Starting my build.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimMo8462

Just dropped a little bit of :cash: on starting my build. So far plans include.....
Parts already here:
HPI DIRTBONZ and black dish wheels.
Futaba 3 channel Rx and Tx and Spektrum 2 ch Rx and TX- not sure which to use.
I have aluminum arms on it currently but going to switch them for Blue RPM's.
Already did stock shock mod.

Parts on the way:
FLM TVP's low gravities.
Robisons 52 HD spur gear and 15 clutch bell.
Ofna Brake linkage mod.
HPI DRX Hellfire Lid.
Motor Saver Air Filter.

Other plans:
Mid tank mod- not sure which yet.
LST2 shocks or HPI BB's not sure yet-suggestions please?
Picco engine later on down the road.
high torque servo- not sure what kind, suggestions please?

Still looking for more ideas on what to do in all. Thanks to everyone that have put out a lot of their build post to give me ideas. I'll post pics when I get the parts in and on.

So far this is what it looks like.
CIMG1565.JPG

CIMG1567.JPG

nice going to have fun with the build .... but the rpm arms are extreamly tight fitting ... they don't move to freely so youll want to grind all the pivot points down a little at a time till they move like stock arms ...they also tend to bend shock shafts pretty easy to .. they flex like crazy ...just a heads up... good luck .. happy building..

Mid tank mod- not sure which yet.
LST2 shocks or HPI BB's not sure yet-suggestions please?
high torque servo- not sure what kind, suggestions please?

Mid tank mod- There is a OFNA 250cc mid tank and a 125cc mid tank up to you
LST2 shocks or HPI BB's not sure yet- Big bore all the way, aluminum or nylon doesn't matter both shocks are amazing
High torque servo- not sure what kind- Hitec 5645MG is 160 oz/in at 6v $54.99 it's a great digital servo

Thanks Maxim I intend on switching out the shafts as well. Didn't know that they flex'd so much. I've used them on previous rc's, not a savage, and I had good results out of them. Any other suggestions? Or should I stick with stock or the aluminums I have on it already?
xLL-savagex-LLx ~ thanks as well. I was leaning more towards the HPI BB's nylon cheaper to replace if I break them :Smile: The servo sounds like a good idea, not trying to break the bank at the moment. With about to get out of the Navy and trying to save. But just can't help it, I got bit by the MOD bug.

Thanks Maxim I intend on switching out the shafts as well. Didn't know that they flex'd so much. I've used them on previous rc's, not a savage, and I had good results out of them. Any other suggestions? Or should I stick with stock or the aluminums I have on it already?
xLL-savagex-LLx ~ thanks as well. I was leaning more towards the HPI BB's nylon cheaper to replace if I break them :Smile: The servo sounds like a good idea, not trying to break the bank at the moment. With about to get out of the Navy and trying to save. But just can't help it, I got bit by the MOD bug.

$65 for the aluminum big bores -
https://www.tcscrawlers.com/HPI-Big-Bore-Aluminum-Shock-Set-Assembled-Savage-A720-p-17653.html

Trust me the only thing you will break / bend on these are the shafts.
I put my savage to the max one day, it was really cold like -5C maybe -8C with wind chill i didn't care launched the savy off 4' kickers and ect ect.
all in the end i bent a big bore shaft LOL and popped off a pin off the bulkhead.

IMG_3540.jpg

IMG_4071.jpg

IMG_4066.jpg

oh and broke the lower bulkhead brace :lmao:
But it's up to you, what ever the funds allow you to do you do it, and all that counts is the fun of building the truck :)

cheers
Brandon

i doubt youll ever break a stock a arm... it happens but it has to be some extreme impact.. aluminum ones will tear the bulk heads apart and tear the pins out of the bulk heads so wouldnt use the aluminum arms... the rpm arms for savage have alot of flex to them due to how long they are i think..

i doubt youll ever break a stock a arm... it happens but it has to be some extreme impact.. aluminum ones will tear the bulk heads apart and tear the pins out of the bulk heads so wouldnt use the aluminum arms... the rpm arms for savage have alot of flex to them due to how long they are i think..

LOL
My a-arm is still usable, the hinge pin ripped out of the bulkhead =/

$65 for the aluminum big bores -
https://www.tcscrawlers.com/HPI-Big-Bore-Aluminum-Shock-Set-Assembled-Savage-A720-p-17653.html

Trust me the only thing you will break / bend on these are the shafts.
I put my savage to the max one day, it was really cold like -5C maybe -8C with wind chill i didn't care launched the savy off 4' kickers and ect ect.
all in the end i bent a big bore shaft LOL and popped off a pin off the bulkhead.

oh and broke the lower bulkhead brace :lmao:
But it's up to you, what ever the funds allow you to do you do it, and all that counts is the fun of building the truck :)

cheers
Brandon

:lmao: :thumbsup: nice! And thanks for the link, they're now in my online cart while I have a look at the rest of the goodies.

a good pipe and header will give your truck a little more power too. i ran the hpi polished pipe for a while and liked it for the price. after you get the big bore shocks you will have room to put an xl header on for less restriction too :)

Derek

a good pipe and header will give your truck a little more power too. i ran the hpi polished pipe for a while and liked it for the price. after you get the big bore shocks you will have room to put an xl header on for less restriction too :)

Derek

Thanks Derek, my shopping list keeps growing and growing. Playing the waiting game now.

Age doesn't matter, it's all about how long you've been playing with RC's. Only about 2-3 years for me off and on, more off than on. So I have a lot of catching up to do.

Iv had my savage since '08.
my very first rc was a cheap hummer from wally mart in '05, just charge up the NiMH battery and go LOL.

My 1st was about the same, but it had a cord still :lmao: 1st decent one, was a RC10 and then a TC3. I'm sticking with HPI now. I have 2 Savages x's and a electric Sprint2.

Update......
FLM extended lcg TVP's on their way now, along with a servo plate, motor mount plate, mugen 150cc tank, ofna linkage kit, Motor Saver air filter, Hellfire DMX body, 52 tooth heavy duty Spur gear, and wing kit in the mail.
Recently received the new Spektrum DX2.0 Tx and Rx waiting to put it in till everything else gets here. 15 tooth vented clutch bell already in and installed. Dirt Dogs and HPI black dish wheel on too. And stock shock mod done as well.
Next in line..... Big bores, 17mm hex's, and a high torque servo.

Sticking with the 150cc till I get back to the states Joe and I was was going to go with a Hitec 5645MG servo. I'm just curious to what's the difference is with Big Bores. Between the stock HPI Big Bores and LST2's performance wise.

Sticking with the 150cc till I get back to the states Joe and I was was going to go with a Hitec 5645MG servo. I'm just curious to what's the difference is with Big Bores. Between the stock HPI Big Bores and LST2's performance wise.

Hitec 5645
Speed: 0.18 sec/60° at 6.0V
Torque: 164.2 oz-in at 6V

Its your money but I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the 7955. It will make you smile, plus you can afford the HITEC 7955. LOL

Hitec 5645
Speed: 0.18 sec/60° at 6.0V
Torque: 164.2 oz-in at 6V

Its your money but I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the 7955. It will make you smile, plus you can afford the HITEC 7955. LOL

:lmao: @ I can afford it...... I got 7 year old daughter that wanted everything for xmas. Including a plane ticket out here to Spain. But you're right, I still can afford it.
Hitec 7995
Speed:0.15 sec/60 degrees at 6.0V
Torque:333 oz-in at 6.0V
Sounds more for racing than my intended bashing, but there's nothing wrong with having something better. You have me sold on it.

Joe do you have any insight on the difference between the HPI Big Bores and LST shocks; other than size, mod'ing needed for the LST's, weight, and cost? What I'm wondering is the difference between the performance between the two. I've found all the parts needed to use the LST shock mod/upgrade and how to do it. Just haven't been able to find anything about the performance difference between them.

haven't ran the lst shocks but from what i have read is that they are heavy and make the truck bounce to much and the big bores from my experience with the plastic and alloy ones is that they give you a plush ride and do make it bounce.

i would go with the bigbores, just for the wieght aspect of the 2 shocks. the plus with the hpi bigbores is there is no extra mounting kit they just plain fit as they are designed for the savage. they don't bounce once you find the set up for your truck with them.

Despite all who say no against the LST2 shocks, I went ahead and bought a set along with a set of big bores. So I'll just have to find out which I like better, I guess. I stuck to regular plastic type for both to keep down on weight for the LST2 plus I got a pretty decent price for them on Ebay, only $35 for a full set shipped.

Mid tank parts, FLM parts, and now the shocks. I'll get bored and find something else to order while I'm waiting. Like another body to paint.

Latest posts

Members online

Back