Wanting to upgrade my throttle and steering servo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atarioldskool

Hi all,

I currently have stock servo’s on my Savage XL Nitro, Since I have upgraded a few of the components Example steering crank, OFNA throttle / break, I now want to upgrade the servo’s.

What throttle servo and steering servo would you recommend looking at ?
£40-£50 max budget for each

I’m no racer and do not do any severe bashing! No more than 3 feet high jumps.

Definitely looking for waterproof steering servo

Thanks guys

I figure once they have the brand/model, then they can search where it suits them. Amazon drops products less frequently, so I usually use that as a source for anyone that runs into this thread 6 months from now.

I have a lot of ebay bookmarks that are useless now because the item is too old to see.

that is why they put an edit feature on things like bookmarks :lmao:

and E Bay is usually cheaper than amazon for most all things, I use both searches then buy the cheapest with free shipping........

that is why they put an edit feature on things like bookmarks :lmao:

and E Bay is usually cheaper than amazon for most all things, I use both searches then buy the cheapest with free shipping........
Yeah, I know, but at the moment, you make a bookmark and intend on going back to find it at a retail place or add comments... then a year later, you click on it and it goes to a dead page on ebay and you forget what it was for.

Or, something like firefox upgrades and dumps the comment field from bookmarks. That really irritated me.

I’ve had a lot of luck with Hitec and more recently Savox servos. I would just go on Amain or just search them in google. They’re reasonably priced and have very good performance. Might be a bit more expensive for waterproof ones though, I have not looked...

Make sure to look for high torque ones! Around 200oz area is a good place to start IMO

Each bucks which you invested in good Servos with metal gear and high torque with short reaction time give you a big smile when you use your Savage in action- important for the steering because you will drive big 3.8 ( 40 series) wheels and your savage is following your steering on your remote control!! This make big smiles in your face!!
Each dollar is worth to invest in good Servos!!
I had evenso very good experience with Hitec and Savöx!
Spend more money in an good Servo and you have fun over the next years !!!
I use the Savöx SB 2230 SG Digital
Yes it cost double as you would spent , but these servo are very durability and had enormous power to turn each big wheels in high speed and sharp corners!
I can only recommend to buy an High torque
Servo , better than invest in an good painting body - that’s my mind 50A34D98-E02A-439D-A247-614696840B37.pngF80F9E3E-7511-4A4B-8630-3C685EF3192D.png

There is no way on earth I would pay $120.00 plus for a servo, for bashing all you need is a decent servo with at least 200 oz in torque and metal gears...

now if I were racing 1/8 scale buggy or onroad I could see using the best equipment, but for general bashing and messing about spending all that on electronics is just wasteful in my humble opinion.....

Every person can have their own open mind .
Someone drive light Buggys , someone drive big fat Monster Trucks

My comment before was my personal mind , where I like to spend more money to get an good steering feeling and performance

To each their own. I wouldn't shy away from a servo like that, if you want the best then thats what you should get. Metal gears and 200oz is fine for our trucks, thats what I currently have, but if you want the ultimate performance then why not?

Ive been looking at their waterproof one myself, sells for around $80.

The last one I bought was for my outcast. I don't know why, I just bought it because that's what so many people on the arrma forum used and what my bashing buddy had in his talion. I saw him smack into so much stuff and land bad so many times... figured spending $80 on a servo was a good investment. I got the savox SW1210SG. Not sure I'd run two of those on a savage off a 6V NiMH, a bit overkill for the t/b and for the somewhat anemic servo saver spring. Also, not the quickest at 6V.

I run the hitec 985MG on all 3 of my nitros for t/b duty. It's sealed case with o-rings including the output shaft. I still put a dab of green slime on the output shaft down into the o-ring to help keep it lubed and free moving. It's fast and plenty strong for t/b use on any truck really. I ran one on my 5B SS when I had it for t/b and it would lock up the tires pretty easily.

I don't think they offer it anymore, has changed to 5985 or 7985. Still similar specs and price. Not nearly as powerful as the savox and really... $80 is $80. I don't think it has as much of a current draw as the savox though, which is something else to think about on a nitro truck with a 6V NiMH pack running everything.

All that said, I'd never run a non-waterproof servo on any of my trucks again. Just isn't worth the hassle. With waterproof, you can hit it with a hose and not worry about it. Or run in wet grass/snow/mud without wondering if your going to cook your pricey servo or have a run away because it got wet. So, regardless what you buy, I'd get waterproof.

Totally agree Olds, and I didn’t even think about that but yeah waterproof would make cleaning your truck a lot easier!

I bought a glitch buster for the truck I have a savox in and it’s been fine. You could always go for a 7.4 LiPo receiver pack too correct? For the extra power?

Yeah, going with a LiPo would more than likely give you a much needed boost in current flow. Even with a regulator, if it's allowing 15A through at 6V, odds are you won't have brown out issues running a couple savox.

I was reading the specs on some hitec servos. I'm 99% sure they were 1/5th scale, but they had a 9A-10A stall current:
https://hitecrcd.com/products/servos/premium-digital-servos/d845wp-32/product

I think that's 1/5th scale.

This I think is standard sized and it tops out at 5.2A stall:
https://hitecrcd.com/products/servos/premium-digital-servos/d954sw/product

I don't know how many amps a typical $20 2/3A 6V pack can put out.

Hi guys
Thank you on your recommendations.
Since then I’ve had a look and have come across 2 servos that I like, both are made by savox.

I am not sure wether the extra £30 between these 2 servos - will I see a massive difference in performance ? Is it worth paying that extra £30?
Do I really even need the servo that has 277 torque for what I want to use my buggy for ?
I am using a 6v battery

Currently I have the following servos
Hpi sf-2 , hpi sf-5 and hpi sf-10 all NOT waterproof
So anything new which is 10 times better than these would be good

Out of the 2 servo which would you recommend ?

Option 1
Spec:
Spec Check:

• Dimensions(mm): 41.8x20.2x42.9
  • Weight(g): 66
  • Speed(@6.0V sec/60): .17
  • Torque(@6.0V oz-in): 208.0 (15kg)
  • Gear: Metal
  • Bearing: 2BB
  • Case: Plastic
  • 25 Tooth Spline
11A17F49-97D2-4A1B-AA90-08F59D30D113.png

Option 2
Spec
  • Dimensions(mm): 40.6x20.7x42.0
  • Weight(g): 71
  • Speed(@4.8V sec/60): .18
  • Torque(@4.8V oz-in): 222.2
  • Speed(@6.0V sec/60): .15
  • Torque(@6.0V oz-in): 277.7
  • Gear: Unique Steel
  • Bearing: 2BB
  • Case: Aluminum
  • 25 Tooth Spline371787BA-9C3D-4BBC-9F15-49F1EA18FF77.png

Honesty either of these would be totally fine. They are both waterproof and have over 200oz of torque, the extra 70oz of torque is cool but I really don’t think you’ll miss it. And the alloy case is neat, but again unessasary.

I feel like the first option is the better deal here. And yeah like you said either one of these is going to be a HUGE upgrade over stock, that’s for sure!

Thanks for that
I’m just a bit unsure regarding the speed
The standard stock hpi servo speed is .11 seconds
But the torque is very low.

The savox servos the torque is so much higher but the speed is .17 and .15 seconds
Not really sure what the speed is about and what’s meant to be better

Thanks for that
I’m just a bit unsure regarding the speed
The standard stock hpi servo speed is .11 seconds
But the torque is very low.

The savox servos the torque is so much higher but the speed is .17 and .15 seconds
Not really sure what the speed is about and what’s meant to be better

Servo speed is measured at 0 to 60 degrees of movement, do not worry too much about it, just buy something with the torque you are looking for and use it.....

https://www.servocity.com/servo-power-speed

Typically, a faster one on the throttle makes the engine feel more responsive.

That one I linked too is pretty fast and strong @6V, so would work well for both steering and throttle/brake:
https://www.amazon.com/Power-HD-WP-23KG-Waterproof-Digital/dp/B06XBS18YZ

I have an 0231 on one of my nitro revos for steering. It works pretty good. When using it though, you can see the speed difference between it when compared to the hitec 985MG I have for t/b which is rated .13sec @6V. It's not a huge difference and would likely go unnoticed for a basher.

Thank guys for explaining it to me

Olds97 is this brand any good ?
I’m not really into rc so not really sure what I’d good, and which are cheap and cheerful.
I do know savox are a decent brand.

Would the savox sw0231 be good for the throttle
And also steering ? So I buy 2 of these ?
Or even the amazon link servo you have provided ?

I’m not really sure what I am lol
Defo not a racer or w dedicated basher!

More of a guy that takes it out now and then with my boy have a few races with him in the park (not a race track)
And couple of jumps 3-4 feet high

I know all the servos that I’m looking at are so much better than the standard stock hpi servo for torque but would the speed play apart ?
Cus all the servo I’m looking at are much slower thank the hpi.

I know jam said don’t reallt worry about he speed, but I don’t want to buy servos that overall is only slightly better than the stock servos

As for reverse gear servo - I guess I’m ok to buy the hpi waterproof servo ?
Or is there something out here that’s cheap as chips. But is still better than he hpi

Guys on the arrma forum seem to like that Power-HD servo. I haven't bought one yet myself.

The 0231 servo should be fine for both t/b and steering as a basher. I'd really suggest getting a glitch buster cap to run with them though if your using a NiMH 6V pack. You won't really need much torque/speed for a reverse servo.

What does the glitch buster cap actually do ?
I’ve only just come across them
Especially for the old savox servo
Rc shops recommend it with old savox servo but no mention with the new ones
Like the one I’m looking it.

Would to much torque be bad for an rc ?
Anyone else recommend this servo that on the amazon link ?

The cap helps with supplying a bit of extra surge current. A cap is an electronic storage device in this instance (they have other uses). They supply a lot of current really quickly and charge back up really quickly. When you start any electric motor, the initial movement requires a bit more current than it does once it's moving. The cap helps supply that current.

It won't help much at full lock/stall current, but it will help with brown outs when the motor goes from idle to moving. The larger the cap, the more help it can supply.

Hi Atarioldskool in need of the same thing, was using with no problems the HiTec HS-5955TG servo on steering, what ones did you go for in end?
Many Thanks

Latest posts

Back