Slipper Clutch or Differential?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay so I went out today and I still have the same problem, I tightend it right up then half a turn out and when it's going along it will be okay then the next minute it just revs high and won't move.......

The slipper pad is most likely glazed and needs replaced, when you install the new one tighten it up all the way and LEAVE it tight, it will still slip some to protect your trans gears on heavy loads....

The general consensus is not to loosen the slipper nut at all (see previous posts in this thread!!!!). Even 1/4 turn can cause it to slip making the pad glaze over which basically ruins it. Do it up tight and leave it tight and you should have no issues.

The slipper pad is most likely glazed and needs replaced, when you install the new one tighten it up all the way and LEAVE it tight, it will still slip some to protect your trans gears on heavy loads....
Okay I will put a new one in a give it a good thankyou for the information :)

Okay I will put a new one in a give it a good thankyou for the information :)

That's the same thing that happened to me so I did what Jam suggested and tightened up my slipper clutch all the way through. My truck is running good now.

Last edited:
The new Forum mantra has to be........... "I promise to keep my slipper clutch tightened fully and not believe what HPI tell me".:woot::woot::woot:

Okay so I changed my slipper pad and I still have the same problem as before, with the car going fine then suddenly high revving and won't move until I cut it out and go again

Okay so I changed my slipper pad and I still have the same problem as before, with the car going fine then suddenly high revving and won't move until I cut it out and go again

Well it is possible the shift hub in the transmission is slipping on the shaft or even the shoe in the hub is bad causing the trouble, so start looking into that also......

I have already looked at them and all is fine... I am slightly getting annoyed because I can't find the problem.. Maybe it's the bearings in the clutch bell because it's a little wobble but only the tiniest bit could that be the problem?

Doubt it is the clutch bell bearings, but it is possible the shoes inside are worn and the springs are weak letting the clutch disengage for a time......

Doubt it is the clutch bell bearings, but it is possible the shoes inside are worn and the springs are weak letting the clutch disengage for a time......
Oh right fair enough not sure I can be bothered with it anyway don't have the time

When it revs and doesn't move, look at it and figure out what's spinning vs what isn't.

If the cb/spur are spinning, it's not your flywheel or clutch. If the center shaft of the spur is spinning and the output shafts of the trans aren't, it's in the trans.

Could be your OWB in the trans is shot. I've honestly never worn one out in a savage. I have in my t-max/revo/LST though.

When it revs and doesn't move, look at it and figure out what's spinning vs what isn't.

If the cb/spur are spinning, it's not your flywheel or clutch. If the center shaft of the spur is spinning and the output shafts of the trans aren't, it's in the trans.

Could be your OWB in the trans is shot. I've honestly never worn one out in a savage. I have in my t-max/revo/LST though.
I have looked mate and honestly the spur gear is spinning as well as the clutch bell but didn't really see anything else as iv just given up and I'm good with theses had them for years but I honestly don't have a clue now, not even a shop to go to that is near

Is the shaft the spur is on spinning? You should be able to see the nut/spring spinning.

If it is spinning and the output shaft of the trans isn't spinning, then it's clearly something inside the trans. Be it a sheared pin or more than likely, the one way bearing slipping in the two speed.

A sheared pin likely wouldn't work, then work, then not work... but a worn OWB would work sporadically until it stopped grabbing entirely or slips and heats so bad that it melts the bearing race.

If it is the OWB, then I highly suggest you replace the bearing and the shaft it spins on. As the bearing wears, so does the shaft, so putting a new bearing on the old shaft will just wear out your new bearing more quickly.

There honestly all fine mate, iv had that all checked! But thankyou... There is one thing that may cause the problem, I have metal spur gears with the racing clutch bell too, but I don't have a metal slipper pad I just have the standard one, iv looked about and apparently they should have two one on either side of the spur gear do you think that is the problem?... Also my left front wheel doesn't spin the right one because The dog bone looks to small

If the problem was your slipper, you wouldn't see the center shaft spin when your having your problem.

I'm running a metal spur gear and racing clutch bell but I only have one slipper pad, iv heard you should run two would this be my problem?

Take your spur out and look at the pad. It may have turned to melted goo that will bind the slipper. I run steel gears made for dual slippers but only use a pad on one side. If you have a single pad slipper you just need to get it tight. If you have a dual slipper then put it together with 2 pads.

My pad is fine I changed it two days ago and it is tight iv tried it tight and a little bit from tight and still the same problem maybe I need to put a dual one on that might help? I did notice that my dog bone on the right front arm is spinning and won't connect with the right front tire properly would that cause the car to stop and high Rev and not move?

A dual slipper will not do anything a single one that is working right wont do.

You would have to have a bad one on each end for it to rev like that. If the front dogbone disconected the rear would still drive unless there is a problem there too.

Yeah I know what you mean and thankyou for trying to help, I just really don't know what's wrong,
Like it will go fine for like 5 mins or so then it just randomly stops and really high revs I have to cut it out because it's like it will blow up. Just losing ideas now

So the engine revs without giving it throttle? Sounds like your engine is moving/lose somehow. That would disconect the gears and move the throttle linkage giving it fuel at the same time giving you a screaming engine with no load. I would look really hard at the engine mount/mounting plate for cracks.

Basically what happens is I would be driving it and it suddenly stops and high revs but if I move the throttle or anything is doesn't do nothing it just high revs still?

You would have to have multiple problems. If the engine is reving the truck should be moving. So part of your driveline is disconecting somewhere. If it is the dogbones it would have to be one in the front and the back. Could you be missing one of the drive pins in the rear wheel hexes. Not going and not responding to the radio are 2 different problems. Is your throttle servo dying?
Does the steering stop too? Are you losing your radio link?

The radio gear is fine mate, it's something to do with the car I have looked at the Hexes and they all are there as I can see I'm just confused now surely it's to do with the gears or something?

Does it rev and stay there or drop to idle when you release the throttle. You mentioned having to kill the motor so it didnt blow up.
As others asked is the spur gear turning with the engine RPMs? If it is your going to have to look inside the transmission. If not your going to have to look at your clutch on the engine.

No the car revs with no throttle really high I have to cut the car out, when I try and use the throttle nothing happens it just Carrys on revving high! And yes mate the spur gear still spins when it's sitting there revving high? So what will it be in the trans?

Could be one of the hubs in the trans has loosened up, but I am thinking a couple of the drive cup pins on the differentials have been lost.... they are not locktited from the factory and it is common for them to fall out..... consult the manual and check all of the pins, remove them and locktite them....

Pick the car up in the front with the back wheels on the ground. Turn one wheel while holding the other. You should feel the wheel trying to turn and nothing should slip. Then do this to the back wheels and then front to back on each side.

Latest posts

Members online

Back