Savage 4.6 x engine replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malardman31

So I know this is brought up all the time, I’ve searched for an LRP Z.28 and no luck, which has excellent reviews from this site.... so what’s the best option left? Right now it has the factory 4.6 roto start. Is there room for a pull starter? I’d like to stay under $225 I just ordered RRP slipper clutch setup w/ a 47/17 and to state the obvious, direct bolt in would be great with excellent reliability. Let’s see what you guys think.

So I know this is brought up all the time, I’ve searched for an LRP Z.28 and no luck, which has excellent reviews from this site.... so what’s the best option left? Right now it has the factory 4.6 roto start. Is there room for a pull starter? I’d like to stay under $225 I just ordered RRP slipper clutch setup w/ a 47/17 and to state the obvious, direct bolt in would be great with excellent reliability. Let’s see what you guys think.
Personally I think the HPI 4.6 V2 is a great engine .Found these with a few clicks on the keyboard-
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=HGPI+4.6+V2&_sacat=0

All you have to do is read through the hundreds of threads here pertaining to nitro engines and then make an educated selection as to what you want....
as for reliability and fit any of the modern big block nitro engines available from OS,OFNA,LRP,SH and a host of others will drop right into a Savage and use your existing Clutch,Flywheel and related parts....

Reliability and Lifetime are going to relate directly to how you treat your choice of engine, I have had most all the top rated engines in my time in the hobby and have engines with gallons of fuel on them and they still run strong.....

There aren't nearly as many good engines available these days as their used to be. With LRP gone, the OFNA/Picco 28 gone, that was a couple big hitters for years for a good MT big block. Haven't heard/seen much from RB Concept in a long time. I think there's a Novarossi big block with a pull start around.

In your hunt, if you end up looking at dynamite engines and intend on using the pull start, steer clear of their spin/combo start engines as the pull start part tends to break early in it's life. Otherwise, their engines aren't bad.

These have to be a couple screamers:
https://www.absolutehobbyz.com/Rex-...ngine-Turbo-Plug-Steel-Bearings_p_507703.html
https://www.absolutehobbyz.com/Nova...t-Competition-Engine-Turbo-Plug_p_487675.html

Take a look at HOBAO engines.
I do have 1 on my savage and got plenty of power.
Just got my f4.6 in the mail so will be changing it out

Right now Amainhobbies have the LRP 28 with a pull start for 150.00
I am not a fan of the spring and pin that fits loosely in the crank of the V2's. That said the 4.6 does scream.

Latest posts

Members online

Back