Servo comparison

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

I haven't seen or heard of a good/thorough servo comparison as of yet...so I'd like to start one, compile it, and then make a sticky out of it if the mods/admins agree.

I'll take care of compiling the list if people will chime in and give me/us input as to which servo's they've used and overall experience. I'll do the dirty work of gathering specs & prices if you don't list it yourself.

Whatcha think?!

I'm testing a Jr 8800T High Torque Digital Servo (3 year warranty)

torque: 188 oz.
speed: .15 sec.

114.99 retail ( you can get it cheaper )

I have only used it for 3 tanks

seems nice so far

longivity is what I'm looking for out of this servo, I have had bad luck
lately with Hitec hs-645mg ( service at Hitec has been good about replacing )

Hitec 645 mg

Retail Price= $35-$40

SPECS: Speed: 0.24 sec/60 degrees at 4.8V
0.20 sec/60 degrees at 6.0V
Torque: 106.93 oz-in at 4.8V (7.7 kg-cm)
133.31 oz-in at 6.0V (9.6 kg-cm)
Length: 1.59" (40.6mm)

Width: 0.77" (19.8mm)
Height: 1.48" (37.8mm)
Weight: 2.11oz (60g)

IMOafter using this servo for 8 months, although it is an upgrade from stock and will work, I don't think it was intended to spend its life as a steering servo for a savage; it just doesnt have enough torque or speed to give decent results, especially with a powerful mill.

If you lift the tires off the ground, the 645mg will turn them ok, but most times it will not turn the tires if the truck is on the ground and not moving.

If your looking for a very inexpensive servo with metal gears, and a low price is more important to you than torque or speed, this will work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great start! I'm gonna run the entire spectrum with this. As in $30 Hitec 645 all the way up to the JR 9100 and the like ($100+).

Retail Price= $35-$40

SPECS: Speed: 0.24 sec/60 degrees at 4.8V
0.20 sec/60 degrees at 6.0V
Torque: 106.93 oz-in at 4.8V (7.7 kg-cm)
133.31 oz-in at 6.0V (9.6 kg-cm)
Length: 1.59" (40.6mm)

Width: 0.77" (19.8mm)
Height: 1.48" (37.8mm)
Weight: 2.11oz (60g)

IMOafter using this servo for 8 months, although it is an upgrade from stock and will work, I don't think it was intended to spend its life as a steering servo for a savage; it just doesnt have enough torque or speed to give decent results, especially with a powerful mill.

If you lift the tires off the ground, the 645mg will turn them ok, but most times it will not turn the tires if the truck is on the ground and not moving.

If your looking for a very inexpensive servo with metal gears, and a low price is more important to you than torque or speed, this will work.

+2 the 645mg is a little week to turn xl axles with offset wheels

The bomb right here. Pricey but an awesome steering servo. Currently using this on a Hellfire and a Savage.

Z9100T Digital Ultra-Torque MG Servo
Specs
Size Category: Standard Type: Digital Torque: 300 oz/in @ 4.8V, 370 oz/in @ 6V Speed: .18 sec / 60 degrees @ 4.8V, .15 sec / 60 degrees @ 6V Dimensions (WxLxH): 0.827"x1.59"x1.569" Weight: 2.3 oz Bushing Or Bearing: Bearing Bearing: Dual Motor Type: Coreless Gear Type: Metal Application: Surface vehicles

Here we go

Here's my initial listing, but these are all high-end servo's. We need a few more budget servo's for the list. hehe

Here's my initial listing, but these are all high-end servo's. We need a few more budget servo's for the list. hehe

I cant open it on this pc

I imagine other guys may have the same problem without the rite software.

can it be copy & pasted into this thread?

Nice work Chris...This will help out alot..+1

Thanks man.

Great chart chris. +1. can you add a digital/analogue column?

Good point...I thought about it, but the sheet was getting kinda wide. Will do!

I cant open it on this pc

I imagine other guys may have the same problem without the rite software.

can it be copy & pasted into this thread?

With a little formatting sure, or I will just copy/paste into a Word document.

HITEC 5645. i use this as my throttle servo for the HF and savage.

50 bucks at smf..http://storefront.smfstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=33_56&products_id=928

Spec sheet link
http://www.hitecrcd.com/product_file/file/88/hs5645.pdf

Motor Type:
3 PoleBearing
Type:Dual Ball Bearing
Speed:0.23 / 0.18 sec @ 60 deg.
English-MetricTorque:143.03 / 168.03 oz.in (4.8v/6v)10.3 / 12.1 kg.cm
Size:1.59" x 0.77" x 1.48"40.60 x 19.80 x 37.80mm
Weight:2.11oz60.00g

Got it thanks! :resp:

I have just invested in a Hitech HS7955TG,

Cost me £60/$95 posted

I will put up a review once I run it on my truck...from looking the figures I think I am going to like it!!!

SPECS
Speed: 0.19 sec/60 degrees at 4.8v
0.15 sec/60 degrees at 6.0v
Torque: 249.96 oz-in (18kg-cm) at 4.8v
333.29 oz-in (24.0kg-cm) at 6.0v

Nice. Maybe it would be useful to add a column to compile the amount of +1's (and maybe another for -1's) on a particular servo? What about making this into a Google Doc / Spreadsheet so people can add their vote for a particular servo?

This could help people choose what's best based on other's opinions and experience without having to dig through a dozen posts about individual servos and/or create a thread asking if servo X is good, etc.

I bought a Hitec HS-5645MG for steering and HS-5625MG for my Savage which should be arriving at my door in the coming week. I will try to post reviews about those and some info for your spreadsheet ASAP!

Cost me £60/$95 posted

I will put up a review once I run it on my truck...from looking the figures I think I am going to like it!!!

SPECS

I grabbed the same servo for $75 shipped its was slightly used from someone off RCuniverse. Although most of the guys at the LHS swear by the JR 9100t I think it is. it was twice the cost of this servo tho and couldn't justify the cost...If I blow this one up I may step up. So we'll see how it fairs

Nice. Maybe it would be useful to add a column to compile the amount of +1's (and maybe another for -1's) on a particular servo? What about making this into a Google Doc / Spreadsheet so people can add their vote for a particular servo?

This could help people choose what's best based on other's opinions and experience without having to dig through a dozen posts about individual servos and/or create a thread asking if servo X is good, etc.

I bought a Hitec HS-5645MG for steering and HS-5625MG for my Savage which should be arriving at my door in the coming week. I will try to post reviews about those and some info for your spreadsheet ASAP!

Pay attention man...that's what I'm doing. hehe j/k :resp:

I already have an Excel spreadsheet compiled, and added motor type, analog/digital and some other things. Just looking for a better way of making it available to the masses. :jamout:

Thanks everybody and you're welcome. I'm taking all suggestions into account...keep it coming.

Pay attention man...that's what I'm doing. hehe j/k :resp:

I already have an Excel spreadsheet compiled, and added motor type, analog/digital and some other things. Just looking for a better way of making it available to the masses. :jamout:

Thanks everybody and you're welcome. I'm taking all suggestions into account...keep it coming.

lol! Looks like you didn't read my post well enough, I suggested that you put your spreadsheet on Google Docs (which is a way to share documents online and enable multiple people to edit it simultaneously).

So I guess I should be saying.. pay attention man! :lmao: (joke too!)

Seriously, that would be a better way to make it available to the masses and this way people could "+1" their favorite servo themselves without you having to modify your Excel spreadsheet with people's data and re-upload it.

Everyone could add some servos too, so the listing could get very complete in a very short amount of time and minimal work for you. Just a suggestion!

https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums...ead.php?t=6793

Whoops...should do a little searching first aye?

You guys want me to add this to my list or contact nickmind and add to his?

Regarding that, if you choose to use Google Docs, adding nickmind's stuff would be ideal I think.

Cost me £60/$95 posted

SPECS

I grabbed the same servo for $75 shipped its was slightly used from someone off RCuniverse. Although most of the guys at the LHS swear by the JR 9100t I think it is. it was twice the cost of this servo tho and couldn't justify the cost...If I blow this one up I may step up. So we'll see how it fairs

You both should love them. That's what I'm runnin in mine and it can turn the huge Cen GST 7.7 rim/tires on concrete with ease. It doesn't go full right-to-left lock because I've still got the servo saver a little loose for this servo. You'll definately need to use a hump pack with this servo or use 4 AA Energizer Lithiums, or basically 6volts. I've been using mine for the last almost 2 yrs. and it's still as strong as it was new.

These are the next servos I plan on getting when I need to replace my current ones.

For throttle/brake

Link: http://www.hitecrcd.com/servos/show?name=HS-7940TH

Hitec's fastest standard size servo the "Ultra Speed" HS-7940TH is designed to operate on a two cell LiPo Pack. Featuring our high resolution "G2" second generation programmable digital circuit and our indestructible Titanium gears, The HS-7940TH has the performance and durability you've come to expect from a Hitec servo. Other features in the HS-7040TH include a 7.4v optimized coreless motor, integrated heat sink case, and a top case with two hardened steel gear pins supported by axial brass bushing.

The HS-7940TH has been designed for applications where speed and response is demanded. Perfect for High Performance Nitro and Electric Helicopters, Aircraft, Cars, and Trucks. Featuring a blistering transit time of .07sec but still maintaining a respectable 183 in/oz of torque at 6.0 volts.

Due June 2009

Detailed Specifications

Motor Type: Coreless
Bearing Type: Dual BB
Speed: 0.07 / 0.06 sec @ 60 deg.
English Metric
Torque: 181 / 222 oz./in. (6.0v/7.4v)

Detailed Feature Descriptions
G2 Digital Circuit
Titanium Gear Train (MK first gear)
Ultra Performance Coreless Motor
Heatsink Case
(8) O-Rings for Water/Dust/Fuel protection
Dual Ball Bearing Supported Output Shaft
Programable Features Include:

Dead Band Width
Direction of Rotation
Speed of Rotation (slower)
End Points
Neutral Points
Fail Safe On/Off
Fail Safe Point
Resolution* (default is high resolution)
Overload Protection* (default is off)
*These features are only programable with the HFP-20, HPP-20 or HPP-21 programmers

For steering

Link: http://www.hitecrcd.com/servos/show?name=HS-7950TH

Hitec's strongest servo period, the "Ultra Torque" HS-7950TH is designed to operate on a two cell LiPo Pack. Featuring our high resolution "G2" second generation programmable digital circuit and our indestructible Titanium gears, The HS-7950TH has the performance and durability you've come to expect from a Hitec servo. Other features in the HS-7050TH include a 7.4v optimized coreless motor, integrated heat sink case, and a top case with two hardened steel gear pins supported by axial brass bushing.

The HS-7950TG has been designed for the most demanding hobby applications including the largest aircraft and monster trucks. Featuring a titanic 403oz./in. of torque at 6.0 volts, while still maintaining a respectable 0.15 second transit time

Due June 2009

Detailed Specifications

Motor Type: Coreless
Bearing Type: Dual BB
Speed: 0.15 / 0.13 sec @ 60 deg.
English Metric
Torque: 403 / 486 oz./in. (6.0v/7.4v)

Detailed Feature Descriptions
G2 Digital Circuit
Titanium Gear Train (MK first gear)
Ultra Performance Coreless Motor
Heatsink Case
(8) O-Rings for Water/Dust/Fuel protection
Dual Ball Bearing Supported Output Shaft
Programable Features Include:

Dead Band Width
Direction of Rotation
Speed of Rotation (slower)
End Points
Neutral Points
Fail Safe On/Off
Fail Safe Point
Resolution* (default is high resolution)
Overload Protection* (default is off)
*These features are only programable with the HFP-20, HPP-20 or HPP-21 programmers

Airtronics 94780 is a bad dude. 426inch oz. No more steering problems my savage will turn fast and with no problem on any terrain

My computer had a hard-drive failure guys...lost the document I was working on. My back-up is a little old so I gotta almost start over.

I've got friends that work in data recovery and will likely get the info back, but just wanted to explain the delay. :slapped:

Sorry to hear that Chris. I know what it's like to have your comp crash on you. I'm hopefully a little luckier than, cuz my problem is that windows won't load. Hard drive is good, just a windows problem. Haven't gotten it fixed yet though.

Members online

Back