[Tutorial] How To Improve Your Savage's Steering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fx

Shave the off plastic in all the places I point to

-Top of the knuckles
DSC03201.jpg

DSC03203.jpg

-Shave both sides of the carriers.
DSC03205.jpg

DSC03206.jpg

-Next shave both sides of the knuckles.
DSC03210.jpg

DSC03211.jpg

DSC03212.jpg

DSC03213.jpg

Once the plastic is shaved off you will have a better turning radius and your savage will feel like a different truck. Compare your stock carriers and knuckles to my modded ones and you will see the difference. This is an easy effective mod that will make a big difference in the handling of your truck.

DSC03215-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
FX this is here already, is it not ? I have seen these pics b4 I think

Last edited by a moderator:
well either way, its always good to have on hand :). people ask about this simple mod all the time, but they are never sure exactly what to shave down.

FX this is here already, is it not ? I have seen these pics b4 I think

Yeah I posted this in someone's thread over a year ago. It took me about 25 mins to find the thread so I just made my own thread so it's easier for people to find.

Silly question time but i noticed that the knuckles are different to my xl ones.Do i do the same to my xl ones as in your pics?

yep yours looks diffrent because his pics are all post mod. His looked just like yours before he started.

Silly question time but i noticed that the knuckles are different to my xl ones.Do i do the same to my xl ones as in your pics?

My xl knuckles look different too. I don't think it will matter, but yeah, they are slightly different. One difference is, If you look at the outter bearing on fx's knuckles, above and below it there is 2 supports:

\ /
.O <---- Outter bearing
/ \

On my xl there is 4 either side.

\ll/
.O <---- Outter bearing
/ll\

Would have taken a pic but no camera with me. Probably makes no difference with the mod but yeah martin, they are different

There are some more tabs on the xl knuckles that need to be taken off. When i get home from night shift i will take a pic or 2

Sorry, i meant the carriers, the xl carriers are a little different aswell. Only one or two extras tabs to be cut. Pic later

Here are the pics of my knuckles and carriers. Just a bit of extra shaving. I guess they did this to make them stronger but they only get in the way with this mod

DSC_1957.jpg

DSC_1959.jpg

DSC_1968.jpg

Forgot to mention that you still need to shave where fx said these are just extra spots for newer style knuckles. I just looked and saw where needed to be shaved,

I did this mod to my knuckles and carriers and didn't see a ton of improvement on my XL's steering. A little but not a lot. This mod is free, but the RSC is probably a much better upgrade.

I did this mod to my knuckles and carriers and didn't see a ton of improvement on my XL's steering. A little but not a lot. This mod is free, but the RSC is probably a much better upgrade.

Not sure how different the XL hubs are to the stock ones but maybe you didn't shave enough off. RSC is better but this is free.

is there a kit i can buy that allready alows me a better turning radius like aluminum carriers and knuckles ?

I did this mod a few weeks ago. Every once in a while my front dogbones are popping out of the cups on the wheel side. Hopefully I didn't shave too much off.

Ive been working on this mod on my XL for a little while now.
Did the stuff on the first page a couple hours ago, put it all back together then viewed the second page and saw the trim instructions for the newer parts.

Hey I really liked this post thanxs I'm fixing to tear mine down and do mine thanx again
OK I tore mine down and trimmed on mine and it does make a difference once I get a better servo it should b awesome but again thanx for the great pics and the awesome post it was so simple,lightened the truck a little and best of all it was a free upgrade I also adjusted my tiers while I had I down

I have never had a steering problem with my Savage, using a servo with 240 oz in and I had to turn down the rate knob a bit caz it steers too much at times....

Latest posts

Members online

Back