What Shock Towers to use

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage 6768

Hi all
What is the best shock tower to use Standard or Alloy when using just the 4 big bore shocks or is there mod that can be done to brace the shock tower, reason being have noticed the rear shock tower seems to be bending inwards on my savage CD build. I am running the shocks on the outside of the shock tower at the moment or should I change the rear ones to the inside ( would that change the handling )
Cheers

What towers do you have? The later model X ones where the body mount goes through the ears on the tower and is retained by big plastic clips or the old ones?

The later model ones were beefed up to deal with 4 shock setup. I guess over time, they could sag though. Haven't noticed it on my X or flux hp.

I would stick with the stock plastic. Alum towers have no flexibility and also bend easy. You could switch to carbon fiber if you can find some for the savage, but modifications to make them work will be in order.

What towers do you have? The later model X ones where the body mount goes through the ears on the tower and is retained by big plastic clips or the old ones?

The later model ones were beefed up to deal with 4 shock setup. I guess over time, they could sag though. Haven't noticed it on my X or flux hp.

They are off the flux hp so gather the newer ones. When I compress the suspension the shock tower flexs but I gather they all do that being plastic. I have a new one in my spares so I might just swap it out and see how it goes. Will it hurt by putting the shock on the inside as only using 4 of the hpi big bore shocks not the 8 shock set up ?

I can't imagine there would be issues moving the shocks to the inside, as long as there's clearance for the front tie-rod and rear turnbuckle.

Latest posts

Members online

Back