tried everything and cant find the problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewB

i have a savage x w/4.6. everything was working fine and all of sudden every now and then when i give it gas it did nothing. i lose throttle, brake and steering every now and then for a couple of secs then it will come back for a lil bit then do it again. i have tried everything, i pulled off the fail safe, brand new batteries in truck and controller, changed crystals, no cuts or anything in wires or antenna, even went out to an open pasture with no power lines or anything and that didnt do anything. but if i turn the electronics with out cranking it, it will work just fine. i even taped the batteries in to make sure they werent moving around. i believe its gotta be getting some kind of interference but i don't know how. i can even walk right up to the truck, point the controller to the truck and nothing. the truck is only a month old. bought in beggining of december.

Any linkage bent and rubbing any other metal? servos can do this too if one is going bad that is impossible to find till it poops out all the way. there is other factors and issues but Ill start with that.

no linkages are bent, but i lose t/b, and steering. its not likely for both to go out at the same time. and if it is just sitting there on but not running everything works perfect with no noise or anything.

sometimes cb interference will cause this along with any sort of radio as well but like bank had said servos do poop out at random times and will work when ever they feel like it as you may say but tons of factors come into play with any am setup even sometimes weather can cause interference such as moisture in the air will cause the rx to skip and cause the servos to act weird.

id try a hump pack also. & check out the 2 connections between your 4aa battery contraption & the rx (pins, connectors & all that)

ok it was cloudy and kinda wet yesterday, today is sunny so i will try it today. also i will see if can borrow my buddys hump pack and see if that will work.

ya it could very well be a bad reciever and I'm sure hpi would take care of you........

yep i did the crystals and nothing and pulled a throttle servo off my t-maxx and still nothing. i guess it would be a good time to go to a 2.4 setup

BE VERY CAREFUL! I had this very same issue with my new XL. I took the FS off to see if that was the problem and after about 10 seconds of running the truck took off on me with absolutely no control. It left the property and slammed itself right underneath a FedEx delivery truck that was going about 30mph. It rolled underneath the truck 3 times while being dragged down the street. Surprisingly enough, it would have been drivable still except one of the wheels got cracked. It did break two of the shock shafts and slightly bend the chassis, but once I picked up a couple dogbones out of the street and started inspecting it, I was surprised to find that it wasn't that bad. The stock HPI engine cover that I rigged to fit the XL chassis even protected the head very well, and I was running with no body on. Nevertheless, I called HPI and they had me send it in to them. They fixed the chassis plates, gave me a whole new set of wheels/tire, all new suspension pieces on the corner where the wheel got smashed, a new Rx/Tx setup, and sent me a set of the threaded body aluminum shocks and two bottles of shock oil! All at no charge to me, other than the cost to ship it to them, which was like $26. Upon getting the truck back I went out and bought a Futaba 3PM radio so that could never happen again. Best upgrade by far I have done to the truck! If your new to the hobby you might think that a radio is a radio and that performance parts would be more fun to buy first. Get a good radio and you will not be disappointed! As far as what the problem was, I don't know. It was some sort of mechanical interference because, like yours, it acted fine without the motor running but as soon as I tried to turn the motor over with the roto-start I would get glitching. It was like teh engine was causing the interference but I could not for the life of me figure out why. It could have just been a bad Rx too, who knows. All I know is that with the Futaba 3PM I've never had another issue, and don't think I ever will.

Last edited by a moderator:
ya, i have had that happen on my t-maxx. it hit a truck. i am running it in an open field so that don't happen. or if it does it will prolly flip before it hits anything.

Good idea, I don't know if you noticed but I added another couple lines on that last post about the cause of the problem. To this day I don't know what it causing it. HPI could not range test the Rx, because in the crash, the antenna got pulled right out of the Rx housing. Another benefit to 2.4Ghz, no more antennas!

also with it not running but on the throttle will work fine, but if i turn the wheels and hit the throttle, it wont do both at the same time

Oh I guess it's not interference then! If the truck is not running and moving both channels is causing it, I say it's a bad Rx or Tx. You could call HPI and they WILL take care of you no questions asked, but I say get a good radio if you can afford it. It's well worth the piece of mind it gives you. HPI has great customer service, easily the best I have ever dealt with. When my OWB and start shaft quit on me in the second week they sent me a new one of each without ever even questioning whether I owned a savage or not. I was surprised to say the least with the service I got from them without even questioning my honesty. Most places will not treat you like that anymore. It's up to you, HPI will hook you up but they are going to send you the same kind of radio. How long will the next one last? Who knows, that's the problem with these RTR radios.

ya i have been looking at radios, i think imma put my t-maxx one in and see if that fix's it. if so then i will get a 2.4 for it.

ok i put my t-maxx reciver in and it got really jittery and still did the same thing.

yes, ha got it. batterys i put in it were no good. put in hump pack works perfect. i feel dumb now. lol

lmao !!!!!! funny it happens man .. welcome to the site

i was back in for a couple of hours, now time for a rear diff. didnt let off in time before it hit the ground.

LOL, good job finding the problem. When my truck starts to glitch like that I know that the hump pack is getting low. Then when it applies full brake (failsafe), thats the end of it. Time for a new battery. I always keep extras on hand for this. Hate to show up and have a dead pack. I actully bought 2 5 cell 1600mah packs from a battery website and for 10 bucks a piece, they have been working just fine. My Ofna 1700mah is my main pack. Anyways good luck with the rest of the truck and don't forget to have FUN!!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back