Whats the best engine for late 2010/2011

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmind

Hello all,

I'm getting back to running my Savages. But i'm thinking of replacing they engines on them. Whats the best bashing mill these days for savys? My price range is around $150 to $250. But whats a good pipe to go with the mill also?

Thanks for your time and help,
Nick

well in my opinion and most other members i'm sure my 2 picks would be the picco 28 p3 or the LRP 28 there both great engines but the picco has the edge and will run you around $200 but its worth every penny and the best pipe for it would be the ofna 086 pipe, hope this helps and welcome back to the savage world my friend lol

well in my opinion and most other members i'm sure my 2 picks would be the picco 28 p3 or the LRP 28 there both great engines but the picco has the edge and will run you around $200 but its worth every penny and the best pipe for it would be the ofna 086 pipe, hope this helps and welcome back to the savage world my friend lol

lol Thanks. Its good to be back. I had a LRP once on my savy, a few years back. I was happy with it. But I must of had stored it wrong, and unmaintained. As now its performing like crap. But again LRP was great at first. Btw whats the best pipe for the LRP? And are we talking about .28 or the .30?

But I have always liked OFNA engines, ok, except for the hyper .21, f'ing mid-range needle was a pain to set. :)

Again, thanks for your time.
Nick

I'm all for the 28's, because hands down a 28 will smoke the larger engines,and I'm not 100% sure what the best pipe for the LRP would be but i think the 086 is one of the best for the higher end motors!! But i could be wrong on that for the LRP hopefully someone else will add a bit more info for you....

http://www.grossishop.com/usa/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=110

g.jpg

Think I'm gonna get that set up when the 5.9 blows out. i mean the race package is only 1200$ money man umno

Glad your back in the game Nick. From all the info that I've gathered over the last few months when I was lookin to get a new mill (ended up not gettin one cuz of $), it all depends out what your plans are for the mill. If you gonna get it modded before you break it in, then go with the Picco P3. If your not gonna get it modded, then go with the LRP 28. While the Picco is a great motor, I've heard that the LRP has better bottom end (torque) than the Picco, that's stock versus stock. But modded, between the 2 mills, Picco is hands down the winner. It basically all depends on how far you wanna go with the mill. As far as pipes go, Like shaun said, Ofna 086 is your best bet and they can be found pretty cheap on ebay from what I've been told. I got mine in a trade for a savage motor mount. Haven't ran it yet though.

I know a google search would be best. But Picco 28 have a roto start option? Also what the best place to buy these days?

Thanks,
Nick

yep my picco has the rotostart backplate....but alot say your better off with a pullstart on the higher compression engines as the roto is really hard one the one way bearing.......

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a google search would be best. But Picco 28 have a roto start option? Also what the best place to buy these days?

Thanks,
Nick

Pretty much every place has them for about the same price +/- $5-10. Even ebay doesn't have the cheapest price on the picco. I guess it all depends on who has it in stock and how fast you want it.

Glad your back in the game Nick. From all the info that I've gathered over the last few months when I was lookin to get a new mill (ended up not gettin one cuz of $), it all depends out what your plans are for the mill. If you gonna get it modded before you break it in, then go with the Picco P3. If your not gonna get it modded, then go with the LRP 28. While the Picco is a great motor, I've heard that the LRP has better bottom end (torque) than the Picco, that's stock versus stock. But modded, between the 2 mills, Picco is hands down the winner. It basically all depends on how far you wanna go with the mill. As far as pipes go, Like shaun said, Ofna 086 is your best bet and they can be found pretty cheap on ebay from what I've been told. I got mine in a trade for a savage motor mount. Haven't ran it yet though.

i agree with getting the lrp .28 with the ofna 086 and also the lrp is easier to tune then the picco.

Members online

Back