Upgrading to the XL width!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bud

If you want that new Savage XL width on your older Savage truck, it is not as simple as buying the extended axles and spacers. The XL uses a much larger dogbone. The previous dogbones will flop around inside the XL axle. You will need the new axles, spacers, dogbones and differential outdrives. The outdrives are selling for a little over half the cost of a complete new XL differential on the E-Market. I switched three of my four non-XL trucks over and the stability is super! Just hoping to save somebody from buying the axles and spacers, thinking that will get the job done. Bud

I was aware of the chassis plates, engine mounting plate and longer rear shaft for the length conversion. I was not aware of the width conversion. I will have to check that out. Thanks, Bud

This is the only axle kit and it is standard width and here is the chassis length kit. Those new bones are super strong, I wish they would come out with the wide axles in a kit. I guess you could buy the heavy duty dogbone kit, then spring for a set of extended axles and spacers. I found it by checking for upgrades for the 4.6 trucks. Bud

Would you get close the the xl width with a set of offset wheels?

The only offset wheels I have are an old set of RPMs, they get pretty close with Bow Ties on them. Put them on XL axles and you can challenge a wide track Pontiac. 8^) There will be less than an inch difference. I have photos as soon as I learn how, I will post them. Bud

z25xl.jpg

Those are both Savage 25s, one has the wide axles.... Bud

s25xlb.jpg

Savage XL with a Savage 25 that has off set wheels and the wide XL axles.

If the proline velocity wheels are 1/2 inch offset wouldnt that widen the savage x an inch making it about the same width?

If not, it would have to be very close. Bud

its cheaper at least at my lhs to buy the wide axles, dog bones and outdrives, then it is to buy the conversion and the wide axles. i just did this swap to my x. I also put the chassis extension in as well.

are the center dog bones a standard size. in the picture they don't look any different then the original dog bones, just longer. thanks for the help. I'm doing the conversion and just don't want to buy any more then i have to.

are the center dog bones a standard size. in the picture they don't look any different then the original dog bones, just longer. thanks for the help. I'm doing the conversion and just don't want to buy any more then i have to.

i re read my post and even i have trouble understading. lol. my question is the drive cups on the drive line, are they still the same size. i know the dogbones to the wheels are bigger and you need the large drive cups, which ive already taken care of. just the others I'm not sure of. hopefully someone who has done the conversion can shed some light.

88 the center drive cups are the same. just the driveshaft length is different. but the shaft comes with the conversion kit for the chassis

i just bought all the pieces individually through auction to save a few bucks. thanks for the help. i should have it all since the cups are the same:jamout:

Here's a thought.... I've been thinking about converting my Sav25 into either an X or XL, but I now think that it would be better to buy either of them, or both perhaps eventually???

Take into consideration the cost of a new gearbox, diff's, engine TVP's etc...

adam all the 25 drivetrain parts will fit the x or xl chassis plates the only issue you will have is the motor plate braces have to be clearanced for the drive shaft .

I know that a vast majority of the 25's parts will transfer over... Its just that the later X & XL has the upgraded transmission, bigger engine etc that mine doesn't have.

I know that I could convert mine to either X or XL over time, but I think that it would be more cost effective for me to sell mine (And I haven't even used it yet, LOL!!!) and buy one of them instead.

Latest posts

Members online

Back