Savage XL Diffs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitro Newf

Manufacturer
I am clueless when it comes to the Savage trucks. I have one here that I am working on. The front Pinion is stripped. I have some parts that someone gave me from a SS kit, but they are different. I do know about the "Bullet Proof" diffs, but if I change the front one, do I also have to change the back? They have a different number of teeth on the gears.

Thats a great question.... I would have to say yes you need to. Only because if you had different gearing for say more on the back then the back would be spinning less(assuming I'm thinking this out correctly haha) than the front.

Thats a great question.... I would have to say yes you need to. Only because if you had different gearing for say more on the back then the back would be spinning less(assuming I'm thinking this out correctly haha) than the front.

Yes, I know that if you have different gearing you would have to change both. That was my question, are the bullet proof diffs a different ratio?

yeah the bullet proofs are a different ratio..

That's what I thought. I have solved the problem with this one. The ring gear is actually perfect. It was only the pinion that was damaged. It looks like one of the bearings came apart causing the diff to move and break pinion teeth. I just replaced the pinion with the same size and it will be good to go. I hate working on monster trucks. I got kind of spoiled running truggies. I can take out all 3 diffs and change oils in the time it takes to get a savage diff out.

when you get used to it, you'll find you can change 3 Savvy diffs in the time it takes to get your truggy back on the track... :)

That's what I thought. I have solved the problem with this one. The ring gear is actually perfect. It was only the pinion that was damaged. It looks like one of the bearings came apart causing the diff to move and break pinion teeth. I just replaced the pinion with the same size and it will be good to go. I hate working on monster trucks. I got kind of spoiled running truggies. I can take out all 3 diffs and change oils in the time it takes to get a savage diff out.

Yeah that is for sure, truggies are alot easier to work on.

The difference in ratio is small but you definitely want them to be the same. Plus the BP diffs are a very worthwhile upgrade. Haven't broken mine yet, even under the most extreme running conditions. The ones that came on my older stock XL, I broke two rear pinions on over time. I run big wheels/tires with low gearing which puts a lot of strain on the drivetrain as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Back