steering locking up?!?!?!?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savageboi

Hey all, I was out with my Truck the other day and Noticed that the steering kept locking up. After the run I had a look and noticed the axle was battered I thought that was the problem so replaced it. Problem solved????.......NO!bad word
Took it out again to day and the same was happening, at a closer look I realised the wish bone was slipping out of the axle. does any body know why this is happening or am I just being dumb?! cornfused
Please help.
thanx.

Need more info. what are you running for a truck is it a X or Xss (adjustable arms or not) have the RSC or not blah blah

Its an x with adjustable arms that I Bought and fitted. No RSC as yet (It's in the post) mostly stock. Got a sway bar set but dnt think that would make that happen. Do you think its the adjustable arms?

Its an x with adjustable arms that I Bought and fitted. No RSC as yet (It's in the post) mostly stock. Got a sway bar set but dnt think that would make that happen. Do you think its the adjustable arms?

it can if you have them out too far. any steering component been modified ?

I am with bank. Is your tie rod installed correctly? Nearest to bell crank the tie rod should be bolted on the bottom and at the knuckles it should be installed on the top. Check to see if the ball inserts are insatlled correctly as well.

Is the adjustable arms binding at the bulkheads?
Do you have an oring in the interior side of the diff cup? if not the dog bones shaft might be getting caught in the slots of the diff cup.

More specifics are needed so we can assist?

All tie rods are fitted correctly and there is no binding at the bulk head. Il take it apart to night if possible and have a look if its cracked and Bank there is no mod's done to the steering. Il have a good look and let you know what i find.
Thanks for you help guys.

Do a closer inspection yourself... When it something like steering, it is pretty simple to see where binding or things catching can occur...

I had a problem with my RSC... My wheels turned too much, my dog bone then popped out a little and when my servo straightened my wheels, the axle buckled. I have to set up my End points on my servo as to not do this again. Axles are quite surprisingly expensive

Is your steering getting stuck in 1 direction, after hard landings or rollovers? Can u push the wheels back in position with your hands after they get stuck?

If this is the case check the servo saver, if the spring is too loose it will allow it to rotate past the apex of the post, causing it to hang up.

All tie rods are fitted correctly and there is no binding at the bulk head. Il take it apart to night if possible and have a look if its cracked and Bank there is no mod's done to the steering. Il have a good look and let you know what i find.
Thanks for you help guys.

like said above make sure the oring is in the diff cup to push the dog bone deeper into the axle cup. they can cut and fall out letting the bone come out of the axle as you describe..

GUYS. Thanks for all your help, i had a quick look to day after work And think i found the problem or should i say problems!
The inside bearing had exploded as well as the caster head being cracked. I didnt have more time to dig deeper so I'm hoping that that is all thats wrong. cant belive i didnt notice the bearing and Cant belive it was something so simple. Thanks again!!

Bank turns out the orings had come out and one of the diff bearings had disintegrated. hopefully thats it now lol.

nice1 for finding the fault... I'm going to check my bearings before i re install my steering assembly!

Latest posts

Members online

Back