Slipper clutch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodworker

Hi all,

I have had my XS for about a month now and so far it has been pretty trouble free. However, lately I am having a lot of trouble with the slipper clutch. I have run it with a 1/4 turn backed off, fully "tightened," and even have tried loctite. Once I tear it apart and put it back together it runs fine for about 10 minutes, then it slips again.

I have searched this and other forums and it seems this is a common problem. But I have yet to find a definitive solution other than the methods I have listed above. I was going to buy new slipper pads, but everywhere seems to be on back order until about mid September.

Has anyone found a better solution? Upgrade? I am open to about anything as I don't want to wait until September to resolve the issue.

Thanks in advance,
J

You can get them from UK suppliers who will ship to the States:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-RACING-...121871?hash=item488ea98dcf:g:sccAAOxygPtS9Rfz

If you have already experienced slipping, it might be worth stripping it down and making sure both clutch pads are not glazed (if they are, give them a light sand to remove the glazing). You might also find that there is not enough pressure on the spring to keep the clutches tight so try shimming the spring with a washer.

Good luck, I was apprehensive when I bough my XS due to its small size but it is a whole lot of fun :)

Ok, so I cracked it open and figured out the problem.

The problem - The pad on one side of the gear was simply gone, ground to paste. The other side was nearly gone and very gummy. I had to spray it all with brake cleaner and cleaned it all out.

The cause - A week ago, I drove it through a puddle that did not look as deep as it was. I now believe the pads got wet and just destroyed.

I found a place in the states that had one more set available and ordered them tonight. Hopefully they will be here soon. Thanks for the feedback! I am going to also try your suggestion of the shim when I get my new pads in.

I don't think so. There's probably not enough space in there.

Same boat here. Just ordered my new clutch from the UK.. Mine was goop because someone went crazy putting grease in the transmission and the clutch material got contaminated.

Not yet, but I've been meaning to take it apart to see if it's just glued the parts together rather than acting as a slipper.

the weak slipper clutch is the main reason i sold my xs and got a flux hp instead. Slipper clutch was always the problem even when i got new pads they lasted for about 2 solid runs. that thing gave me a head ache i started to hate the hobby because of that miserable thing.

I'm sorry to hear you had trouble with it. I personally love the little XS. I'm glad you found something you enjoy more though!

Latest posts

Members online

Back