which mill?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boaty1

i have read some of the specs on a bunch of mills but cant really decide. I currently have the standard 4.6 in my savy x and think I'm gonna buy a new engine. Is the axial .28 more power than stock 4.6 or do I need to bump up a little bit? Also several axial .28s. is the plain axial .28 for like $105 gonna be a good bashin motor? I don't ever really run hard. I more less just play and do some hill climbin.. THANKS TO ALL.

If your just messing around the axial may be a good choice, not much of a performance gain over the 4.6 but it's cheap enough.

Axial .28 is a great engine IMHO. Easy to break-in, tune, and maintain. I'll be on my 8th gallon soon and it still has great power. It's not the most powerful engine on the market but it's cheap and offers great performance. Just get the basic spec 1 Axial .28, no need to spend the extra coin on the RR.

Here's my review of the Axial

https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2064

If you are going to shell out the cash for a new mill you should go with something that gives you more bang for your buck go picco or LRp

i have read some of the specs on a bunch of mills but cant really decide. I currently have the standard 4.6 in my savy x and think I'm gonna buy a new engine. Is the axial .28 more power than stock 4.6 or do I need to bump up a little bit? Also several axial .28s. is the plain axial .28 for like $105 gonna be a good bashin motor? I don't ever really run hard. I more less just play and do some hill climbin.. THANKS TO ALL.

dsc01005h.jpg

Axial. 28 Spec 1S Have had it for awhile now love it easy to tune, tons of power, loads of wheelies, lots of fun :jumpers:

you say you wanna buy a new mill & you have an F. Is the F still running?

I love my F & have to agree with Pope; if your gonna replace a mill that

works, then go for power. Unless your F popped & you just wanna replace

with something more or less similar to what you had.

my axial .28 is a beast, iput it up against a HPI .28 this weekend, gotta admit i was nerves but buttom line i blew its doors off, both in drag race and on the track.. if you would like to see my truck run check this link out!!
https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11838

my Axial .28 will smoke a Picco .28

I have always been a Axial fan

I have 2 .28's and 1 .32

I owned the .28RR as well (nice mill)

You get more then you pay for with the axial imo

my Axial .28 will smoke a Picco .28

I have always been a Axial fan

I have 2 .28's and 1 .32

I owned the .28RR as well (nice mill)

You get more then you pay for with the axial imo

I don't plan to buy a new engine anytime soon but still I'm curious:

1- You say the Axial .28 (what model?) smokes a Picco .28? What do others think of that? (not that I consider your opinion worthless, on the contrary)
:resp:
2- Modded or not? (by whom?)
3- Performance vs. price or pure performance?
4- What about the tune? Easy? Hard?
5- And compared to the K4.6 (or F4.6)?

I don't know much about engine models since I don't plan to switch it soon (unless my K4.6 breaks that is) but that caught my attention.

why is everybody always cutting on the Axial??? their are two that run @ my house all the time w/no problems..and a couple of guys who don't have them but are planning on it. one is a picco and the other is a hpi both .21's. This is my first axial, did they maybe fix a problem they once had or what. because this thing screams way better than the picco and HPI. not to cut on them either they are good mills!! I'm just wondering are people scared of the cheeper price or what this is about???:dunno:

The axials are cheap because they have low machining tolerances as well as cheap bearings and materials. This isn't to bash on axial but I have worked on many. People have had the main bearing let go with under a gallon on them (stock) I had three on my bench at once and all the cranks had different induction timing, to the point that you would see a very noticeable difference in performance right out of the box. Others have had a leaky front end, bearings won't fix this as they don't seal the engine, the seal is made between the bearing and induction opening and if not machined to the proper specs it will leak and cause tuning issues. There is a reason you can break-in an axial with 6-8 tanks as apposed to a gallon, the axial uses a cast piston as well as a lot of other company's. Picco uses billet and machines the piston out of it for a much higher quality piston. Picco suffers from induction timing fluctuations as well, some are rippers out of the box and some are much more tame. For $100 the axial is hard to beat as long as you get a good one, it is a risk you take just like most engines out there, none of them come hassle free unless you lay out big bucks, even then you can have a 528 nova spit out the one way bearing and destroy the engine in under a gallon..... seen that too.

The axials are cheap because they have low machining tolerances as well as cheap bearings and materials. This isn't to bash on axial but I have worked on many. People have had the main bearing let go with under a gallon on them (stock) I had three on my bench at once and all the cranks had different induction timing, to the point that you would see a very noticeable difference in performance right out of the box. Others have had a leaky front end, bearings won't fix this as they don't seal the engine, the seal is made between the bearing and induction opening and if not machined to the proper specs it will leak and cause tuning issues. There is a reason you can break-in an axial with 6-8 tanks as apposed to a gallon, the axial uses a cast piston as well as a lot of other company's. Picco uses billet and machines the piston out of it for a much higher quality piston. Picco suffers from induction timing fluctuations as well, some are rippers out of the box and some are much more tame. For $100 the axial is hard to beat as long as you get a good one, it is a risk you take just like most engines out there, none of them come hassle free unless you lay out big bucks, even then you can have a 528 nova spit out the one way bearing and destroy the engine in under a gallon..... seen that too.

What's your personal choice considering engine quality, price and performance? (stock)

ok i see what you are saying, i must have got a good one along with my friend. can you bealive he garrilla glued his cooling head together after breaking it in half..lol that was last year and it is still running fine! go figure. but aslong as i have no problems with axial I'm sticking with them, I'm up to 3 gallons now and no leaks no problems.. and thanks for your input

I don't plan to buy a new engine anytime soon but still I'm curious:

1- You say the Axial .28 (what model?) smokes a Picco .28? What do others think of that? (not that I consider your opinion worthless, on the contrary)
:resp:
2- Modded or not? (by whom?)
3- Performance vs. price or pure performance?
4- What about the tune? Easy? Hard?
5- And compared to the K4.6 (or F4.6)?

I don't know much about engine models since I don't plan to switch it soon (unless my K4.6 breaks that is) but that caught my attention.

1. Axial spec1 ~ modded by me ~ crank timing change, exhaust timing change, boost & transfer ports changed,
compression ratio changed, Mr. Singe head design mod, the rest is G14

most info on how to do the mods I did are here in the modding section of HPISF

2. me
3. bang for your buck , you can buy 2 axials for price of one picco (almost)
4. my engine is pretty sensitive to the outside temperature do to the modding. the sweet spot is narrow. That is not a issue with stock Axials
5. very similar, a modded F is also a fun inexpensive mill.

that being said, it is not really worth it to throw 150 bucks at a 100 dollar mill for modding by a pro.

In that case I would step up in a higher quality mill, which will cost more to purchase and 100 to 150 plus shipping to mod it out.

good luck,
Danny

ps. these are all toy engines, don't take any of this too seriously. I yet to find a Axial or Hpi or picco that had matching timing profiles from one to another.

:axial:

What's your personal choice considering engine quality, price and performance? (stock)

For a stock engine with no plans of having it modded I would go with the LRP .28 or Picco .28

I'm a picco guy and with the ability to alter the engines performance, hands down picco for me.

Savage- picco .28 turbo button
Truggy- picco .28 Jammin JPX turbo
buggy- picco .21 P7 EVO 3 RPM edition
onroad- picco .21 P9R EVO 3 turbo
onraod- OS .18 TZ soon to be replaced by picco .12 red dot
Spare- picco .28 and .26

LOL, Picco ftw.

Edit... we must have been writing at the same time, each to his own.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have actually found that on my Axial when priming it gas comes out of the MRN but other then that I haven't had any problems with it would more then likely buy another

Yeah so if you haven't figured it out by now everyone has their own preference. The best way is pick an engine that is in your price range and try it. The best way to learn about different engines is to try them. Remember Pokemon? Gotta catch em' all! Nitrohaulics......gotta run em' all!

One thing to consider is the K4.6 and the Axial .28 are both made by king Star, they are basically the same engine short of cosmetic features. I only mention that so people don't think they are upgrading to a better engine by going with the Axial. If your considering modification, the modded axial will never touch a modded picco no matter what you do to it, even if I did both myself. For a cheap decent backyard bashing engine, Axial FTW.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah so if you haven't figured it out by now everyone has their own preference. The best way is pick an engine that is in your price range and try it. The best way to learn about different engines is to try them. Remember Pokemon? Gotta catch em' all! Nitrohaulics......gotta run em' all!

well put!! as i used to have a xtm 457 engine and its the best i've run so far, it was a beast, wheelies like mad and i never hear many speaking of them here so maybe I'm the only one that loved it!! lmao

That xtm 457 was the same as the lrp spec 2, it was a great engine and made tons of power for a stocker, a very nice engine for the price.

ya i loved it!! and yes i've actually heard they came off the same assembly line, and i know they look almost identical and have the exact same specs..

I've owned the F4.1, then a Picco .28, then an XTM 457, then an Axial .28 spec1s. As you can see by the order I went through engines, I actually downgraded. With the stock Picco I twisted and snapped dogbones, and managed to trash my rear diff. This was when my truck was mostly stock. Well I'm sure my truck could handle picco power now I don't see the immediate need to that kind of power. Maybe if I raced more I would see the need. Pure said it well. All come down to what will you be doing. I still don't think a well tuned Axial gets the credit it deserves though. :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back