Strange noise after replacing pinion gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thali

Hi

I bought a used Savage Flux HP which was converted into a XL about a year ago. Some weeks ago the pinion gear was all chewed up and I replaced it and the spur gear tonight. But after trying it afterwards I noticed a strange noise. Here is a video, to me it seems like something causing friction..? I tried adjusting the space between the pinion and spur gears to see if it made any difference, but it did not seem to.

Does anyone know what this might be? Thanks in advance.

sorry but the video is actually very dark not allowing much of a view... but from what I hear you may have the mesh a bit tight are you using a steel spur?? if so they are considerably noisier than plastic spurs are, too loose and too tight make about the same noises.....

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yeah, I only took the video to demonstrate the noise. I am using steel spur, which is the same as was installed previously.

When you talk about having the mesh a bit tight, are you talking about this? In that case I think you are right, I will try to adjust that and the spacing between the spur and pinion gears later. Hopefully this solves the problem, if not I will try to provide some better photos. I will post the result either way :)

Last edited:
When reading a bit more I see that the (gear) mesh is both the pinion and spur gears and that you think they are too close? Sorry for not being to familiar with the terminology. I tried to add some more space between the two gears yesterday without noticing too much of a difference. I still hope that this or the spur gear being to tight (or both) are the problem, I will check later.

Thanks for the link, really useful! The pinion gear I bought is this, the spur gear is 44t (steel). I don't have any further information about that one in front of me just now but hopefully they match..? I was hoping on getting a chance to work on this tonight but it looks like it might have to wait until tomorrow.

Looks like you have the mesh a bit too loose, you have to keep in mind that steel on steel gears are going to always be a bit noisy....

Okay, I am going to make it a bit tighter. But sounds in the video seemed normal?

if you hold the spur so it wont move, then roll the pinion/bell with your finger you should feel/see a slight bit of movement.
If your in-experienced, a piece of printer paper between th gears works well to set the mesh till you get the hang of it.
electric gear mesh is much noisier than nitro seems to be. probably because we cant hear the gears when the truck is moving . Savage XSS are about the noisiest i have ever experienced

if you hold the spur so it wont move, then roll the pinion/bell with your finger you should feel/see a slight bit of movement.
If your in-experienced, a piece of printer paper between th gears works well to set the mesh till you get the hang of it.
electric gear mesh is much noisier than nitro seems to be. probably because we cant hear the gears when the truck is moving . Savage XSS are about the noisiest i have ever experienced

I've never had good luck with the paper trick. Don't know why, but I end up with worse mesh than if I just do it by feel for a tick of play.

From what I hear and see, it now seems just a hair too loose.

that could very well be, but it does make for a good learning tool. get ya close and you have a starting point.
Its how i learned

Latest posts

Members online

Back