Savage 21 to XL Conversion Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ulua

I will be upgrading my savage 21 to an XL slowly. Just ordered my first few parts from ebay.

HPI 86054 Dogbone 8x142mm Black Savage XL
XL SAVAGE MOTOR ENGINE PLATE MOUNT HPI K5.9 X
HPI SAVAGE XL EXTENDED CHASSIS, 3 mm, TVP'S

Will be following this. I just got a Savage 25 and want to convert to an X and want to see all the parts you need to do it.

]-[0pa]0ng;189110 said:
good to hear. Show pics as your building the truck

I'll post some pics once I start.

Jay,

Welcome to hpisfgreen, and congrats on getting a 25, this should be a fun project. Hope I don't screw it up LOL

i wouldnt do the 5.9.. never had one myself but heard they arent that great ... and for same price or even cheaper yu can get a nice engine.. i am a lrp person myself love them for a non modded engine they are really strong n high rpm range,,, i run the lrp sprc3 z 28.. or the 30.. but alot of ppl here run the picco 28's..
heres the lrps.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=ASCG2810&P=K
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVPROFIL=++&FVSEARCH=<b>lrp</b>+z.28r+spec+3
both user friendly motors with great power n speed ... maybe someone else will give you a few motor choices as well... all a personal choice and your descision in the end ..lol

I would go with the LRP .28 or Picco .28

I personally had the LRP and i loved it! You just need to change the rear gasket on the exhaust port to get a good deal on the header.

LRP will work day in and day out with out giving you any problems.

Ok lets try this again, now i'm paranoid about posting. last time I posted my posts in the wrong thread. :bad pc:

Ok, my parts have been coming in slowly.
Here is what I ordered
HPI 3 Speed Transmission
HPI Savage XL Air Filter/Cleaner 2 Stage
Heavy Duty Axel
Savage XL Brake Kit Dual Disc HPI X SS
Savage XL Heavy Duty Outer Dog bones
Savage XL A Arms
Savage XL Aluminum Clutch Set, 3 shoe, fly wheel
Savage XL Battery Box Servo Trax
Savage Flux BB Shocks
Savage Flux Shock towers
Ofna Servo Horn, Heavy Duty
Ofna Linkage Slide
Ofan Servo Throttle/Brake Linkage Kit
HPI Savage XL Dog bone 8x142mm
Savage XL Motor mount, plate
Savage XL Extended Chassis 3mm
LRP VTEC .28 Spec 3 engine
Tiger Drive Starter Probe Shaft
Tiger Drive Roto Start
BP Diffs

Still need, any suggestions
Tx/Rx
throttle/brake and steering Servos
Tuned pipe

Ok Here are som pics.

This is my Revo 3.3 got for Xmas, just broke it in over the weekend

This is my Savage 21, that is now being converted to an XL
P1030483.jpg

Here are some of the parts that I received
P1030493-Copy.jpg

P1030492.jpg

P1030491.jpg

P1030490-Copy.jpg

P1030489.jpg

P1030496.jpg

P1030494.jpg

P1030498-Copy.jpg

P1030497.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
whats up nice pics that revo looks bad a.. my first truck a revo 2.5 still got it now with a 3.3 engine in it check out ths racing for an exhaust got it on my trucks works great.The savage is looking good i put my xl next to my 25 and my revo big difrence enjoy your trucks lou.

thanks, is there a roto start for the lrp?

There is a roto start adaptor for the LRP if you want to add roto to it. I didn't add one to mine mostly due to the fact that the LRP usually starts with in the 2nd pull even if its not pre heated and having a pull start means that you don't need to carry a roto start with you to where ever you bash. Plus the roto start is brutal on the one way bearing.

I would go with the OFNA 086 pipe.. You can usually find them on ebay for about 40 bucks w/header.. Are you using a diggy or fm/am for a remote? This will help for suggestions for your servos..

whats up nice pics that revo looks bad a.. my first truck a revo 2.5 still got it now with a 3.3 engine in it check out ths racing for an exhaust got it on my trucks works great.The savage is looking good i put my xl next to my 25 and my revo big difrence enjoy your trucks lou.
Thanks man, I'll check out those exhausts.

There is a roto start adaptor for the LRP if you want to add roto to it. I didn't add one to mine mostly due to the fact that the LRP usually starts with in the 2nd pull even if its not pre heated and having a pull start means that you don't need to carry a roto start with you to where ever you bash. Plus the roto start is brutal on the one way bearing.
Thanks for the info, roto start already on the way. Max gave me the link to the part. Will see how it goes with out the roto start first. as Max said to break in the engine before installing it. so if it is easy to start may just use the pull start till the roto is needed.

I would go with the OFNA 086 pipe.. You can usually find them on ebay for about 40 bucks w/header.. Are you using a diggy or fm/am for a remote? This will help for suggestions for your servos..

Thanks, I will check EBay for the Ofna pipe, as for my remote I have the original remote that came with my Savy21, but not going to use it. I found a basic 2.4GHz Futaba 3ch at my LHS, not sure what model it was though. I have to find out.

thanks
ulua

Have a question, how is the XL wheel base wider then the Savage X/SS? When I look up the A arm part they are both the same. Is it wider due to wider wheels?.

Thanks,
ulua

the a arms are the same what makes it wider are the extended axles. I forgot to mention the ths exhaust goes right in place of the stock exhaust lou

Got more parts in

P1030499.jpg
[/IMG]
P1030500.jpg
[/IMG]
P1030501.jpg
[/IMG]
P1030502.jpg
[/IMG]
P1030503.jpg
[/IMG]
P1030510.jpg
[/IMG]
P1030511.jpg
[/IMG]
Are the antenna tubes usually sold separately?
and any recommendations on servos for throttle/brake and steering?

Thanks
ulua

Its coming along, yeah.

Now if only someone could show him how to use the camera.

I need some help with the break install.
according to the XL manual I should only be using 4 washers 2 on each screw one in front and one in back. Ok I have 2 extra silver washers I assume they are spares for the break screws. I also have two bigger black washers which I have no clue where they go as the XL manual does not show these washers on the break install. When I took the parts out to the bag there was one black washer and one silver washer in the drive cup, but not sure if that is where they go as they could have fell in there during packing. I bought this break set on ebay, it's new and was taken off of an XL so it was shipped in a zipploc bag with no instructions.

thanks ulua

breaks.jpg
[/IMG]

Members online

Back