SavageX 4.6 super gear(spur gear)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chronic

I've had my savage for three days now, broke it in yesterday, did a mild tune so I could start to play with it. Today I was showing my girlfriend the new toy (of course it breaks right!)

It just stopped moving after I swear five minutes on dirt.

Remove the body and the spur gear is stripped so bad the clutch's gear wont even touch it.
Picture093.jpg

Picture096-1.jpg

This was the ready to run kit, no assembly required.

Whats the deal in your eyes? I've never had an rc car like this before, I haven't even opened it right up yet. I've just been mildy playing in dirt getting used to it.
In the manual it doesn't mention anything about adjusting the thing, unless you install it.

My friend who inspired me to get one, bought the savage kit you build. I phoned him tonight and he told me his spur gear is steel? Not plastic.

I'm just confused and bummed out as all day I starred at my lathe wanting to play with my truck lol Dramatic I know.

What do you figure happened? Tomorrow I'll obviously go to the hobby store and get another i guess. But, I jsut don't understand why I AM getting another one.

No assembly required, but you still have to look over the truck for tightened bolts and mesh. I think your meching on the spur and clutch bell was too tight. Search for "spur mesh" on the site, you'll find QUITE a few suggestions on how to resolve it....Welcome to the site!

Thanks buddy.

I will do, Spur gears should be cheap hey? I think I'll buy two, or three. You know, first time you turbo charge a car, you expect an explosion! Its good to have back up heh
bigthumb.gif

I have to ask, are there any pointers you can give me just on the fly here, about anything? Like I said, I've never owned an rc like this before, just cheap **** radio shack things when I was a kid. And I obviously have a load of info to learn here. I do research my hobbies, I just hopped into this one a bit before the hard research took place, I'm sure you can empathize lol

Does this forum only support certain priviledged members? I seem to try and post things and it wont let me, whilst telling me my post is being processed?

Edit-Of course it works when I complain.

Anyway Forget that. I want to thank you man! I have a ....ton of things I need to learn about these trucks. I usually jump into things after a lot of research. But this one I got into blind.

I'll have to buy a couple spur gears and try this meshing junk out.

Last edited by a moderator:
haha...whenever you post, there is a screen that comes up which tells you that the post may be placed in a moderation queue. All new members have their posts screened due to flybynight spammers that post inappropriate material. Just give it a minute and we'll approve them.

As far as the Spurs are concerned, they're only about 4 bucks a piece. It's always good to have a spare anyways.

on the hpi website theres a video about setting the mesh right, very helpful and yes spur gears are only like $4 or $5 dollars thats why i stick with the plastic one! as long as everything is set right they hold up really well actually chronic! sorry to hear your day with the truck went like that but it gets better i promise!

I Think Any Rtr Truck Manual Should Tell U To Check The Mesh And Needle Settings And So On As Ready To Run Isnt Exactly As It Sounds! Yes Its All Put Together But When Your New To This You Take Rtr As Everthing Set Right And So On! And Thats Not Always The Case! My Savage X Had The Low Speed Needle So Lean It Wouldnt Stop. The Engine Just Revved Up But Supposedly The Needles Were Factory Set For Break In More Like Blow Up! Ha Ha Luckily I Had Read Enough Info To Fix The Problem Before It Toasted My Engine! So Now I Always Check Needle Settings,mesh And All That Stuff Before I Take It Out For The First Time, Lesson Learned Lol

But don't Get To Discouraged All Of The Rtr's Out There Have There "bugs" So To Speak But By Far The Savage Line Seems To Give Less Headaches And More Fun Then The Rest! I Was One Of The Lucky Ones I Guess As I've Ran Like 17 Tanks Of Fuel Through My Truck And My Spur Is Like New! Apparently Some Of The Older Rtr Savage Kits Had The Gear Mesh Set Wrong But The Newer Ones Have Had Tht Problem Fixed! Again Thats Another Bonus Of Hpi, They Really Listen To What There Customers Are Saying About There products And Address The Issues! Apparently Thats How The Sav X Came About, People Had Said They Wanted Things Changed And Hpi Did So With The Sav X

I Will Agree Though That The Steel Spur Gears May Hold Up Better But Are More Expensive To Replace And If A Problem Occurs The Downside Is It Transfers The Damage To Your Internal Gears Which Is Even More Expensive! With The Plastic One It Acts As The "weak Link" So To Speak And U May Have To Replace A $5 Spur As Apposed To A Tranny! so i guess what I'm saying is since your mesh was to tight, if you had of had a steel spur you would probabally be replacing the tranny instead of the spur gear!

Ok, that makes sense! lol I was so confused posting last night. Really glad I didn't end up with a dozen threads then. I kept hitting enter.

Anyway, cool guys. While I posted this last night I found that video on hpis website. So I will definitely use it.
I'm not discouraged either, don't worry I pulled the ebay add after I settled down lol I'm understanding what you mean about checking the rtrs anyway. I had to put all new oil in my shocks as 6 of the 8 were just springs.

Just another question about setting the spur gear. How do I know its too tight or too lose? The manual states to make mild adjustments to the tension of that spring if either case is present. However I have no clue how the truck should act?
Thanks bud.

oh u mean the spring on the clutch-spur gear? if so u tighten it right up then back it off a half a turn, that is the correct setting!

Easy way to set the mesh is use a strip of paper, place it between the clutch bell and spur, slide the CB over till its snug aganst the spur, tighten the motor down. there should be just a slight amount of play between them. To set up the tention on the slipper, tighten the nut all the way, then turn it 1/4 of a turn back. The slippers job is to let the spur slip under a load(Like when you land a jumpor, any extrem traction situation) so it does not dammage your drive train, engine, extc.
Also Welcome to the site, lots of great people here that don't mind helping when ya need it. Have fun with your new truck hope you enjoy it...

is it better to set the tension at a 1/4 turn? i just went by what the manual said and it says a 1/2turn! guess its a matter of choice maybe?

Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah, I just went to the store, bought a couple spurs. Installed it and yeah. It was way way to lose! I watched that vid from hpi again. Did the paper trick and now it feels like the guy described it should.

So, I'll go for a rip and see how she does.
Thanks guys!

Well it worked perfect, gear looks like new still.

Although I was only able to drive it for about twenty minutes. Once it stalled I killed my roto start trying to get it to run again
no.gif

I need to tune this, and I was never good with carbs. God help me lol

Well Glad To Hear It Worked Out For U! don't Feel Bad I Was Totally Intimadated By My Truck I Was Almost Afraid To Tinker With It At First For Fear Of Screwing It Up! Lmao But As I Played With It A Little I Realized They Make These Things Pretty Easy To Work On!

For Tuning Help Check Out The "newbies Corner" Forum Then Look For Doobies Newbie Links Theres A Lot Of Great Info There! So Thanks Doob For Making It Alot Easier To Help People!

And Sorry I Didnt Say It Before But Welcome To The Forum Chronic! This Forum Is The Best I've Seen For Help!

Thanks man, where are you located in canada?

Oh ok, I was just curious. I'm from edmonton alberta.

So, I got it tuned half decent tonight. Went for an awesome rip in a walmart parking lot. And now I have more work lol, Kind of misjudged where a curb was and she did a nice barel roll into a shrubbery. Doesn't drive to straight haha.

Smells like coffee too, I smoked a half full cup of cold coffee that was on the ground lol.

Good times :D

well glad to hear that your having fun, when i got my truck tuned pretty good it kinda surprised me as to how powerful and quick these little engines are!

Damn straight! I don't think I bent anything to bad. There really isn't any play any where besides what was there to begin with stock.

So, I adjusted the tie rods and now its straight again. I'll have to take it all apart just to make sure one day though.

But here is another question for you guys. Probably a simple one, but can your automatic tranny come out of factory tune? Because I am not hitting second gear anymore since the walmart thing. I didn't hit these curbs super hard or anything. Basically coasting kind of quick with the brake on.

I watched the video on how to adjust your second gears engagement timing. But I was just wondering before I screw with it, if you figure something else is wrong?

It would hit second once or twice while I was tuning it. But not anymore?

Is it possible I have my top end too rich or lean dissabling it to rev to the shifting rpm?

Edit- It also sounds like it almost misses while I start to punch it.

Edit once more- Should I make a new thread for this one?

Hmmm Thats A Good Question Cuz I'm Not Sure What That Would Be Because I don't Think Your Tranny Setting Changes On Its Own By A Crash But Maybe With The Jolt I'm Not Sure! But I Do Know If Its Too rich Often U Wont Hit Second Gear As The Engine Doesnt "wind Out" High Enough To Engage Second Gear as u said!

I'm kind of routing towards that my self.

The thing that has really screwed me up is the "factory" needle settings in the manual. I got the impression if you get so mucked up tuning your car you're supposed to refere back to those settings and start over.

Now at those settings, I can shoot a stream of raw fuel out of my glow plug hole when I crank it over. And they say in the manual, no more than a certain ammount of turns from factory for each needle.

But doing the pinch tune method(Which has worked really well for the low end needle), I'm way beyound what they suggest for the low end needle. And I am still puking out a bunch of smoke. So, I probably have to lean the high end quite a bit yet.

Edit-Yeah it was just too rich, plus my spurs slip clutch, was really slipping!!

ha ha! its just good info and easy to understand thats all! but your welcome anyway!:cheers:

Latest posts

Members online

Back