What engines for late 2014

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmind

I had asked this question almost 4 years ago. (DAM where did 4 years go): Whats the best engine for late 2010/2011. The answer LRP or Picco. I ended up with an LRP .28. it was for real... Now i'm surprised to not see Picco around still. I don't see where you can purchase .28's? I see the .21's. Also, Axial out of the nitro engine market? Wow... You go into a cave for a couple of years everything changes.

Now I know the first answer to this question, is always a question. What is the budget? For me, I have purchase $80 and $350 NFL jerseys. The only reason why is Value. I would spend $400+ if the engine could be tuned by a 4 year old and hold that tune for 10 gallons. :)

What is your opinion:
So what is the best value engine out there these days?
If you have a no limit budget what engine would you purchase?
What is the tune pipe these days?
What clutch do you like these days? Or cool clutch systems out there for savys?

Thanks for your time and support,
Nick

lrp,axial( I can find them for sale a my lhs)o.s., and picco, if u can find them.( I haven't looked). as for pipes, everyone here will tell u to buy an ercm pipe. if I had no budget, I'd buy a 2-stroke engine from a losi lst xxl2 and put it in my savage. I run a stock clutch, so I can't help u there.

The novarossi is a fine motor but is easy 2 tune and holds true can buy carb itamizers and makes tuning even easier. Hope this helps ya out, and I 2 had thought about the 2 stroke but went with the nova 28-7rt modded

if I had no budget, I'd buy a 2-stroke engine from a losi lst xxl2 and put it in my savage.

Yea, buying an expensive motor that has less performance than the stock HPI 4.6 sounds like a good idea.......:confused:

hey, to some people the price of gas is worth it. but yea, I didn't think of that. and yes, I forgot about the novarossi. they are also good engines

Subbing, I'm in the same boat...
Kinda seems that the MT, and nitro are dead

I hate to say it. But I completely feel the same way. It looks like everyone and there dad are all into Electric Short Course. Does HPI still throw those Savage events any more?

The only engine i see readily available (in terms of MT) are LRP, HPI, Nova, Losi and OS. Did the Chinese low end engines beat all manufactures out?

You seem to be forgetting that OFNA still makes several nice nitro engines too...Nova Rossi also has a couple .28 engines to choose from also,and they just brought back the REX line of nitro engines....
I don't think there is a shortage of quality nitro engines out there to choose from.....

Now that there is a long list, what is the best valued mill? Nova?

Does everyone run stock pipes and clutches?

I'm not sure what the "best" 1 out there is. Its all personal opinion I guess, at least between a couple brands. I haven't had but a couple car engines, but I have had a few for the planes. And there are a bunch of brands out there but only bout 3 that most people really recommends, the lrp which is in the team associated, the picco which is a ofna if I'm correct, and the nova. And I don't think that u will go wrong with either, like I said I said it's all personal opinion. Mine was the nova I went with the 28-7rt, but the Roma is super strong but is only a .25 or 4.1. So good luck and good building, read up on each, and c if can watch each run then decide. There's a few other good Italian made motors out there.just think ducati, maserati, lamborghini, ferrari,and the pagani all r Italian made and r all bout the top of the line so I would have 2 say that they know fast motors.sorry 4 the long post but hope it helps

I have had OS, Axial,SH,Losi,OFNA, Associated, and many others, with modern technology most all engines are decent, is just in how they are treated as to how long they last and perform......

I have had OS, Axial,SH,Losi,OFNA, Associated, and many others, with modern technology most all engines are decent, is just in how they are treated as to how long they last and perform......
I agree I was just saying that Italians put pride and excellence into their builds. As in there will be significantly less flaws, if any in the top italian brands as in many others and probably balanced a lot better also. I'm not saying that u can't get as much performance or durability out of others, just stating that these will b already there without having 2 do Xtra or anything 2 them. I have a buddy that has an exceed racing nitro that has factory motor that has had 12+ gallons thru it.Its just not as common as it is with the more premium engines

Not that it would b a drifter but the body will fit on the savage x.It might look funny tho who knows but I know that it will fit I have put bodies that said 1/10 scale 200 mm on my savage x

I'm thinking of getting the hpi 1978 trans-am body for mine actually.I'm eventually gonna fix my charger up like general lee and have the trans-am as the smoky and the bandit. lol my dream car is the 1978 trans-am, I love that car

My experience with nitro engines has been that you get out of them what you put into them... Be it time or money... I beleive the main difference is in the quality control...

I have an STS .30 with 8 gallons that runs like a champ, and its one of the most notoriously unreliable budget motors out there.. I pulled it apart, cleaned all the flash, sealed the backplate, swapped the carb, lubed the orings, broke it in properly... If it was a Nova I could have most likely dropped it in and ripped...

I think, that with lipos and bl being what it is, and affordable, that's why people have drifted away from nitro... It takes effort and attention to detail, or piles of money lol

A true gearhead can never escape the desire to own a tiny handheld fuel powered mill that can put a 12 pound monster truck on it's lid from a standstill and rip running wheelies at speed! It's too much to give up, thus the reason I still have a Savage X4.6 in my stable even after owning a couple FLUX HP's and brushless shortcourse!

Stock 4.6 going good, but I think I would go for the LRP .30 when I need a new engine.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LRP-ZR-...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d17f758fa

You cant go wrong with the LRP 28, or the Losi 454 in my opinion. I have both, they are the same engine, I love mine but got to the point where I wanted more power. I went with the LRP 32 and a ERCM pipe and got what I was after, gobs of power and easy tuning. My Savage X is brutal with that combo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jr.
I went with the LRP 32 and a ERCM pipe and got what I was after, gobs of power and easy tuning. My Savage X is brutal with that combo.

What a very dumb idea man... Look at my new mill...

What am I talking about, your a mad genius. :)
Mine was received in the mail on Saturday, here it's Thursday and I haven't even installed it. Man this whole, "work your butt off" is crap...

I guess i will follow the lead and get me a ERCM pipe...

I use to take apart my new mills and inspect the components, and lube them up. Is that a waste of time these days?

Anyways, guys i do appreciate the comments and support. Thank you,
Nick

Go Chargers!@#$%^^&*( Need to take down the Pats this weekend!!!

I agree, same reason I bought another. But trips to my lhs's tell me we are the minority nowadays

I have about 4 or 5 LHS near me, about 40 miles difference. All of them don't carry any, if not one mill. I completely agree we're the minority in a pool of brushless bashers...

Nice!!! You will love that engine and pipe. I don't like pull starts and LRP doesn't offer a roto start back plate for the 32 but the LRP 28 back plate fits perfect and works great, that is what I have on mine. I did take mine apart and sealed the motor when I installed the backplate. Also I used the stock HPI XL 5.9 clutch kit, it works great without breaking the bank. Here is the kit I bought.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Savage-...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d20cca082

Here is my truck with the 32 and the ERCM pipe. I have since changed these shocks and went with the big bore shocks.

Last edited:
I use to take apart my new mills and inspect the components, and lube them up. Is that a waste of time these days?

I would. LRPs are well built engines, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. A little bit of leftover flashing could ruin your new engine fun.

Latest posts

Members online

Back