Steering problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcocker

I have recently bought a Savage with a 4.6 big block engine I took it out for a test drive and it doesn't turn very well when I lift the front wheels off the ground they move a fair distance but when wheels are on the floor they turn ever so slightly any help before I strip it down

Tighten the servo saver a bit and see if that helps, also a better servo with at least 200 ozin of torque will also help alot.....

Check your end points for steering servo and the steering responce speed if your TX has that feature .

Last edited:
Had a similar problem easiest solution was a new savox servo and called it a day

Thanks for replys what are best servo if none of the above fixes work. Also what grease/oil do I use for diffs & suspension shocks ?

I have been using servos I get off E Bay, they work well and best part is they are cheap so I can stock up.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4X-MG996R-Digital-Servo-Metal-Gear-Torque-T-Pro-MG995-For-Futaba-JR-RC-Truck-Car/222242039469?epid=2290545201&hash=item33bea866ad:g:3nsAAOSwMNxXakMN&_sacat=0&_nkw=MG+996+servo&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.XMG+996+servo.TRS0

As for differential and shocks, I use silicone shock fluid 40 weight seems to be a good all purpose fliud and for the diffs I use heavy grease packed into the cup and gears.....
Thank you

Thank you
I run 40 weight oil in my plastic big bores on both of my savage's. While long springs as well. I haven't had an 8 shock savage in too many years to remember what I ran back then.

For diffs, I run silicone diff oil, 50k in the front and rear, but 100k wouldn't be bad for a basher.

For diffs, I just use axle grease. Probably better stuff out there, but any sticky/heavy gears works good on the ring/pinion.

For dog bone cups/joints, I use bicycle chain lube as it doesn't attract/hold dirt like oil/grease does. White Lightning, an 8oz bottle will last you a few years as long as you put the cap on it. It's very watery, I shake mine up, then use a spare aerosol can tube from canned air or something, stick the tube in the bottle, plug the end with my finger to hold some in the tube, then touch where I want it. When it dries, it leaves a thin coat of wax. I use it on CVD joints, dog bone joints, hinge pins, spurs/cb's/pinons.

I'm having a little problem with my savox steering servo if I disconnect the servo from the steering arm it works fine but when i connect itamd steer it all the way to either side its start going crazy and returns back to center cant figure out why?

I'm having a little problem with my savox steering servo if I disconnect the servo from the steering arm it works fine but when i connect itamd steer it all the way to either side its start going crazy and returns back to center cant figure out why?

!st with steering arm disconnected do your steering components move freely by hand,
2nd have you checked your battery voltage for the receiver , if its low and it works fine disconnected then when you reconnect the servo you are now putting a load on it.

Last edited:
Dumb me lol yes that makes a lot sense its probably the battery haven’t changed them in forever lol sometimes i miss the smallest things smh

Your using alkaline batteries with a high torque savox? They will not hold up for very long, even when new. You need to get a good 2/3A NiMH hump pack. Savox servos are pretty well known for being very power hungry. Even just the 0231 I have on one of my revos for steering caused brown outs when under load. I had to put a glitch buster cap on it to give it some help. That's with a 1600mah NiMH pack powering stuff.

Your using alkaline batteries with a high torque savox? They will not hold up for very long, even when new. You need to get a good 2/3A NiMH hump pack. Savox servos are pretty well known for being very power hungry. Even just the 0231 I have on one of my revos for steering caused brown outs when under load. I had to put a glitch buster cap on it to give it some help. That's with a 1600mah NiMH pack powering stuff.
That's what I run my my X and the flat pack version in my revos. I just bought new ones for my revos as they are at least 4 years old and don't hold a charge very well anymore. I haven't installed yet... got an outcast... haven't had the urge to fire up a nitro in a while. lol

Latest posts

Members online

Back