steel spur gears

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedster

I have recently installed the k 4.6 engine in my savage x, and shortly after break-in realized that the thing eats spur gears. usually i could bring it out and the spur gears would last more than 3 bashings but now they are shredded in a couple of hours. So i was wondering if there was anything i could do to increase the life of my spur gears. i am also considering the steel spur gear setup and don't know if it's a good plan because of the inherent risks or damaging the components between the engine and the road. what do you guy's think, should i get the steel spur gear?

Last edited by a moderator:
well i would practice your meshing before you get a steel spur gear. but i have a steel spur gear and it has lasted just over a year now!
4x4

i can get the gear meshes fine, i think anyway. do you have to be more careful of gear mesh with the steel spur gears? I just do mine with the paper trick that i find isn't very good cause it gets it too tight, so i try and just go it by feel.

well as long as its correct no but it is worth checking it every so often! if you go for the steel spur gear you will also need a hardend clutch bell. it is all worth the money i think as mine has lasted 2 engines or just over a year! And it is still going strong!
4x4

o and i also do my spur gear by feal. it workes well for me! as i said its worth checking it every so often.
4x4

ye have a read through the post xxz28xx posted. it has lots of good info in that.
good luck
4x4

Latest posts

Members online

Back