1. Ask questions. Share your HPI Savage knowledge. Register TODAY!

Welcome to HPISavageForum, a friendly forum to discuss the Savage RC Truck.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steering problems

Discussion in 'HPI Savage' started by Jcocker, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Jcocker

Jcocker Member

I have recently bought a Savage with a 4.6 big block engine I took it out for a test drive and it doesn't turn very well when I lift the front wheels off the ground they move a fair distance but when wheels are on the floor they turn ever so slightly any help before I strip it down

2. Jam Racing 1

Jam Racing 1 NPTB Monitor, Master of the known universe....
    HPISF Staff

Tighten the servo saver a bit and see if that helps, also a better servo with at least 200 ozin of torque will also help alot.....

• Like Like x 1
  3. ELWOOD

ELWOOD Well-Known Member

Check your end points for steering servo and the steering responce speed if your TX has that feature .

#3 ELWOOD, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  4. SavageDarwin

SavageDarwin Active Member

The stock servo is a bit anemic

5. Samuelviani1

Samuelviani1 Member

Had a similar problem easiest solution was a new savox servo and called it a day

6. Jcocker

Jcocker Member

Thanks for replys what are best servo if none of the above fixes work. Also what grease/oil do I use for diffs & suspension shocks ?

7. Jam Racing 1

HPISF Staff

I have been using servos I get off E Bay, they work well and best part is they are cheap so I can stock up.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4X-MG996R-Digital-Servo-Metal-Gear-Torque-T-Pro-MG995-For-Futaba-JR-RC-Truck-Car/222242039469?epid=2290545201&hash=item33bea866ad%3Ag%3A3nsAAOSwMNxXakMN&_sacat=0&_nkw=MG+996+servo&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.XMG+996+servo.TRS0

As for differential and shocks, I use silicone shock fluid 40 weight seems to be a good all purpose fliud and for the diffs I use heavy grease packed into the cup and gears.....

8. rc4me.US

rc4me.US Member

9. Jcocker

Jcocker Member

Thank you

10. olds97_lss

olds97_lss Well-Known Member

I run 40 weight oil in my plastic big bores on both of my savage's. While long springs as well. I haven't had an 8 shock savage in too many years to remember what I ran back then.

For diffs, I run silicone diff oil, 50k in the front and rear, but 100k wouldn't be bad for a basher.

For diffs, I just use axle grease. Probably better stuff out there, but any sticky/heavy gears works good on the ring/pinion.

For dog bone cups/joints, I use bicycle chain lube as it doesn't attract/hold dirt like oil/grease does. White Lightning, an 8oz bottle will last you a few years as long as you put the cap on it. It's very watery, I shake mine up, then use a spare aerosol can tube from canned air or something, stick the tube in the bottle, plug the end with my finger to hold some in the tube, then touch where I want it. When it dries, it leaves a thin coat of wax. I use it on CVD joints, dog bone joints, hinge pins, spurs/cb's/pinons.

11. Samuelviani1

Samuelviani1 Member

I'm having a little problem with my savox steering servo if I disconnect the servo from the steering arm it works fine but when i connect itamd steer it all the way to either side its start going crazy and returns back to center cant figure out why?

12. ELWOOD

ELWOOD Well-Known Member

!st with steering arm disconnected do your steering components move freely by hand,
    2nd have you checked your battery voltage for the receiver , if its low and it works fine disconnected then when you reconnect the servo you are now putting a load on it.

#12 ELWOOD, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  13. Samuelviani1

Samuelviani1 Member

Dumb me lol yes that makes a lot sense its probably the battery haven’t changed them in forever lol sometimes i miss the smallest things smh

14. ELWOOD

ELWOOD Well-Known Member

Yep it's always best to check the simple things first . LOL

15. olds97_lss

Your using alkaline batteries with a high torque savox? They will not hold up for very long, even when new. You need to get a good 2/3A NiMH hump pack. Savox servos are pretty well known for being very power hungry. Even just the 0231 I have on one of my revos for steering caused brown outs when under load. I had to put a glitch buster cap on it to give it some help. That's with a 1600mah NiMH pack powering stuff.

16. Jam Racing 1

HPISF Staff

17. olds97_lss

That's what I run my my X and the flat pack version in my revos. I just bought new ones for my revos as they are at least 4 years old and don't hold a charge very well anymore. I haven't installed yet... got an outcast... haven't had the urge to fire up a nitro in a while. lol

18. rc4me.US

rc4me.US Member