Savage engine seized

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djliveasy

Hi new to these bigger trucks, only bought a Savage a couple of weeks ago, not even sure what engine it is, it is a Savage X, anyway I bought it, sent It somewhere for tuning took it out today after 5 minutes of running it cut out, tried to start with the rota start and it's not turning either the engine or the rota, the starter is just jamming, any ideas, thanks in advance

Could be many things happening here, you say you "sent it out to be tuned" ? I would say it is needing serious teardown and inspection to see if something has broken inside the engine, do you have the manual for the truck??, also a few pictures of what you have may help in identification of engine and model....

Could be many things happening here, you say you "sent it out to be tuned" ? I would say it is needing serious teardown and inspection to see if something has broken inside the engine, do you have the manual for the truck??, also a few pictures of what you have may help in identification of engine and model....
Thanks for the reply, I'll take some detailed pics tomorrow. I sent it for tuning as it seemed to be reving very high and using a lot of fuel, it was running better today until it cut out,

IMAG3314.jpg IMAG3315.jpg IMAG3314.jpg IMAG3315.jpg IMAG3317.jpg IMAG3318.jpg IMAG3314.jpg
Hi I've taken some pics, hope you can help me with them,

Attachments

• IMAG3320.jpg
    IMAG3320.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG3321.jpg
    IMAG3321.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG3322.jpg
    IMAG3322.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG3323.jpg
    IMAG3323.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG3324.jpg
    IMAG3324.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 6
That is a V1 F4.6 engine.

engine_en.jpg

Depending on the radio equipment you have, this is likely the Savage you have:
http://hpiracing.world/en/kit/104266

Or this:
http://hpiracing.world/en/kit/868

Is it possible you are hydrolocked? Have you removed the glow plug and turned the truck upside down to see if a bit of fuel comes out?

engine_en.jpg

Or this:

Is it possible you are hydrolocked? Have you removed the glow plug and turned the truck upside down to see if a bit of fuel comes out?

engine_en.jpg

Or this:

I haven't tried that but I can, the radio looks like the second one, thanks

Can anyone tell me the exact model of car and engine, think the radio is a T3 if that makes a difference, thanks Scott

Can anyone tell me the exact model of car and engine, think the radio is a T3 if that makes a difference, thanks Scott

You seem to be asking questions that you already have answers to. You've already been told what the engine is....and you pointed out which radio you had, so you know what model you have.

You have an V1 F4.6
The TF-3 radio came with:
http://hpiracing.world/en/parts/868

Yer sorry my bad, hadn't really read it properly.
Still trying to find my feet round everything, thanks Scott

I don't mean to seem hostile. We have more than a few people who don't read posts and ask questions over and over. Tends to get on one's nerves.

Let us know if you need further help.

Thanks, I probably will need help once I find time to investigate the problem with mine after it cut out.
It's something I really want to get back into so I want to no the ins and outs of the car, especially the engine/ gearbox side of things.

Right only just had a chance to look at my savage, when I take the glow plug out and try to turn the engine while looking down the hole, the piston is not moving, I'm presuming this isn't good, so do I need to start a strip down of the engine, what could the out come be once I'm inside, is this a job for an amature, I am good with things like this and do have a lot of experience with full size cars.

Well I am sure once you remove and inspect the :ercm: you will find the trouble... it is not difficult to do and actually is a good experience to know the ins and outs of these little :ercm:

Post up some pics of your findings....

take off fuel lines, remove linkage, pull engine, remove backplate and head, inspect internals, I am sure you will see what is happening inside, most likely a broken rod is going to be the culprit.....

To be honest, to repair that :ercm: it will likely cost more than it is worth, a rod, piston, bearings and sleeve will be more than a new engine will cost, look into the LRP, Ofna, or many more of the available engines in the .28 to .32 line to just replace the whole thing..... you can get a complete unit ready to put in for 150 or so.....

To be honest, to repair that :ercm: it will likely cost more than it is worth, a rod, piston, bearings and sleeve will be more than a new engine will cost, look into the LRP, Ofna, or many more of the available engines in the .28 to .32 line to just replace the whole thing..... you can get a complete unit ready to put in for 150 or so.....
Do I have to stick with hpi engines or are those you mentioned none hpi, could you send me a link to an engine so I no what I'm looking for, while I'm doin it I'd like something that moves fast, thanks

That will drop right into the Savage easily, I recommend using an alloy clutch with something that powerful tho..... the HPI XL clutch is available for a pretty decent price, I recently got everything from the flywheel out for 17 bux us dollars......

That will drop right into the Savage easily, I recommend using an alloy clutch with something that powerful tho..... the HPI XL clutch is available for a pretty decent price, I recently got everything from the flywheel out for 17 bux us dollars......
Would my rota start fit in that one,

Not positive if your roto would work, but that seller does offer a power start for the engine, consider getting that one to make it work the best....

Which is best, am I along the right lines, are these mid range or high performance ones

Personally I'd consider that LRP high end (though it's cheaply priced for such a nice engine). The F4.6 in your other link more mid range.

So looking at all these lrp engines which is best to go for . 28 .30 .32
I've seen the
LRP32802 LRP Monster Z.28R Spec 3

"best" for you is not necessarily gonna be the same for someone else, all 3 are good quality :ercm: so which one you choose is totally up to you....

So bit the bullet today, went and bought a lrp .32, so got a lot to do tomorrow, 2 speed gearbox out and replace with 3 speed, add another servo to connect the linkage for reverse, add the reverse mixer, I've got a fail safe which not sure where that goes yet and fit the new engine, hopefully won't all be to difficult.

Latest posts

Members online

Back