Savage X4.6 tuning problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Todays test run was huge success!

In morning i deburr my clutch shoes with file and also cleaned shoes and clutch bell carefully (also cleaned whole engine from above) after that i put whole thing back in one piece.

I think that now my Savage is working almost as it should be.
Few things from today:

-finally find second gear on the run, after all, i had to loose over 1turn second gears tuning screw.
Did that sound normal? Only change is when i changed original 47/17 transmission to 48/16

-engine temperature is now stable 120-130C, its not vary so much in large scale, so i suppose there was air leak somewhere in carburetor and/or in exhaust gasket.

-Also measured clutch bells temperature, it was around 120-130C, does it sounds normal..?

-still cant do wheelies when start to accelerate on stand, even on tarmac, maybe fine adjustment to LSN helps with that?

And last of all, need somekind of master tip how to keep brakes in one piece? I had have always problem that screws of brakepads starts to loose of their own. Same thing happens today and finally i have no brakes at all so needed to stop test run.

Not sure about the clutch bell temp as I never measure mine.

I didn't realize you changed your gearing. Going from 17/47 to 48/16 is a significant change and would require adjusting the two speed a decent amount. You may want to go a bit further as you might be sticking in 1st for too long which causes your engine to run at high revs for more than it should. 250F-265F is still on the high side for temps unless it's 80F+ (26C) outside. Holding onto first gear too long could cause the higher temps.

Glad to hear your getting it to shift though.

Latest posts

Members online

Back