wheelie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
he did buy it brand new, the gears that were on it when i got it were 15/49 the lsh only had the 52 in stock when the 49 stripped. i normally run the truck for 5 or 10 mins and check the temp then let it cool down for 30 mins then bash it again. the diffuser is not in. i have not yet cut the holes thats my next project. when I'm running the truck i am doing alot of long runs could that be why the temps are getting up there? what do u have ur needles set at and what glow plug u using i am thinkin my glow plug is starting to go bad and i did richen up the hsn tonight still no wheelies should i try messing with the lsn at all?

Ok with the gear setup that you have now the 15/52 it should be flipping itself on its roof really easy. Even if you do long runs it really doesnt matter i'll send my truck down the street usually 400-500 ft and then come back and go 400 ft in the other direction so I'm staying pretty much wide open for around 400-500 ft but i usually run my truck a little on the rich side so once inawhile i have to do that to clear the pipe. I had a similar problem with the temps climbing when i was breaking mine in i put the diffuser in and it helped but after the break in i had to take it out cause the temps climbed again. Needle settings will vary quite abit from place to place because there are to many variables temperature, humidity, how high you are from sea level. But my needles are low speed is flush and high speed is 1 1/2 turns in past flush. Thats only because its been really hot up here the past couple of weeks. If i were you i would reset your needles to what they recomend in the manual for break in and tune from there. The glow plug that my LHS has is the hpi power plug i use R5 or R4's depending on the temps outside. Ok now for the LSN question. If your truck is not doing wheelies with that gear ratio then yes i would say your low speed needle is really rich, but thats barring that any damage/excessive wear has been done. Your LSN controls the bottom 1/3 of fuel delivery and the HSN controls the top 1/3 and the two of them together control the middle 1/3 so if you can think of the needles in that way it will help you out in adjusting your carb. So if you lean the LSN yeah you will notice the acceleration pick up as you would if you leaned out the HSN but keep in mind you don't want to lean it out to much on one needle. I think it even says don't turn the HSN more than 2 turn in past flush in the manual. Well i hope this helps you out and answers your questions.

if you do try the diffuser see if the temps go down and if you haven't cut the holes in the body yet run with out it till you do. I wouldnt really run the truck if the temps are over 250.

i will be installing the diffuser soon and cut the body asap before i run it again. i'll adjust the lsn as well slightly and see what happens.

good luck 2d i hope that CBK's advice helps you if not I'm sure we can all brain storm and figure something out

yea i think its going to be the lsn messing me up cause after i reset all the needles back to stock settings i never adjusted the lsn so its at the richest setting possible right now. i will be working on it saturday so i'll let everyone know

try it with out the diffuser first if it still runs hot try putting the diffuser in and see if that helps. You might have to adjust your needles again once you put the diffuser in. But only a little bit cause it will change the exhaust pressure some and put a little more pressure in the tank so you might be running a little richer when you put the diffuser in. But like i said i had to put the diffuser in when i was first breaking in my motor to make it run right but had to take it out after the break in was done.

ok well actually then i may not have to adjust the needles if it makes it richer cause i need to richen up the hsn a little so that might help there and I'm gonna try adjusting the lsn first and see what happens. i want to start seeing wheelies so bad. I'm also looking at getting the hpi ribbed pipe what kind of affect should that play and how does it mount to the side of the chassis? i know the stock one screws on but i don't see how the ribbed pipe mounts up

I'm also looking at getting the hpi ribbed pipe what kind of affect should that play and how does it mount to the side of the chassis?

I know someone who has the ribbed pipe on their 4.1 and there isnt really a difference between that and the stock pipe other than it being louder. I would say your money would be better spent if you got hpi's chubby head because it will drop your engine temps about 30-40 degrees and you'll beable to lean it out more for more power. I get my truck going and take a vid of it for you so you can see my truck i have a 4.1 with 6 1/2 gallons on the motor with the stock exhaust, gears are 15/49 with the chubby head i'll try and get that done tomorrow cause its raining here today.

I'm hopin mine will do that. can't wait to work on it again after 1 week of not even touching it

well i tuned my lsn slightly and still no wheelie my temps are right now about 270 so they definately dropped with the diffuser in but why still no wheelie?

270 is still to high did you return your needles back to stock? or did you just put the diffuser in?

no i didn't put the needles back to stock should i try that with the diffuser in?

the main thing i noticed now with the diffuser in i gotta adjust the trans to shift earlier. thats the main thing i noticed

i would set the needles back to stock and retune from there, one other question do you have any of the plastic spacers on the shock bodies? If not you might want to put one on each of the rear shocks that should help it do wheelies. I don't have any spacers on mine cause i don't want the wheelies and i have my slipper a little loose. But i'll adjust my suspension and tighten my slipper and take a vid when i get the chance. But i would be more concerned with the temps being so high. Your going to wear out your enginge alot faster than you should.

i do have one clip on each rear shock already. i just was looking at my truck while setting all the needles back to stock my slipper was really loose but not loose enough to wear it out. its retightened and I'm running it again tonight i'll let u know tomorrow. i will adjust before i start bashing mine again

well i set everythin back to stock and had a hell of a time keeping the truck running from how rich it was then. leaned up the carb about 3/4 turn and it stayed running good temps were definately lower but i didn't have my temp gun with me just did spit test and it was 4 secs roughly. then adjusted the lsn slightly probably in total about 1/2 turn or somewhere right in there and this thing is now running really strong. made a few passes warming it up and then gave it full throttle from standing still and boom right on the roof my jaw dropped. its finally wheelieng. me and my friend got some videos tonight that will be submitted tomorrow of us bashing and one of a cop radaring us. yes a local cop actually was intrigued in our cars and asked us how fast they ran and we said lets find out clock us. he did :). thanks for everyone's help i've already gotta replace my rear body mount its ground almost down lol. I'm gonna make up a custom rear bumper so i can save my body and rear bumper. thanks again and look for the vids to come tomorrow

well I'm glad to hear your savage x is doing wheelies! lol as me and other people had said it should wheelie fairly easily! so now enjoy the fun!! thats what this forum is all about( helping others in need!) and for the record i did the exact same thing when i hit the throttle the first time i chewed up the roll bar and body from it flipping over! lmao

Last edited by a moderator:
YOU DID IT BUD, its doing whelis like a champ. what info helped out the best on this problem you had?

27 mph? back to the drawingboard..............................lol

Glad things are finally came around, 2DX.
Everything your getting aound to doing, I mentioned at the beginning of this thread...When a stated to adjust the hsn a 1/2 turn richer, That was an emergecy adjustment to keep it from being toasted...
Always adjust the needles 1/8 of a turn in general so you can track you progress in the tune. keeping it slightly rich as this will help preserve its lifespan... whats left of it. Good luck.

LOL figures i started to adjust my suspension and slipper then i said ahh let me check the forums to see if 2D replyed back and sure enough. Glad that the truck is running and doing wheelies, just keep an eye on the temps cause the motor is still fairly new. Like i said with mine i had to put the diffuser in to keep the temps down in the begging but had to take it out after the break in was done because the temps started to climb. So if you notice that the temps are climbing back up the motor might be broken in and then you can take the diffuser out and it should be good again. Also just don't adjust the hsn from here on out you will have to adjust both needles. And listen to Doob and keep it a little rich to prolong the enigine life. I'm nearing 7 gallons with mine and still runs like a champ. Now that ive said what i have to I'm gonna go run mine and take a little vid.

awesome vid dude mine will do wheelie's easier on pavement than grass right now. still need some fine fine tuning. the main thing that helped me out was that diffuser. i ran my truck tonight with a bunch of other guys and my truck never got above 245. temps were 220-240 all night long. i will be posting vids probably tomorrow or tuesday of what we all did tonight in the video section. we had in total 6 cars and trucks all out tonight bashing and racing. my night ended when my upper control arm for the front came apart after getting run over by a stadium truck. but once again thank u everyone for ur help. even the guy at the lhs said thats not the same truck. makes me feel good my hard work and time on here is paying off. thanks again

Latest posts

Members online

Back