Ultimate Clutch Shoes ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
then you shouldn't have any problems then ;P
push the spring into the groove with a small screwdriver or similar and you should be golden.

the clutch shoe can be installed both ways round. regular is trailing, most of us flip it into leading edge. gives more initial bite and the clutch slips less.

I've experienced this in the past and it usually was due to the the flywheel nut not being suited for the clutch shoes. Might want to consider a Nova flywheel and nut combo to work with the Nova shoes. just 2 cents

[hs] darkshine;24905 said:
then you shouldn't have any problems then ;P
push the spring into the groove with a small screwdriver or similar and you should be golden.

Your missing the point dude ! I'm not havin problems getin the springs on, they just will not stay down in the groove.:getdown: Basicaly the groove on the clutch nut needs to be further away from the flywheel. I've been looking into this and someone has suggested I try the Mugen MBX-5 (SG) Engine nut. It certainly looks like it will do the job :Xfingers: I've got one on order so we'll find out in a few days. :jumpers:

I've experienced this in the past and it usually was due to the the flywheel nut not being suited for the clutch shoes. Might want to consider a Nova flywheel and nut combo to work with the Nova shoes. just 2 cents

That sounds like a good idea, I'll wait to see if the Mugen engine nut works first though. Thanks for that bud :beer:

It's all good, Hopit. Were ALL just trying to be helpful.

That wasn't meant to sound offensive ! I didn't think it did, maybe I'm wrong ? I don't think I've offended darkshine ?......If I did "I'm sorry man". I know your all helpin me for sure, and I sincerely appreciate it. Thanks guys ! :beer:

:peace:

Hey, no worries bro. It's ok to speak your mind here. believe me, I've spoken more than my share....lol. right guys?......lol. OK..... back to my cage...

Hey, no worries bro. It's ok to speak your mind here. believe me

Sure thing DOOBEEWHA, but I really don't want to offend or upset anyone, afterall we're just like one Big Happy RC Family right ? :jumpers:

Anyway guys, back to the more serious stuff. I got the Mugen engine nut but it didn't really work out. The groove still needs to be further away from the flywheel, so I think I'll have to shim it out. Meanwhile I'm gona check out the Nova set up that DOOBEEWHA suggested, and a sure hope he was right about the price :Xfingers: :hardlaugh:

DOOBEEWHA, I did look on the Nova web site, but I couldn't find any flywheels at all ?? Where did you see one ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey hopit , I don't remember saying any thing about price or whereabouts, my freind. Just see if some site brousing can help you match up a solid setup. See what flywheel and nut are associated with your preffered shoes you have. JT is very knowledgable in this area. you might even e-mail Nova and get their reccommendations for their clutch shoe setup. Just a thought, bro. And I don't think anyone took offense to anything stated here. Polystyrene, if you can catch him, also knows alot of good info about setups and such. Keep you eyes open for these guys and Q them when opportunity provides....Good luck, bud. -Late-

Might want to consider a Nova flywheel and nut combo to work with the Nova shoes. just 2 cents

I know you were joking about the price, as was I, but I thought you meant the Nova flywheel / nut combo were for real ! So I thought the best place to look would be the Nova web site :Mr.confused: Hey, not to worry, we'll get it sorted eventually :Xfingers: It's all good bro ! Thanks for your advise.

Hey hopit, Good mornning. for the sake of less confusion. The "just 2 cents" remark, is a term used quite frequently here as an expression to saying, "just my opinion", or to that effect. And not a price quote...lol. Sorry about that... And yes, I don't know if Nova makes their own flywheels and nuts for their clutch shoes...Athough, they probably could tell you what is a good setup if you E-mailed them about it. Other than that, There's already some indication that this Q can be answered by guys that have already responded to this thread. Ask chunky monkey for instance. It appeares that he's on top of the nova shoes application. Good luck, bro.

I did speak to chunky monkey and he recommended I e-mail Nova. I have sent them an e-mail a couple of days ago ([email protected]) but as of yet I've not had a reply. If I have the wrong e-mail address for them, please let me know.

Thanks.

Tell'um your interrested in a thousand sets of these shoes but you don't know what fits them. That should get their attention....lol Well... Just don't say I told you so, bro....OK?........lol Did you have any luck asking Polystyrene? I bet he could tell you exactly what you need.

I don't quite understand what is the confusion with this subject. This being post #50 and all. On each brand of engine, the crankshaft in these engines leave a pre-determined amount of area for to butting up a flywheel, over a collet, followed by a nut, that seats into that said flywheel, based on factory specs. The guys that are using the Nova shoes might have some commonallities here. The brand, and type of engine, for instance. These engines can support various formula's of chosen hop up parts, allowing for these clutch shoe compatibillity issues, to be dealt with. If Nova doesn't respond to your E-mails, then what can we say except, that sux!.... Look back on some of the responses posted here and PM the guys that use these shoes, bro. Get there opinions, and you'll be happier for it, for sure. If you want to PM someone here, Just click on their name anywhere on the forum and the click the "send private E-mail" choice, in your messaging window. I hope this helps.

Excuse me if my remarks sounded abit impatient. Just shooting for some closure, just as you are, I suppose. Nothing personal, bud.

hopit, any chance of a pic just to show how much the springs arent lining up on the nut?

not used the nova shoes myself but i can't see them being radically different to any other. weve played with various shoes, flywheels and nuts now (gzus11 and myself) and never had a problem getting anything on in leading or trailing formation.

hopit, any chance of a pic just to show how much the springs arent lining up on the nut

Sorry dude, but my PC is totaly prehistoric ! Doesn't have a USB port or anything so can't upload jack !
The problems are because the Nova shoes are shimmed out with small washers making them further from the flywheel. Also, because the springs are thicker they won't twist back into the groove on the nut. You have to really force them in there, but then they just jump straight out again. If they coiled the springs the opposite way so that the tail end of the spring was toward the front face of the shoes, this would be ideal. That's the only way I can explain it really. I hope it makes sense ? I really must stop spending all my money on RC, and buy a new PC !!

Hopit - here are a couple pics for you to view and see if this might help.

DSC_6439.jpg

DSC_6437.jpg

Nice one ]-[Opa]ong ! Good pics ! Are these 1.0mm springs ? Is there any chance you can take another photo from the side like the top picture, but with two of the shoes removed. That way I can see how the end of the spring sits in relation to the nut. I would really appreciate it bud ! :beer:

Thanks for your help.

Well I finally got the clutch sorted. So this is the final set up I used fitting the Nova shoes with a Robinson Racing flywheel on a HPI K4.6 engine.
Fitted the flywheel without any shims.
Machined down the tapered end of a MBX-5 clutch nut, so the overall length is 7.5mm.
Shimmed out the nut by 0.5mm using steel shim, (this gives near perfect alignment with the ends of the springs)
Installed the shoes using Mugen 1.0mm springs (shimmed out the shoes by 0.25mm using teflon shims)
Fitted a 0.25mm teflon shim in front of the nut and then installed the clutch bell.
Fitted another 0.25mm teflon shim on the outside of the clutch bell, followed by the brass spacer and another 0.25mm shim.
Fitted the standard screw in the end of the shaft using thread lock.
I probably didn't need to be quite so fussy, but that's just the engineer in me !
Hopefully this should do the job ! :blah:

Thank you guys, for all your help.

Latest posts

Members online

Back