weird diff problem?!?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pietrOmertaBMC

anyone had this problem before? look at the pics ;)

the inside of my diff.... seems the screws fell out??? after some months of driving... this is the result... my pinion and big gear are still in perfect shape coz i immediatly stopped driving when i heard something weird.

105qu6h.jpg

201aue.jpg

5k0fi0.jpg

2gt6aur.jpg

einozd.jpg

this is strange no????

did the screws fall out or snap off? they look way short but i cant tell caz of the grease.

after some months of driving... this is the result...

this is likely the reason; you gotta rip them bad boiz out & service em around a gallon or so.

i had my screws back out when i was using the phillips head screws. the truck just locked up when the screws dug into the bulkhead. i have switched to hex head screws and red locktite and havnt had this problem since. keep in mind tho with red locktite you need heat to remove the screws

Looks like they snapped off, but it could very well be because they backed out a little, just enough to let the ring gear work back and forth against them. The first time I worked on my diffs, I noticed one screw was broken, and two others were slightly loose. Seems we've found another set of screws that HPI doesn't threadloc very well.

I don't know, HPI lock-tighted the heck out of the screws in my stock XL's diffs. Even with a heat gun they were tough to turn. Without it they were impossible. They had lock tight from the end of the screw all the way up to, and around, the head.

well i think its weird coz its a new model that comes with the BP diffs so its probably somebody of assembly who didnt locktite enough coz my other diffs both from my nitro and the other flux diff are still tight as hell so i guess this can happen i wont make a fuss about it.

i mailed them some pics maybe its something that happened before don't know....

this leaves me with a crippled flux nevertheless so bummer... its a nice weekend so :(

:chainkiller:pROBABLY NOT ENOUGH LOC-TITE. MY STOCK 4.6 I COULD BARLY GET THE SCREWS OUT. HAD TO HEAT AND PLACE IN VICE TO GET APART. NEXT TIME THE DIFF SCREWS WILL NEED TO BE NEW.

First time i took the diff screws out i had extreme difficulty and all the screws rounded...

Second time, i don't think i put enough loc tite and upon opening the bulks i noticed the diff screws were lose (had not unscrewed though)

Third time i put plenty of threadlock (blue) but they were a litte loose again. (i think diff oil got in the threads and prevented the loc tite doing its job)

Its lucky i re build my truck so often or i think i would have ban-ban-ban-ban-ibly destroyed my BP diffs many times!

Make sure you don't get any diff oil in the screw threads!

Latest posts

Members online

Back