd have to change gearing when you switch from 4-5s.

but if i put it in my sav (almost identical to yours in terms of weight & system) id keep the stock gearing or at least the stock spur and maybe go to a 19 or 18 cb.

all a matter of preference really, just keep an eye on it whatever gearing you choose & keep in mind that the 39t idler is gonna increase the workload on your esc/motor. ;)

nah i wouldnt say youd have to change gearing when you switch from 4-5s.

but if i put it in my sav (almost identical to yours in terms of weight & system) id keep the stock gearing or at least the stock spur and maybe go to a 19 or 18 cb.

all a matter of preference really, just keep an eye on it whatever gearing you choose & keep in mind that the 39t idler is gonna increase the workload on your esc/motor. ;)

Randy Pike was the one who said that if I was going from 4s to 5s, I would need to drop a few pinions? I definitely don't want to fry another esc or motor. I don't want to hassle with changing pinions everytime I switch packs. Hope it will work!

Randy Pike was the one who said that if I was going from 4s to 5s, I would need to drop a few pinions? I definitely don't want to fry another esc or motor. I don't want to hassle with changing pinions everytime I switch packs. Hope it will work!

Yeah, i got all that.

was just pointing back to my original post that i run 20/44 on 5s (stock flux/tork/blur system)

for my set up, i would only drop down the pinion if i went from the stock idler to the 39t :peace:

If I drop a few teeth on the pinion, doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of the high speed idler?

You simply need to understand that by simply going up 1s in your LiPo count that you later the gearing/rpm by a large amount. So for example going from 4s with a 2000kv(30k roughly) to 5s 2000kv(36k roughtly) is a lot in terms of added rpm. For this reason alone I suggest a gearing change.

If you plan to run 5s all the time then go 1550 or 1700.

Ok dumb question. Got my 2000kv system on the way. Just wondering if there is anything I need to do with the new motor? I know nitros require break in, how about electric?

sounds about right. thats how my castle system is wired.

Thanks. Just checking. Stay tuned for more noob questions!!! If all goes well, should have some pics up tonight!!!

Hey I made this up as a temp when I first put the mamba in my e-lst but it will give you the idea. I have the castle one on my tekin now. Same thing with less connections.

ed38e42f.jpg

What kind of temps do I want to be looking for on the motor and esc?

Latest posts

Members online

Back