Steering Upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jester296

I just purchased the hpi steering upgrade and it is 4 bearing but I'm not sure where exactly they go they did not come with any instructions. the package says to refer to pg 34 in the manual but this page is my radio maintainence page.

take your steering posts out of the truck...in the top and bottom of those posts are plastic bushings, replace those with the new bearings...reinstall and your done.

do you mean this?

yellow is the bushing you take out
green is the bearing that you put in
do the same on the bottom of the steering posts :peace:

(useful information, links and images removed)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great help guys and awesome pictures. This is a great mod. You could have also purchased the bearings separately for much cheaper but that will work.

awsome info in this thread!! if it makes that big of a difference I'm in, am gonna order them right now!!!

I just did my upgrade with bearings bought from rcbearings.co.uk
One questions though:
Now that i refit the steering posts, how much should i tighten that servo saver spring?

I set mine to turn the wheels lock to lock on a carpet floor. This may harm a lesser servo

what size bearings would I need? I'm ordering them through avid..

On the Savage Flux are plastic bushings also on the steering?
Will the 6x10x3 mm bearings work on the Savage Flux?

Thank you

What all did you take apart to put them in i just want to have a idea so i don't take too much apart

Thanks soo much for all your help you really know your savy

What all did you take apart to put them in i just want to have a idea so i don't take too much apart

Thanks soo much for all your help you really know your savy

If you are going to do this when you upgrade you steering servo this will make it alot easier to do.. All I did was take out the the radio box, and loose the screw for the steering linkage and the steering post are underneath the radio box.If you have a manual it will help you out..Because it has the pics..

ok thanks because in some pics i saw on here it looked like the front part of the truck was removed from the chassis i did not want to do that if i did not have to

ok thanks because in some pics i saw on here it looked like the front part of the truck was removed from the chassis i did not want to do that if i did not have to

You don't have to do this for this upgrade, but removing the front (or back) of the trucks is very simple and only a few screws each.

so I'm about to do this upgrade as well...my LHS didn't have 6x10 bearings, so would 5x10 work, or do I need the bigger ones? thanks!

so I'm about to do this upgrade as well...my LHS didn't have 6x10 bearings, so would 5x10 work, or do I need the bigger ones? thanks!

Nope, you need to be exact on that so the bolt fits through as far as I remember.

darn!! i wish i woulda saw that earlier! i just paid like $22 after taxes for the 4 bearings from the LHS! it was the hpi steering upgrade set. oh well, i guess i'll know next time to shop around! thanks anyways man!

bookmark that thread for when you need clutch-bearings, maybe grab some now to have on hand for when you will need them, caz you will at some point.

they are big bux at LHS. :peace:

Members online

No members online now.
Back