Shimming off???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavageXL85

Is my shimming still off??? The one on the right is what the front/rear diff having been doing ...not breaking teeth anymore. The one on the left is brand new.

Attachments

• IMG_20200414_193533.jpg
    IMG_20200414_193533.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I'm using the bulletproof gears from rc4me and been using chain wax but now switched to tacky red grease to see if that helps

Last edited:
I'm using the bulletproof gears from rc4me and been using tacky red grease or chain wax
I wouldn’t use chain wax, too slick imo I use Lucas oil red and tacky grease and it’s been great. I’ve never seen gears wear like that, I don’t think it’s a shim issue, it looks like your drive shaft that turns the pinion isn’t spinning true

What is the condition of the other 29t gear?

I wouldn’t use chain wax, too slick imo I use Lucas oil red and tacky grease and it’s been great. I’ve never seen gears wear like that, I don’t think it’s a shim issue, it looks like your drive shaft that turns the pinion isn’t spinning true

This. Something else is definitely off or broken, check your diff case thoroughly

29t gear looks fine. Bulkheads are relatively new.... swapped both when I rebuilt the truck. Bearings I've been using the dollar bearings off a site everyone recommended just forgot what it's called but seem ok from what I can tell

If the 9t bevel gear is being held by two good bearings and there is little forward/back play, then it would suggest that these rc4me 9t gears are made of poor quality steel. Is the 29t gear original HPI?

How did the diff sound when assembled and moved?

I'm like 98% sure the 29t gears are both original hpi. No side to side movement from diff. Pinion has two shims with very little movement.

Ive come to the conclusion my pinion gear had too much slop...ordered some new shims. Hopefully this works.

If the 9t bevel gear is being held by two good bearings and there is little forward/back play, then it would suggest that these rc4me 9t gears are made of poor quality steel. Is the 29t gear original HPI?

How did the diff sound when assembled and moved?
ill agree with the rc4me not being great quality ,I'm having issues with the RC4me ring and pinions not sounding like they are meshing properly even when i add shims, ive shimmed many diffs for other trucks and i cant get this one right. it sounds like a terrible mesh but no matter where i add shims (ie push pinion into crown or push it away , the sound dosnt go away ). it spins freely and feels right but sounds horrible

Latest posts

Members online

Back