Upgrade shocks for HPI Savage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaiderHam75

Looking for good aftermarket shocks. What are my best choices? Pretend I'm dumb.

Listen up stupid, the hpi big bores are likely your best bet. Good for bashing, jumping etc. The stock 8 shock setup is good for bashing to and they are very cheap and parts are easy to find. Most aftermarket shocks like integy leak, not all but many, and there isn't a way around that.

The powerstroke shocks are pretty good, and they will lower your truck down a bit so it will handle better but you will lose ground clearance.

You can also convert to the Losi lst2 shock setup, I myself have not tried them but a lot of people like this setup. You will need the adaptor brackets to make them work or follow the write up on here to do it.

Just kidding about the stupid part lol.

Listen up stupid, the hpi big bores are likely your best bet. Good for bashing, jumping etc. The stock 8 shock setup is good for bashing to and they are very cheap and parts are easy to find. Most aftermarket shocks like integy leak, not all but many, and there isn't a way around that.

The powerstroke shocks are pretty good, and they will lower your truck down a bit so it will handle better but you will lose ground clearance.

You can also convert to the Losi lst2 shock setup, I myself have not tried them but a lot of people like this setup. You will need the adaptor brackets to make them work or follow the write up on here to do it.

Just kidding about the stupid part lol.
Thanks

I also got integy big bores on two rigs and they don't leak at all for me, They did however need a bit of tuning and the right oil wt to work perfect for my savage.

I scored the Integy Big Bore set off E bay a couple years ago, once I sealed them and slimed all the O Rings and diaphram and put the oil in they have been holding up fine on my Savage....

DSCN1783.jpg

I like how they come with Tapered holes in the shock piston so they are really adjustable for any use one might have, hard annoed bodies and uses all the regular Big Bore internals also makes them nice and I love the look of them alot.....

I am looking at getting a set of those to, my big bores keep snapping the top eyelet.

I scored the Integy Big Bore set off E bay a couple years ago, once I sealed them and slimed all the O Rings and diaphram and put the oil in they have been holding up fine on my Savage....

DSCN1783.jpg

I like how they come with Tapered holes in the shock piston so they are really adjustable for any use one might have, hard annoed bodies and uses all the regular Big Bore internals also makes them nice and I love the look of them alot.....
You wouldn't happen to have part # would ya

Part # is T6710 red, they do come in other colors, but good luck finding them although I did see Integy has a couple sets on their site.....

Very sorry to hijack this thread.
Got the same question with savage x 4.6 as well.
Will it fit?

Anyone know if the integy big bores will bolt up to a stock Savage 25 shock tower? Or did they change the tower when they went to the 4 shock setup?

Very sorry to hijack this thread.
Got the same question with savage x 4.6 as well.
Will it fit?

@Hpi_DirtDawg57, the shock tower did change from the Savage 25 and what is currently used. The Savage 25 had only one mounting position for the shocks, where the newer tower has three.

That being said, I believe those Integy shocks should fit all Savage models just fine.

Thank you!
The rigs designed for 4 shocks (X,XL,FLUX HP) has thicker webbing in the tower as well and it's better braced. Running only 4 shocks puts all the load on one side of the tower. Without the more robust tower, it will bend quite a bit on landing. That is if you intend on running just 4 shocks.

My issue with the big bores (I run plastic) is that I keep snapping shock ends. I have a feeling it's partly due to my rig having RPM lower arms on it. I bought it used and it came with the hpi suspension conversion kit on it with RPM lower arms. They twist a lot which I think is what causes my shock ends to snap. I have dropped my oil down to 40 or 50 with the plastic big bores and am running white springs front/yellow rear on my flux hp. Also put a set of pro-line trenchers on it, the taller ones, which adds extra cushion. Has lasted quite a while without snapping a shock end.

Wish I could find an alternative shock end though. I hate spending $16+ for a parts tree that has 4 ends on it.

The rigs designed for 4 shocks (X,XL,FLUX HP) has thicker webbing in the tower as well and it's better braced. Running only 4 shocks puts all the load on one side of the tower. Without the more robust tower, it will bend quite a bit on landing. That is if you intend on running just 4 shocks.

My issue with the big bores (I run plastic) is that I keep snapping shock ends. I have a feeling it's partly due to my rig having RPM lower arms on it. I bought it used and it came with the hpi suspension conversion kit on it with RPM lower arms. They twist a lot which I think is what causes my shock ends to snap. I have dropped my oil down to 40 or 50 with the plastic big bores and am running white springs front/yellow rear on my flux hp. Also put a set of pro-line trenchers on it, the taller ones, which adds extra cushion. Has lasted quite a while without snapping a shock end.

Wish I could find an alternative shock end though. I hate spending $16+ for a parts tree that has 4 ends on it.

I figured they were probably more heavy duty. The newer shock towers are probably swappable with the olds ones right? Seems like most of the Savage parts are swappable.

Would there be much of a performance difference between the hpi big bore and the Integy? Metal looks better, but I like plastic for its flexibility and lighter weight.

I'm not 100% sure. The new towers have eyelets for the bumper mounts. They might work if you cut those off, but I don't have an old one to compare. I think the way they connect to the bulks is the same, so the eyelets may just hang out there and not be an issue anyway.

This is a photo of a newer style tower compared to a custom set a guy made and gave me 10+ years ago, the newer one is from an X or XL I got off ebay as part of a bulk/diff purchase:
2006-0122-Savage-Delrin-Stock-Tower01.jpg

If you notice, the X in the center of the tower is a lot thicker than yours. You can see the extra eyelets next to the upper screw holes where it mounts to the bulkhead.

I figured they were probably more heavy duty. The newer shock towers are probably swappable with the olds ones right? Seems like most of the Savage parts are swappable.

Would there be much of a performance difference between the hpi big bore and the Integy? Metal looks better, but I like plastic for its flexibility and lighter weight.
Didn't catch your second question.

I think a lot of guys go with the integy bodies and flux internals so they can replace the top cap with alloy as they tend to break. My issue is the shock ends though, not the shock top. Not to say I haven't broken a shock top once in a great while, but the ends are more of a nuisance for me.

I always broke the shock caps on my big bores. Broke 2, sold the truck first time out the guy broke 2 more lol. I had the integy shock bodies, I just never swapped them. The guy who purchased it did and he said they work well. Never have broke a shock end (knock on wood) my new project does have rpm uppers/lowers so hopefully it doesn't cause an issue. Just have to upgrade to alloy ones I guess if it does.

I always broke the shock caps on my big bores. Broke 2, sold the truck first time out the guy broke 2 more lol. I had the integy shock bodies, I just never swapped them. The guy who purchased it did and he said they work well. Never have broke a shock end (knock on wood) my new project does have rpm uppers/lowers so hopefully it doesn't cause an issue. Just have to upgrade to alloy ones I guess if it does.
I've found dropping my oil below associated 60 seems to have helped. I'm 97% sure I'm using associated 50w now with white springs front, yellow rear along with the shorter stock upper springs. I also use a long bolt that goes through the shock end, shock mount and rear side shock mount on the RPM arm. I didn't have bolts long enough to reach all the way to put a nut on the end, but I figured at the very least, this will spread out some of the flex to the entire arm instead of just the front side.

I was using 40wt, and used the hellfire shock mounts and still broke them. First time was with some big tires and wheels, but second time I was just driving around not doing much. Sat there scratching my head lol

Hellfire shock mounts? Probably harder to find now than savage BP machined diffs. lol

Yes they were difficult to find haha. They are a very nice piece though and they complete the look for a clean sleek look. I got lucky, one I bought in the u.s. other was in China lol

Latest posts

Members online

Back