Soulja's Steering Mod For Savage Racing Suspension Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soulja

Virginia Beach Beast
a few guys have been asking how i did the suspension mod.... so since my savage is apart now it would be a good time to show you all. here is the sanding disc i used
Picture852.jpg

all i did was took the dremel and sanded the sterring stop at an angle to matck the front hub carrier. i went from the bootom to the top and jusst took away excess material. the top should remain UNTOUCHED! *NOTE* becareful note to go too much....if you do you will bind up the steering. also watch because you could go too far and when you turn you will have so much steering that there is a possibility of the dogbone coming out of the axle. it's simple and only about a 5 or 10 minute job. post here to let me know if it works for you all!

Picture848.jpg

Picture849.jpg

Picture850.jpg

Picture851.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry the p[ics are so blurry...but you can still see the mod really well. i also put a pic of what the top should look like.

Thanks Matt, I will let you no how mine turned out.This should help others out who get the rsc with only one hole in the spindle.+1

Man ths fix worked great Matt..Only took about 5 min to do like you said..

it works very well and is the ONLY way to fix the new suspension kits!!

Matt, noticed the pics are gone. Do you still have them? If not I can take pics of mine, although I did mine at a rush at the finals last year when I finally figured out what my problem was.

Just noticed pics was gone and I know a few people are having this issue.

Matt, noticed the pics are gone. Do you still have them? If not I can take pics of mine, although I did mine at a rush at the finals last year when I finally figured out what my problem was.

Just noticed pics was gone and I know a few people are having this issue.

I was gonna ask him the same thing here, but you beat me to it. That, or I was gonna PM him about it. I was lookin for the pics so I can mod my RSC this coming weekend, hopefully.

......let me check my photobucket to day to make sure i didn't delete them....

For now here is some pics for those that might need the info NOW. I will go clean it and remove the wheels so I can get better pics...Hope you don't mind Matt, not trying to steal the thread. I'd much rather see yours anyways :lmao:

IMG00420-20100301-2051.jpg

IMG00421-20100301-2052.jpg

IMG00423-20100301-2052.jpg

IMG00424-20100301-2052.jpg

guys......i looked and looked and i have deleted them out my photobucket and out of my computer. sorry....parker's is the same way....but i did mine at an angle....so mine contours to the bulkhead a little more without scratching the purple coating.

well that was easy...

i was just gunna post this pic..
281qvqb.jpg

and ask what the purpose of the block in the red circle since it completely limits the steering and rubs against the area in the green circle.

this has to be one of the most bizarre designs i've ever seen.

HPI put that darn nub in so that people wouldn't pop the dogbones out. The original version would allow it to turn far enough where the driveshafts would pop out.

So just to clear this up for myself, can you get rid of that nub entirely on the new versions? And not have any problems with the dogbones? I want more turning radius. I did the mod to my stock steering equipment but I would still like it to turn a tighter circle. Would the RSC give me more steering angle versus the modded stock equipment? Or would it just handle better, and not get much more steering angle?

I set me EPA to max and I still have half the nub and the turning Is a lot sharper. I don't see gringing the nub completely off beneficual IMO

So just to clear this up for myself, can you get rid of that nub entirely on the new versions? And not have any problems with the dogbones? I want more turning radius. I did the mod to my stock steering equipment but I would still like it to turn a tighter circle. Would the RSC give me more steering angle versus the modded stock equipment? Or would it just handle better, and not get much more steering angle?

i would not take the nub completely off...you will experience the dogbones poppin out unless you have cvds...then there is only so much steering u will even have with that. the RSC will give you more turn in....not necessarily more turning. it would give a better steering feel and keep the truck more flatfooted. try putting 30k fluid in the front and 10k in the rear and see what that does for you if you don't have the money for the RSC...or experiement with different weight fluids.......

or....
give yourself a little more toe out....which will sort of mimick the RSC to a certain degree....but NOT TOO MUCH!

Thanks man, I added the HPI sway bars night before last and they made a big difference in keeping the chassis level. The Goliath tires pretty much eliminated roll overs and the truck handles great now between the two, especially on dirt. I can loterally toss the truck side to side and it just drifts very nicely. Also seems a bit more nimble with the sways. I'll try the toe-out, right now they are pointed as straight as I could get them by eyeballing them. I'm pretty happy with the way it handles now, just want to get as much steering as I can out of it. Also I have the rear set with some toe-in, if I decrease that would that also help it turn tighter in combination with some toe-out on the front?

Also I have the rear set with some toe-in, if I decrease that would that also help it turn tighter in combination with some toe-out on the front?

hmmmmm.....let me see.........the RSC has a built in two degree toe in which is a lot better for traction. putting the toe back a zero will decrease the trction so to speak.....so it will make the truck handle better and may steering way more responsive because of less "push". as for front toe out/in....remember that toe in make it more stable at high sppeds....and toe out will give you more steering. insufficient traction is not a problem while running zero toe in on the rear of a monster truck.....because it is 4wd. put the rear back at zero and go try her and let me know.

you may not want to do this.....bet u see that you have the steering mod up front.....but you may want to pick up some Flux axles and bring the truck's track in some. i did it with my XL and my steering was awesome.....that's just my opinion though.

Thanks man, stripped my SF-5 steering servo, so I'm looking at replacement servos now. Think I may go with digi servos for both, and Ti gears for steering. Once I try this I'll try to remember to let you know how it worked.

I just thought of something the other day. Matt, do you remember who you sold your RSC to? If so, maybe you can see if they can get a pic of the mod you did and post it here. Just an idea.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back