Spur Gear Compatability x,ss,25

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavageNewb

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my Savage X Spur/Cb to Steel. Robinson Racing makes a "ROBINSON RACING 7052" 14/52 combo for a Savage 21 and 25. Will this gear work on my SavageX 4.1? There website makes it appear that they will not fit. (not listed under the Savage X section).

Also, will I have to make mods to get these to fit? Should I go to direct drive? and if so how do I do that?

Thanks fo any help you can provide. And sorry for the stupid questions

SavageNewb

s up. IMO you should not go with the steel set. Unless your racing! If your just bashing around keep that part stock. Every time you change your gearing put a new Nylock nut on your slipper. This will keep the tightness fresh and like new every time. Also tighten the nut till its TIGHT! Ive got Two main slippers that I run and both the slipper pads are like new. Yes I buy a few bolts but thats cheep compared to the hassel of fixing the thing every time.
If your intrested in going to a full time situation P.M. DOOBEEWHA hes has been running a full time slipper for a while now with out problems! he has a cool way to pin the slipper in a way that you can always change back. HOpe this helps and good luck.

nah have to say the stock one is crap just change it to steel and be done with it just remember to mesh ur spur and pinion right and u wont have a problem i haven't done one yet

Hey, savageNewb, I've already submited some posts on my take of the slipper. I can't really say that I love them, that's for sure. I know why they serve a roll in the drivetrain, and that is the first step understanding how you can live without them. As far as I'm conserned, anyway....lol. I plan on consolidating my past posts on this subject into it's own thread. This will hopefully occure in the next day or so. It will provide a step by step discription of a fairly simple directdrive spur gear mod, that eliminates of the hassle and consern over slipper adjustment, maintainance, and melting spur hubs. It will be tittled, "DIRECTDRIVE YOUR RIDE" and located in the "Hop Ups" section of the forum. If you have questions, you can send me a personal message(PM)and I'll return your message. If you need to know, now. These posts are scattered throughout the forum's sub-sections. I need to find them myself, to compile them for this new thread. Sorry, I don't a quick refference for you. This doesn't mean you won't find them on you own. Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
stay with the stock spur, they are cheap and save the rest o fthe drive train from serious damage. if you get it meshed right you will NOT have any problems either. remember too that a direct drive will not stop you from stripping the teeth from the spur gear.

as far as i am aware the steel spur set will work on the x transmission case if you get the old style aluminium slipper assembly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay everyone I don't see why anyone would ever want to go steel. It masks problems you and your truck have. If you cant set the mesh right you'll go through plastic ones like crazy, so learn to mesh it. You'll only go through other drivetrain components such as, your engine, transmission, driveshafts, dogbones, the list goes on. If your plastic one is getting trashed there is a problem and going the steel route will only cover up/compound the problem.

Another word, go to your LHS and ask for the old 25 style spur(not the X one). The 25 spur is much better and HPI has actually gone back to it because they realized the X dual slipper setup is trash.

Food for though, the Savage XSS comes with a steel spur gear from HPI. I have noticed that the spur gear from the XSS is thin like a buggy/truggy spur gear. Most aftermarket spur gears for the Savage have thick teeth, usually the same as the clutch bell. For the Savage it could just be a problem of too much metal to metal contact with not enough cooling.

Both my Inferno and Hellfire have thin metal spurgears and neither one has issues with eating CB or any other driveline parts. My Savage SS has a new XSS spur gear and it also has never shown me any additional drive line wear.

Latest posts

Members online

Back