SOS hpi Savage X refuses to start !?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The gear spur is the plastic thing I was referring to.

well you can't grind down the spur because that is the main drive gear for the truck to drive the transmission with...

that plastic wheel thing i suspect you mean the plastic or nylon spur gear, you must make sure that the engine is lined up right, so the clutch bell gear (pinion gear) on the engine meshes with that plastic wheel (spur gear) not too tightly and not too loose, some wedge a slither of paper between them gears just to get the gap right then tighten down the engine bolts

oh and joe i wished a few more people on forums would do a video or pictures of their problems, it makes it a lot easier for us to understand and figure it out, so a big well done and thanks

another thing is ..... theres a spring and a nut on in the middle of that spur gear (plastic wheel) the tighter it is the less it will slip hence called a slipper clutch, on the back of that spur gear is a pinky pad when that wears down youll need to replace it

yup you stripped the spur gear

list of things to buy
47t spur gear and slipper pad
one way bearing if your other one is trashed

oh congratulations on stripping your first spur gear, we all have done that, please don't buy metal, keep that cog plastic it helps to stop you trashing your gearbox or other drive parts

forgot to add, if you use skype then you can add me so if needed you can call me and i can guide you through what ever you need to get this truck running savage style

Just recently replaced the OWB so I'm sure its fine. Don't have Skype but am willing to make one to get my truck fixed. Is there a right way of putting my engine in so this spur gear doesn't get destroyed

it just a case of making sure the 2 gears are lined up and the mesh is right, as i said, some people put a slither of paper between the gears and then push the whole engine in so the paper is tight between the gears then tighten the engine bolts and take the paper away, that should give the right gear mesh
hope that make sense, its 3.30am here lol and I'm tiring out :)

I've used the paper method for my buggies, my savages and other electric trucks...no worries. With new gears, they get worn down a little till they fit nicely.

image.jpg
Felt so good to finally have my savage running the other day. I feel like there's always something that has to be fixed with my truck hahaa. Do any of yall think I could still get some use out of that old gear spur or will that do more damage to the truck?

the spur has got to have teeth to work, yours has none so is time for a new one :D

Nah! Get a new Spur! Besides....Congrats on getting to finally run it joe!

As for always something to fix? It has only just begun! Muahahahaha!
Even when nothing is broken, you will find something to fix!
Welcome to the club!

A few things to help with the life of the OWB:
--Make sure the starter wand is in straight (a lot of times if you have a wheelie bar is can be tricky)
--Running the rotostart when the engine is flooded will put too much pressure on the OWB. I've seen guys who use a drill (no cut off switch) and just turn the enfine over for 5-10 minutes at a time--not good.
--Check the exhaust seal and ensure no fuel is leaking down into the roto start gear box.

Regarding the spur...that looks melted. If the mesh was off you would have stripped immediately. The only other thing that could have happened is loosing your mesh due to it not being thread-locked. If it happens then your clutch bell is heating up due to something (slippage or friction). The stock engine plate is prone to bending. When it does the bell can rub against the brake discs. Even if it doesn't when stationary, after a jump or something it can hit it and that's good night. Also the joint posts in the bulkhead can bend causing the the TVPs to be tweaked (uneven), once again causing friction.

Look at your bell near the pinion gears. There appears to be a ring around it as if it were rubbing against something. It's hard to say by just the one pic but it certainly looks like it. I wouldn't ignore that,

When setting the mesh just use one hand to hold the spur gear stationary and the other to rock the bell back and forth. You want the minimum amount of play yo can get while still have some play, I wouldn't recommend that paper trick or anything. Just go by what you feel and hear. Good luck

Last edited:
Hi, my savage x 4.6 seems to have a starting issue. Roto start just spins. I have installed a new one way bearing and reassembled. Unfortunately no joy. Roto start just spins and I hear no compression. Having taken the roto start backnplate off from near the engine again I notice there is no 'O' ring part no 1425 (as shown in my manual). Would the missing 'O' ring be causing the issue of no compression and the roto just spinning?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back