Used Savage Motor issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Jaxon

Picked up a Savage 4.6 today off of craigslist. It has a different motor on it which the owner stated was a .28 motor but was unsure of brand, model, etc.

I noticed he had the HSN turned in quite a bit as it was very noticeable how far below flush it was. The car would start up but would choke out before shifting into second gear. Sometimes when holding the wheels off the ground it would shift all the way up into third before choking out.

Just trying to get an idea of what I should be looking for as the culprit. I tried backing the needles out to flush but couldn't get it to start unless I screwed the HSN several (4-5) clockwise rotations in from flush.

They couldve damaged the needles if they turned them in to far. I would look at them for starters also might start with a freash glo plug.

Anytime you buy a used RC (gas or nitro) the first thing you do is go back to factory settings for the engine and re-tune. Save yourself alot of hassles that way. ;)

Post a picture of the engine, we should be able to identify it for you.

Post up some photo's of the engine. We may be able to help figure out what engine it is. I've had all sorts of engines over the years and the needles in reference to flush are different from brand to brand. Some are above flush at break-in settings, others are below, some are flush.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back