THS pipe with LRP spec 3 issues?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xsavage3148

The pipe doesnt seem to sit correctly. seems like the header isnt right. pipe touches the tvp.

I have had this issue, usually you can position the pipe so the header doesn't rest on the TVP.

did you get the pipe specifically for the Savage? or just their "big block" pipe?? they make one specifically designed for the Savages TVP's...

I'm confused. Both seals fit flush is a good thing isnt it? You can bend the hanger to whatever shape you want. You should have a lot of adjustability. Can you post some pics so we can see where your fit issue is?

I'm asking Jermey if they sit flush. mine wont if i make it fit or if i make the header to pipe one flush the motor to header wont be.
HPIM0533.jpg

the header set diagonal if u look from the back, lift it a bit so it stay away from the tvp

What gearing are you 2 running. Like possibly Jeremy is running much higher gearing and your running lower gears. The lower gears will make the engine sit further to the right side of the truck or further to the left on your picture.

Also can you rotate the back end up which should help with the fitments a tad, making it more straight.

Jeremy can you get a top down Pict and xsavage can you get a straight on from side shot and post please so we can see the difference?

Also post your gearing's!

17/47 just like the judge he has a similar problem but not as bad as mine. if i rotate the back end the flange on the header hits the pullstart plate. its almost like the header points in towards the tvp.

Also will it matter what pipe i break it in with? can i just slap my hpi polished on there until i figure this all out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just checked the clearance it looks like my motor needs to be almost 3 or 4 mm out to make the pipe clear the rollbar.

Here's a couple of pics I just snapped of how my THS sits...and yes, I run 17/47 gearing. I removed the plastic from the roll-bar below the screw holes to give a little more room. It's hard to see in the pics, but my pipe doesn't touch the rollbar or TVPs. The spring coupler sits a little crooked, but hasn't leaked at all. Hope this helps somewhat...

THSMounting001.jpg

THSMounting002.jpg

mine will sit way more crooked than that. more than double the gap. I'm still wondering if there is something faulty somewhere else because i see your carb sits over the tvp where mine with same gearing doesnt and the cap head screws on teh motor mount don't clear my tvp where yours did.

Question, xsavage...What motor mount are you using? I ask this because if your mount is shorter than stock, it'll let the mill sit further inboard.

Also, did you shim up the back of the engine plate like I did here? That also affects how high the engine sits, and thus its placement in the chassis.

Most of the pipes or headers don't fit the savage very well. They all seem a bit short, there are a few that fit good. Here is a picture of one of my savages with a Skyline pipe on it.
http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s123/larsenracing/Savage 25/?action=view&current=PA202090.jpg

If you would go with gearing like 49/18 or 52/19 you would virtually have the same power and same top speeds and so on but the motor would sit further of the side of the chassis and move the header out as well. This would give you a straighter pipe. This plays the most part of why things don't fit.

Another note on the larger gear sets: The gears would last longer and be more durable because there is more surface area touching each other.

I was looking at that. My engine seems to sit with the back a little higher as it is so if i shim it it will really be not level

I'm using the FLM engine mount

Most of the pipes or headers don't fit the savage very well. They all seem a bit short, there are a few that fit good. Here is a picture of one of my savages with a Skyline pipe on it.
http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s123/larsenracing/Savage 25/?action=view&current=PA202090.jpg

If you would go with gearing like 49/18 or 52/19 you would virtually have the same power and same top speeds and so on but the motor would sit further of the side of the chassis and move the header out as well. This would give you a straighter pipe. This plays the most part of why things don't fit.

Another note on the larger gear sets: The gears would last longer and be more durable because there is more surface area touching each other.

Would that gearing effect my low end? or does this motor have enough grunt that i wont notice? I'm still not totally clear on the gearing ratios. and then iwould have to figureo ut how to get the screws to clear the tvp

:cornfused: Can you post a picture of your setup from the side? Just curious how it looks compared to mine, since we're using all the same parts.

HPIM0534.jpg

Even with my stock motor and mount the cap screws didnt clear the tvp but the hpi polished exhaust and everything cleared perfectly.

To get your gearing and ratios take the # of teeth on the Spur divided by the teeth on the CB this will give you a number ?.??. This is a ?.??:1 Ratio. The closer the number is to 1 the faster it will go but the lower torque you will have, The higher the number the slower top end you will have but the Torque will go up for instance 47/17 Gearing:

47 / 17=2.76 so your 2.76:1 so the CB turns 2.76 times to 1 of the spur.

To increase to the 49/18 you will be at 2.72 and 52/19=2.736 You will not notice much difference.

To me it looks like your motor is sitting higher in the rear? This could affect the position of the motor if its true the motor probably has to move to the passenger side a bit more.

How is your mesh? Does everything move freely with a little gap?

mine will sit way more crooked than that. more than double the gap. I'm still wondering if there is something faulty somewhere else because i see your carb sits over the tvp where mine with same gearing doesnt and the cap head screws on teh motor mount don't clear my tvp where yours did.

I can tell you from experience that the guys at THS supply excellent customer service, if you need it...

hopefully you don't though...:resp:

Mesh is fine spins freely.
Yes i did notice it sitting slightly higher in the rear. i could shave down the cross brace couldnt i?
yes it needs to be moved out that way a little to make everything clear. maybe ill try different gearing. I'm so ****ed off right now!!!
wondering if i should just go with the jammin pipe since the header looks like it wil be better.

I can see what's at least part of your problem...your engine plate is bent!

I can't think of any other reason your motor even fits running that gearing without the motor mount screws hitting the TVPs. That bent plate could easily allow the CB to tuck further under the spur, allowing the motor to sit further inboard the chassis compared to mine.

I can see what's at least part of your problem...your engine plate is bent!

I can't think of any other reason your motor even fits running that gearing without the motor mount screws hitting the TVPs. That bent plate could easily allow the CB to tuck further under the spur, allowing the motor to sit further inboard the chassis compared to mine.

then it must have been bent from the factory because from day 1 the screws didnt clear the tvp but i have heard of others having the same issue so i didnt think the plate was actually bent. i hardly even use the truck and if i do it was on flat lots so idk how it bent! i can take it out and check cant i?
And if it was bent why would that make the exhaust hit the tvp?

HPIM0534.jpg

Here's mine:
LRPZ28RSpec3016withMS.jpg

If you motor sits further inboard, so does your pipe...FWIW, my pull-start housing sits about 1/32" away from the TVP when the mesh is correct.

You might want to start with removing the motor and laying a straight-edge along the engine plate before you remove the plate's attaching screws, just in case it tries to flatten out when you remove it.

Tank the plate out and check it, If its bent flatten it or purchase a new one.

The Exhaust hit the chassis becuase with the plate bent and for you to acheve proper mesh you would have to place the engine more to the drivers side of the truck. So when flat to get proper mesh the motor will set more to the passenger side. Just try it

Ill take it out when i get out of work. I'm still thinking of just getting the jammin pipe.

Another question. if the tranny case is screwed into the tvp and those holes line up fine how would that part of the plate get bent up so far.

Members online

No members online now.
Back