UH-OH! --> New Batteries, Are They Okay?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shredder

Hey,

I just got back from one of the most absolute, best ever bash sessions I've ever had - thanks HPI!!!

I just finished running two 2 cell 6000 mAh 28C packs in my Savage Flux HP. Before running them, they each measured ~7.7V and I balance charged them at 2.5 amps, then tossed them in the truck.

When I finished running them today, they were "almost hot" - very warm, and they had each swelled a little bit. Is this normal?

I hope so because they were expen$ive. :(

Thanks

When I finished running them today, they were "almost hot" - very warm, and they had each swelled a little bit. Is this normal?

Nope. puffed packs are dangerous.

What brand packs you got? Maybe contact the mfg and show them pics to get the right advice whether you can still run them or they're spent :spiderman:

Nope. puffed packs are dangerous.

What brand packs you got? Maybe contact the mfg and show them pics to get the right advice whether you can still run them or they're spent :spiderman:

+1 did you set the MMM up with the castle link ? Sounds like you over discharged them...

+1 did you set the MMM up with the castle link ? Sounds like you over discharged them...

thats what I'm thinkin.

first & foremost is safety tho, you want to contact them (with pics) and make sure your not putting yourself or your truck in harm's way. maybe not store them inside your house or anywhere else fire could be a concern.

I'm guessing they are smc packs considering the c rating etc you posted... if they puffed up then let them sit, if they go back to normal you should be ok, charge them and use them (with caution) keep an eye on them. if they stay normal after u use them then your ok if they swell again then contact the manufacturer for a warranty claim.

Thanks everyone.

Yes, they are SMC's . . . rated at 28C - I'm surprised.

The expansion is minor, it's not "extreme bulging" but the packs are noticeably "not exactly flat". When I got them I believe they were pretty "square" and had flat sides.

Maybe this will be a "one time stretch" - after this, they won't expand any more? Regardless, I won't be able to trust these packs for a while - maybe never.

They did provide lots of punch today during my bash session - I'll give 'em that for sure.

Any LiPo will do this if you run them down too far. Did you reprogram the ESC or is it stock out of the box ?

Let's see if over dis-charge caused this problem.

If your comfortable doing it, hook the pack up to your charger/balancer and post up the voltage of each cell for both packs.

If over-discharge is the culprit here you can reprogram your LVC Hard cut off with the castle link to greatly reduce the risk of this happening a second time.

I've been doing some 'google-ing' and its said that over discharge is the culprit but people were saying it happened even at 3.5v/cell.

so I'm interested to see where your cells got to.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have some UK Rc Lipos... gd brand, Cost me a lot.
They are 35c 3700mah 3s lipos. I have been using them since day 1 and they have never cause probs...

Yes they do puff but not extremely and they always go back to normal. I let them cool down before charging, and watch them charge all the time.

The balance charge perfectly and touch wood, have never and will never blow my ESC.

I will continue to use them but with extreme caution.

I think they puff because the capacity is very small... But i haven't blown an esc yet and these were my best lipos till i got my hyperions

First of all - thanks everyone for your input.

The digital voltmeter indicates one pack is at 6.15 and the other is at 6.2

So, based on these numbers, I would guess the ESC is shutting down at 6V - does this seem correct?

And, the packs are now "almost flat" - the small bulge has . . . unbulged (although I know that's not a real word - don't use that word when playing Scrabble this weekend)

I'll check the settings for the ESC - I'm back home and off work but it's rainy so I can't use my other packs.

Bummer - I really love this truck!

First of all - thanks everyone for your input.

The digital voltmeter indicates one pack is at 6.15 and the other is at 6.2

So, based on these numbers, I would guess the ESC is shutting down at 6V - does this seem correct?

And, the packs are now "almost flat" - the small bulge has . . . unbulged (although I know that's not a real word - don't use that word when playing Scrabble this weekend)

I'll check the settings for the ESC - I'm back home and off work but it's rainy so I can't use my other packs.

Bummer - I really love this truck!

voltage is a "little" low. i think my LVC is at 3.3v/cell.

thats still not bad voltages... thats 3.1ish per cell. you could of just been to heavy on the brakes causing to much back current to the battery's.

thats still not bad voltages... thats 3.1ish per cell. you could of just been to heavy on the brakes causing to much back current to the battery's.

Thing is 2 can be 3.2 and one under ... Done One of my hyperion 3 cells did that in its first 2 charges. My LVC got it but if it were set to stock I would have lost it ... I run 5S and its at 16.2V cut I don't let mine get below 3.2 ever.

Shredder are you running the stock flux gearing? What pinion and spur do you have? The Mamba Esc has no punch control with stock settings. This means it gives all the power your batteries will give when you hit the throttle. I talked to Bryan from Smc in person yesterday and he said the same as above. If they go back down to normal and were NOT overdischarged they should be fine. You may have to adjust some settings to prevent it from happening again. I hope you get it worked out bud. Let us know!!

Thanks everyone!

Shredder are you running the stock flux gearing? What pinion and spur do you have?
Everything on my Savage Flux is 'bone stock'

I am thinking about putting the Savage on the bench until I get the CC link - with that I'm assuming I can program in a "user defined" cutoff voltage? If so, I would think 6.5V would be a "safe" place to cut off?

Also - yes, I do use the brakes quite a lot - it's fun! I had no idea that braking could possibly have a negative impact on any part of my system. I'm glad to know about this - and the other stuff - thanks very much for the heads-up!!!

Sometimes, I feel like a real :loser: for not knowing more about this truck. It's so easy to just want to take it and run with it.

At least I feel confident I can balance charge lipos properly. That gets the Ford cheerleaders excited, as we can see:

:loveford::loveford::loveford::loveford::loveford:

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Members online

Back