Some P&P advice please for my Force .32

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex5

Having read through lots of threads about modding sleeve and crank, and seeing it was time to seal up my (first) new nitro engine. Being almost a total noob I just got stuck in and decided I'd pull the engine to bits and attempt a little p&p work.

Engine is a Force .32 (I didn't want to spend a lot on my first engine, in case I messed up something terribly)

sleeve1b.jpg

sleeve2b.jpg

sleeve4b.jpg

So I was a bit surprised to see that there is already some work done on the ports with this sleeve. They are machine cuts so there are flat edges to the cuts, I intend to give them a bit of rounding, then polish them up with the dremel + rubber polishing tip. I'll also smooth the curve at the bottom of the sleeve. I see some people polish the outside of the sleeve - does this serve any purpose beyond aesthetics??

crankb.jpg

pistonb.jpg

The crank has some rough casting which I'll smooth, but is there anything else that I should be looking to do in terms of polishing and cutting with crank or conrod??

Any advice appreciated, I am a total nitro noob, but in for a penny in for a pound is my attitude! Thanks!

There is actually not a heck of a lot your going to want to do to it. It's actually ported out pretty well. You could cut a bit on it and place some fangs but I don't think I would touch the Sleeve other than what you talked about. You could do some porting in the Crank and open up the leading edge of it to gain tome torque and definitely polish it up. I'm not sure what the front of the Crank looks like but you could add some swoops in it if there isn't any.

You could also fill the crank ti direct the air better. But thats about it.

That crank looks fairly open in terms of the crank, without knowing what the opening, closing, Deg past tdc for closing and total duration, you could "very" easly take power away. Most engines are very different with the crank intake, some are already "on the money" some aren't. Unless you know what you are shooting for in terms of timing numbers, I would not recommend just cutting on any crank, going past an already timed out crank will instantly drop HP and performance. I realy like the idea of a modding section on this forum but I wouldn't give advise unless you know what your talking about.

No pokes, just an observation ;)

https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7105
here is some pics of the force I did, I didnt change any timing although I planned too, but ended up selling it while it was still an engine lol, I personally don't recommend timing changes unless you apsolutly know what you are doing. I have done many flow mods on engines, but stay away from timing changes.
just keep it to some basic flow mods and you should be fine, the performance increase is very minimal, and sometimes not even worth the effort.

Thanks so much for the responses everyone, reinforcing my thoughts and some sage advice.

At this stage in my modding career, I won't be touching the crank opening, I've read enough to know in my hands it will go wrong!
There are a couple of rough areas though on the machining of the front/big end (which the crank lug is on) that I'll go over. It has one swoop cut into the front which I could smooth up. I see some have more than one swoop cut in though - what do these contribute and would I benefit from adding more?

As for the sleeve, I was expecting to find the ports untouched like the magazine article linked in this forum as the engine isn't an expensive one, so I was surprised to see it has had extra processes done at the factory.
I did think it looked pretty much all done, and the finish isn't bad on the cuts, thanks for confirming that.
I will do a tiny bit of work here rounding the flats in the cuts in the ports, and then polish them + the work to the bottom of the sleeve, but I won't be adding any more cuts. Having had a look another look at the inside of the block I can see why you polish the whole of the outer sleeve now too.

I have a couple more days of work now and then I'll get to work on it at the weekend. I'll add pics when the job is done. Thanks again for the advice so far.

I personally don't recommend timing changes unless you apsolutly know what you are doing.

I absolutely agree. I try my best to stay away from Timing changes because I don't know much about them. I did do a little to my spare hpi .25 but this was just to see if I could improve it. I haven't ran it yet so I have no clue.

That crank looks fairly open in terms of the crank, without knowing what the opening, closing, Deg past tdc for closing and total duration, you could "very" easly take power away. Most engines are very different with the crank intake, some are already "on the money" some aren't. Unless you know what you are shooting for in terms of timing numbers, I would not recommend just cutting on any crank, going past an already timed out crank will instantly drop HP and performance. I realy like the idea of a modding section on this forum but I wouldn't give advise unless you know what your talking about.

No pokes, just an observation ;)

I don't recommend anyone cut into theyre expensive mills

my recomendation for a timing change would of followed by,telling him to send it to a pro like AB or RB for the work.

sport class mills are the only engines that will gain from simple hand tuneing as you know of course.

I think a disclaimer for the modding section is a good idea.

any advise for Nick on his engine?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the results:

sleevemod2.jpg

sleevemod3.jpg

sleevemod4.jpg

I used needle files and liquid metal polish, then a little extra smoothing of the ports when my dremel bits arrived.

I left the crank alone other than filing down the rough spots.

Very nice. You did a good job of cleaning the sharp edges. You probably wont notice the change but every little bit counts and is a power gain, and fuel efficient gain. Good job bud.

Thanks Larsen. It kept me occupied for a day and had a shiny outcome, so it's all good!

The engine is rebuilt and sealed up now, hope to have the truck running this week :) To think I'd never have attempted either without the pictoral guides and good advice (disclaimered) of this forum.

Thanks Larsen. It kept me occupied for a day and had a shiny outcome, so it's all good!

The engine is rebuilt and sealed up now, hope to have the truck running this week :) To think I'd never have attempted either without the pictoral guides and good advice (disclaimered) of this forum.

lol, thanks dude

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back