Shims Anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Distrait

So I've gone backwards on the assembly of my XSS, pulled out the diffs, disassembled them and degreased them. They're ready for diff oil and shims.

I've got the diff oil, but as for shims I'm looking around.

Baddasz Savage was nice enough to make us all a video on how to shim the diffs: https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9478

He also sent me an ebay link to the type of shims I should be looking for, the Hellfire ones. They're 13x16x0.2mm. So I started to wonder if I could find some shim washers that would work but come in different thicknesses, hopefully thinner. My reasoning is this:

You're shimming your diffs and they feel a little sloppy, so you add one 0.2mm shim and it gets stiff. So you're stuck, and you have to deal with a bit of slop. Now I realise 0.2 isn't that much, but .. hey why not get more accurate if you can?

So I've found some shim washers that I think might work, and I want to know if you guys think they'll work. They're 10mm I.D. and 16mm O.D. The best part is I can get them in 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.5mm thicknesses. So if you'd need more than one of the thinner ones, you can goto a thicker one, as well as get the 0.1 more accuracy over the 0.2's.

So let me know what you guys think! I can get them dirt cheap if a few people want to get in on some kits; I'd just send them in an envelope.

0.1mm would be awfully small. I would think they might disintegrate. I used those Hellfire ones to shim my CEN diffs and used 5 of them.

Let us know how they work though like Jeremy said.

Hey guys, sorry its been a while. I've been busy at work, and also getting back into another hobby of mine (paintball :D)

Anyways, I got these shims and they work great, but I've also figured out a different place to put the shims for the pinion gear.. I'm probably going to write up a tutorial with pics sometime soon, perhaps tommorrow if I feel upto it. Also, where I put my shims for the pinion gear, there is little to no wear on them so the thinner ones won't be a problem :p

I've got 0.1mm, 0.2mm and 0.5mm. A bunch. Keep your eyes pealed.. because I'm going to give away some shim sets when I make my tutorial post... maybe like the first 5 requests will get them free. After that, if anyone wants some all I ask is to cover the shipping and cost of the shims.. I'm not looking to make a profit. I'd probably be able to ship a set anywhere in north america for like $2.50 and I'd include enough to shim both diffs completly.. say 10 of each thickness or something like that, you'd probably be able to do 2 savvys with that! :cool:

hey distrait, i was wondering if i can get a set of those shims your talking about for the diffs. I'm going to rebuild mine this year and could use a set to make life easier. you said $2.50? thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Back