Slipper Clutch or Differential?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James B.Valencia

I was doing some WOT passes with my Savage XL (LRP 32), then all of a sudden the wheels start losing power. The engine is running good and revving but the truck isn't moving too fast.

I haven't took my truck apart yet to inspect what the problem is.
Last time this happened, I just tightened the slipper clutch, but this time the slipper looks okay.

What are the possibilities that it could be a shot front/rear differential or other things? it's suppose to have the upgraded sinister / bulletproof differentials.

I'm hoping it's just the slipper clutch issue again and if it is, would anyone know if the Robinson Racing Gen 3 slipper unit for the Savage 4.6 also fit the Savage XL?

It is very easy to isolate if it is the diff or slipper, hold one wheel in your hand and rotate the other while feeling for gritty action from the diff, do this for front and rear respectively and if it is notchy or makes noise then is probably the differential broken somewhere, to check the slipper you can try to rotate the gear while holding the back slipper hub still it should be difficult to turn the spur gear if at all....

It is very easy to isolate if it is the diff or slipper, hold one wheel in your hand and rotate the other while feeling for gritty action from the diff, do this for front and rear respectively and if it is notchy or makes noise then is probably the differential broken somewhere, to check the slipper you can try to rotate the gear while holding the back slipper hub still it should be difficult to turn the spur gear if at all....

Thanks Jam, I'll give it a try.
Also, would you know if the RR Gen 3 slipper unit for the Savage be compatible with the Savage XL and stock HPI vented clutch bells?

You're likely issue is one of the drive cup's grub screw. They fall out. There is one on each side of the transmission output and one on the input to each diff. If one is missing slap and new one in and add some loctite to the threads.

I did what Jam suggested, my diffs were grabbing good. Also checked for missing grubs screws.

The come to find out that one of the wheel hexes stripped the rim.

Gonna need to replace one wheel now.

I did what Jam suggested, my diffs were grabbing good. Also checked for missing grubs screws.

The come to find out that one of the wheel hexes stripped the rim.

Gonna need to replace one wheel now.

Not uncommon when the wheel nuts are not kept properly tightened. Something to always check before each run.

Not uncommon when the wheel nuts are not kept properly tightened. Something to always check before each run.

Yes I will do that from now on, especially the wheel that was stripped was the R/Rear. The side that usually accumulates the oil from the exhaust.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

I'm still having issues with my Savage XL.
I checked the diffs, dog bones, grub screws, and also replaced the slipper pad / clutch shoes.

Last resort, how can I tell if the transmission is shot?
The truck is moving slow but I can hear the engine revving good...but truck seems like it's it's slipping even though the engine is pulling it.

Just have to take it apart and look at it. I've had mine tore down all the way and put it back to together really easy transmission to tinker with. Might look into the integy c22926 or the hot racing hub setup my stock wheel nuts were always giving me issue's, now with the conversion they are solid.

Yes the Savage XL is a 3 speed.
Not sure what's going on with my truck, I opened up the the transmission and diff case to inspect the gears..it's all good.
All the grub screws on the truck are tight.

Going to try and tighten the slipper all the way through and test from there..

Man that's weird it's gotta be something very mi-newt that your not seeing, but sounds like you have listed every possibility it could be. keep us posted and good luck. I know we have all been there before it is nerve racking. Does the truck free roll when its running or not running? does it have any resistance at all?

Well I tightened the slipper clutch all the way through and so far, my truck is running good again. I tested it with 2 full tanks of fuel and my LRP 32 engine is pushing the truck the way it should...got the power back!

It's weird, because the first thing I did before taking apart the tranny and diffs was to check the slipper clutch and I even replaced it with a new pad. I guess the problem was that I loosened the slipper nut based on the factory specs which is 1/2 turn loose from all the way tight.

Wondering who else experienced slipper clutch issues running an LRP or similar aftermarket engine? How's your slipper clutch setup?

Also, now I'm thinking about replacing the stock slipper clutch to the Robinson Racing Gen 3 slipper unit. I have this for my Revo and it's been solid so far.

Any thoughts about that?

Well I tightened the slipper clutch all the way through and so far, my truck is running good again. I tested it with 2 full tanks of fuel and my LRP 32 engine is pushing the truck the way it should...got the power back!

It's weird, because the first thing I did before taking apart the tranny and diffs was to check the slipper clutch and I even replaced it with a new pad. I guess the problem was that I loosened the slipper nut based on the factory specs which is 1/2 turn loose from all the way tight.

Wondering who else experienced slipper clutch issues running an LRP or similar aftermarket engine? How's your slipper clutch setup?

Also, now I'm thinking about replacing the stock slipper clutch to the Robinson Racing Gen 3 slipper unit. I have this for my Revo and it's been solid so far.

Any thoughts about that?

Like has been posted many times here and on other places, 1/4 to 1/2 turn loose on that slipper is too much and once it slips the pad glazes up and it is all over with, running it locked down from the get go seems to be the best way to go......

I'm just going to keep my slipper tight also. I guess I won't need to buy the RR Gen 3 slipper unit..thanks for all the advice!

It always amazes me how people will never believe what everyone is saying until they witness it for themselves. Almost everyone on this site has their slipper locked down.......and yet every new person insists on running it backed off some. They all realize the error of their ways eventually........haha.

This would not be an interesting forum if it weren't for us newbies keeping you all busy..hahaha!! Thanks for all the good advice!

Yes, let's make this a sticky about the slipper clutch.

Hello all, I have a savage xl with 4.6 conversion... I have a problem;( when I jump and land it just revs, after like five seconds it will move again... Could anyone help?

Hello all, I have a savage xl with 4.6 conversion... I have a problem;( when I jump and land it just revs, after like five seconds it will move again... Could anyone help?
You might want to start your own thread.

What do you see spinning in the drive train when this happens?

Thankyou I'll give it a go
Okay so I went out today and I still have the same problem, I tightend it right up then half a turn out and when it's going along it will be okay then the next minute it just revs high and won't move.......

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back