1. Ask questions. Share your HPI Savage knowledge. Register TODAY!

Welcome to HPISavageForum, a friendly forum to discuss the Savage RC Truck.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Savage 4.6 x engine replacement

Discussion in 'Nitro Engines' started by Malardman31, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Malardman31

Malardman31 New Member

So I know this is brought up all the time, I’ve searched for an LRP Z.28 and no luck, which has excellent reviews from this site.... so what’s the best option left? Right now it has the factory 4.6 roto start. Is there room for a pull starter? I’d like to stay under $225 I just ordered RRP slipper clutch setup w/ a 47/17 and to state the obvious, direct bolt in would be great with excellent reliability. Let’s see what you guys think.

2. ELWOOD

ELWOOD Well-Known Member

Personally I think the HPI 4.6 V2 is a great engine .Found these with a few clicks on the keyboard-
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=HGPI+4.6+V2&_sacat=0

3. Jam Racing 1

Jam Racing 1 NPTB Monitor, Master of the known universe....
    HPISF Staff

All you have to do is read through the hundreds of threads here pertaining to nitro engines and then make an educated selection as to what you want....
    as for reliability and fit any of the modern big block nitro engines available from OS,OFNA,LRP,SH and a host of others will drop right into a Savage and use your existing Clutch,Flywheel and related parts....

Reliability and Lifetime are going to relate directly to how you treat your choice of engine, I have had most all the top rated engines in my time in the hobby and have engines with gallons of fuel on them and they still run strong.....

4. Northernnightmare

Northernnightmare Active Member

I like the ke 25 engine, very reliable

5. Bboy86

Bboy86 Member

A very cheap engine too! A good engine to experiment with.

6. olds97_lss

olds97_lss Well-Known Member

There aren't nearly as many good engines available these days as their used to be. With LRP gone, the OFNA/Picco 28 gone, that was a couple big hitters for years for a good MT big block. Haven't heard/seen much from RB Concept in a long time. I think there's a Novarossi big block with a pull start around.

In your hunt, if you end up looking at dynamite engines and intend on using the pull start, steer clear of their spin/combo start engines as the pull start part tends to break early in it's life. Otherwise, their engines aren't bad.

These have to be a couple screamers:
    https://www.absolutehobbyz.com/Rex-Legend-28-Truggy-8-Port-Pull-Start-Engine-Turbo-Plug-Steel-Bearings_p_507703.html
    https://www.absolutehobbyz.com/Novarossi-Plus-28-7RT-7-Port-28-Rotostart-Start-Competition-Engine-Turbo-Plug_p_487675.html

7. Malardman31

Malardman31 New Member

Thanks for the info on those Novarossi’s

8. Nihal

Nihal Active Member

Take a look at HOBAO engines.
    I do have 1 on my savage and got plenty of power.
    Just got my f4.6 in the mail so will be changing it out