Savage 25 tear down newbie question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derekpike

So I have my 25 broken down with both TVPs off to do the brakes. (Don't judge it was just easier lol) As I'm looking at this thing in pieces I wonder to myself what else should I do as far as maintenance goes while this thing is tore down. Keep in mind I'm still pretty new to the hobby so I might ask for more information depth explanations and my free time doesn't exist. Also, this Savage wasn't in as good as shape as the seller said it was. I have done nothing to the differentials and thought that would probably be something worth while to look at. I know it's still early to say this, but I'll probably start my winter tear down now so it's done by spring. I wish I was kidding with that statement. My free time this fall/winter will be represented by a negative number. I'm sure I'm forgetting to ask something. I'll think of it later and comment.

Make sure all the bearings are in good shape, and replace if necessary.
Upgrade the steeringassembly to bearings,
Do you have an upgraded steering servo?
Throttle mod.

What brakes are you going to install? Dual red fibers are the best imo..

I know how some bearings just fall apart in your hands. Those are obviously bad. Any other way to determine good or bad @Caretaker109 ? I think they sell whole bearings kits?

I'm not familiar with the throttle mod or the steering assembly upgrade you suggested.

I have a Traxxas 2075 steering servo. Might not be the correct model number, but it is Traxxas. So not sure if that's an upgrade or not lol. I know it's not the stock servo.

Yes, going from a single disc that is factory to the dual red fiber.

Full bearing set is best way to make sure you are ok to go.

The steering assembly has 2 plastic bushings, upgrading to bearings will improve steering.

Throttle mod, new linkage from servo. Do a search on Google. Savage ofna Throttle mod.

A steering servo with minimum of 15kg will do fine. Or 300oz/in iirc

If your doing bearings all round means your diffs will have to be torn down as well. Leaving the door open for diff upgrades. But at minimal you will need new diff gaskets, clean all the old grease out of them. And get some diff fluid for them. I use 10,000 some guys go with 100,000+ weight. The heavier you go the more it will act like a posi spool. Check all teeth on ring and pinion, as well as internal spider gears. When you re-assemble read the thread on shimming diffs, although I just re-built a set of 25 diffs in 25 housings and found they required next to no shimming compared to my x-housings.

Also if your going to have the entire truck stripped down, good idea to invest in a hex screw set. Will make tear-downs and repairs way quicker and way more pain free in the future. No more stupid stripped Phillips heads

Full bearing set is best way to make sure you are ok to go.

The steering assembly has 2 plastic bushings, upgrading to bearings will improve steering.

Throttle mod, new linkage from servo. Do a search on Google. Savage ofna Throttle mod.

A steering servo with minimum of 15kg will do fine. Or 300oz/in iirc

I'll look at replacing the bushings with bearings when I have time. I think this references the throttle mod.

https://www.hpisavageforum.com/threads/hirisks-ofna-linkage-set-up-with-pics-and-details.4144/

Also if your going to have the entire truck stripped down, good idea to invest in a hex screw set. Will make tear-downs and repairs way quicker and way more pain free in the future. No more stupid stripped Phillips heads

I figured I should look at the diffs while I was in there. Thanks for the tip. Just got my screw set from Tony's yesterday. Any ballpark idea what diff upgrades would cost?

Last edited:
I figured I should look at the diffs while I was in there. Thanks for the tip. Just got my screw set from Tony's yesterday. Any ballpark idea what upgrades would cost?
All depends how far you want to go with it. Alloy cups, around $12 a piece. machined bullet proof ring and pinion, $50 per side. even super heavy duty drive cups and dog bones-$100 for a set. The SHD drive cups and bones are a pricy set up but makes your drive train rock solid, I haven't bent a shaft yet since installing them. Those prices are CAN $$ too so you can prob get them cheaper if your in the US.

All depends how far you want to go with it. Alloy cups, around $12 a piece. machined bullet proof ring and pinion, $50 per side. even super heavy duty drive cups and dog bones-$100 for a set. The SHD drive cups and bones are a pricy set up but makes your drive train rock solid, I haven't bent a shaft yet since installing them. Those prices are CAN $$ too so you can prob get them cheaper if your in the US.

Thanks. The two areas I don't really understand are diffs and tires. Tires are confusing and I haven't had to do any different work yet. I'll probably go bullet proof and super heavy duty because I'm a fan of only fixing things once if at all possible. I am in the states BTW.

Thanks. The two areas I don't really understand are diffs and tires. Tires are confusing and I haven't had to do any different work yet. I'll probably go bullet proof and super heavy duty because I'm a fan of only fixing things once if at all possible. I am in the states BTW.
If your going to SHD cups and bones you need to do it while building your diffs. The cups get assemlbled with pins right into the diff cups.
Once you take apart and see how they work it's a piece of cake, keep your manual handy. Oh yea. Replace o-rings while your in there too!

Yeah planned on doing everything all at once. Like I said I'll probably start my winter build now so it's done by spring. That and I don't currently have $300 ish to just throw at this today. I'll probably buy stuff a little at a time.

I'm not 100% sure if 25 diff housing will fit SHD cups. I only have them on my x. But they look like they should. X-diff housings are a nice upgrade also, provides easy access for repairs. $$$ Sorry $$$$

I'm not 100% sure if 25 diff housing will fit SHD cups. I only have them on my x. But they look like they should. X-diff housings are a nice upgrade also, provides easy access for repairs. $$$ Sorry $$$$

I'd rather spend it now than nickel and dimed and a lot of down time.

Are there SHD for the (poor description ahead) dogbones that go from front to back? And another dumb question as I don't have the truck in front of me to look at, but are there cups that need replaced for the "front to back" dogbones? I think what I'm describing is the ones that go from the tranny to the front and rear diffs. I could be way off base though.

Are there SHD for the (poor description ahead) dogbones that go from front to back? And another dumb question as I don't have the truck in front of me to look at, but are there cups that need replaced for the "front to back" dogbones? I think what I'm describing is the ones that go from the tranny to the front and rear diffs. I could be way off base though.
No it's a set of four bones and 8 cups going from diffs to wheels.

I've never bent or broke a center drive shaft, worn out some cups but never had problems with the shafts

Latest posts

Members online

Back