Savage XL 250cc mid tank mod - help pls

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitroSmokeNJ

It's been a good many years since i ran my XL and I'm wanting to get the dust off n run it again. I put it away full of fuel.... so i know i need a new tank and fuel lines, fully disassemble engine n clean it, and hope it comes back to life. Still has the 5.9 in it, but I'm ready to replace it with an LRP when it's time comes. It's all stock, except i replaced shocks with 4 big bores, and did the ofna T/B linkage mod.

I was never totally happy with the short run time and mid tank lean issues. Being how i have to replace the fuel tank/ lines, i figure it's a good time to do a mid tank with the ofna/hobao 250cc tank which i can get off ebay. The problem is, apparently over the last ten or so years, some companies closed up shop and I'm finding that parts and kits are much harder to get now than they were 10 years ago.
I am going for new extended LCG TVPs from either innovative RC or FLM. I'd prefer FLM only bc they are in the US. But the FLM servo plate is too short for the 250cc tank. So people were using platinum rc's kit i think it was #PRC125? However platinum RC is closed now unfortunately. I'm not opposed to getting the TVP from IRC but it looks like half the parts are out of stock. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe i will need a new drive shaft as well with the extended LCG TVPs. Neither IRC or FLM has the drive shafts in stock.
Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on what route i should take to get this done? Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

I just made an extension plate and bolted it right on the front end of the FLM servo plate. It ain’t fancy, but it got the job done and you don’t see it anyway.

Ok thanks for the reply. I think maybe I'll go the FLM route, with the TVPs and servo plate and mounts etc and get creative like you did. Just need to figure out where I'm going to get some material to make an extension....

Maybe Lowe’s or Home Depot. I expect you could find what you need via amazon also.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Back