Savage XL - Suspension

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDA

Hello Everyone,
I've a little question about suspension.
Which lenght of suspension do you mount on your savage XL?
Also - it's better to have the front suspension shorter than the rear suspension; or it's better to have all the same?

Probably all the same is best since the front/rear towers/arms are the same geometry. Trucks that have different length shocks usually have different front/rear geometry as well that fits the shock.

Probably all the same is best since the front/rear towers/arms are the same geometry. Trucks that have different length shocks usually have different front/rear geometry as well that fits the shock.
Thanks for the info.
Last question, I've bought (to start) two GMADE PiggyBack 102mm
I saw alot of SavageXL with the bigbore suspensions - and they mount 4 suspension instead of 8...
What the best practices?

Thanks for the info.
Last question, I've bought (to start) two GMADE PiggyBack 102mm
I saw alot of SavageXL with the bigbore suspensions - and they mount 4 suspension instead of 8...
What the best practices?

102 mm shocks are going to be quite a bit short considering that stock Savage shocks are a bit over 150 mm long, some prefer to run 8 shocks some like the Big Bore 4 shock system, it is all in preference.... I myself am using the Integy Big Bores with all big bore internals inside them, they work very well for my bashing spot

102 mm shocks are going to be quite a bit short considering that stock Savage shocks are a bit over 150 mm long, some prefer to run 8 shocks some like the Big Bore 4 shock system, it is all in preference.... I myself am using the Integy Big Bores with all big bore internals inside them, they work very well for my bashing spot
Ah so you mount 4 on The internal part?
Aw... you say they’re too short? :(
I bought the longer they had... poop.
I’ll have to return them (if possible)...
I liked them because you can set the pressure of the oil :(

not sure what you mean by mounting on the internal part.... as for setting the pressure of the oil you also lost me there, varying the weight of oil front to rear is just how I compensated for the weight of the engine and tank in the rear of the chassis....

I filled my shocks with 40 wt oil in front and 50 wt in the rear I believe.... I did mount my shocks inside the arms instead of outside the arm and tower I prefer mounting them this was as it keeps them relatively safe inside the wheels a bit more than mounting them on the outside...
Like I said it is all in your preferences....

DSCN1789.jpg

DSCN1790.jpg

not sure what you mean by mounting on the internal part.... as for setting the pressure of the oil you also lost me there, varying the weight of oil front to rear is just how I compensated for the weight of the engine and tank in the rear of the chassis....

I filled my shocks with 40 wt oil in front and 50 wt in the rear I believe.... I did mount my shocks inside the arms instead of outside the arm and tower I prefer mounting them this was as it keeps them relatively safe inside the wheels a bit more than mounting them on the outside...
Like I said it is all in your preferences....

DSCN1789.jpg

DSCN1790.jpg
Yes sorry I have mispelled, I meant that you have mounted your suspension on the inside the arms :)
For the pressure of the Shocks I mean that the model I ordered is made this way:
gmade-GM21007-1.jpg

gmade-xd-piggyback-shock-103mm-2.jpg

But they had as longer shock only a 103mm ... which you say it's too short :(
Very unpleasant ... since I found them very nice looking and practical.. But when they arrive ... I will send them back :(
Because at the moment my truck is configured with shorter shocks on the front (made from a shop near me...but I think they don't know anything about RC... they blew up my clutch so.... -.-)
You advise me to buy the Integy Big Bores'

What some people did/have done is they go with the HPI plastic big bore shocks, then get the integy big bore housings for the HPI shocks. The Integy shocks themselves aren't that great, weak rod ends and shafts. The integy big bore housings are hard to find these days.

I find that the plastic big bores work fine using 4 of them with stiffer long springs. I like having 4 due to less maintenance of a 4 shock setup. I have 4 big bores on both my savage X and savage Flux HP. On my X and flux, I'm running Associated 40wt in all 4. On my X, I'm using HPI white long springs and stock short springs on all 4. On my flux I'm using white on the front, yellow in the rear and stock short springs on both.

I don't see anything by gmade that is long enough for a savage:
http://gmadekorea1.cafe24.com/?page_id=18966

As for how they are mounted, I have both on the outside of the arms. I'm not 100% sure, but trying to run the big bores on the inside may interfere with the front tie-rods and rear turnbuckles. I never tried installing them on the inside. Granted, on both of mine, I have the integy heavy duty rear axle carriers so I could do away with the rear turnbuckles, so I could run them on the inside on the rear without issue. Except on my X, I have a non-stock fuel tank that would run into the shock and since it is the X, it's short, so I'm not sure on the header clearance either. On the flux, I wouldn't have clearance issues on the rear, but looking at the photo's, it looks like the front tie rods would hit them when turning.
2018-0630-SavageFlux-TopBodyOff.jpg

Looking at photo's of my X, I'd have issues on both sides in the rear:
2016-0428-LRP-30 in savage.jpg

2016-0603-SavageX-OFNA19076Tank.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back