Running on 3s for Bashing. Whats the best gear setup for it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agold2009

Running my Savage XS for Bashing in dirt, grass and street.
I don't care for maximum top speeds and care more to keep the engine and ESC running at decent temps.

With that being said, is the recommended HPI parts for 3S the best route to go or should I change it up?

Should I stay with the stock 28t pinion and 56t or go to a 24tooth pinion and 60 tooth idler? Or somewhere between?

Thanks

Question.....what are the benefits of 3S for bashing?? If you don't need top speed.....and I dunno if more acceleration is useful as mine at least always flips at full throttle on 2S....

Question.....what are the benefits of 3S for bashing?? If you don't need top speed.....and I dunno if more acceleration is useful as mine at least always flips at full throttle on 2S....
There are none that I know of, unless you like excessive driveline wear and shortened life on electronics. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of people that have it and have a lot of fun with it, but personally I don't see any need for it.

Well I wasn't criticising the idea, I'm just wondering 1. How the hell you control it, and 2. If you don't need more speed what do you need it for?? Just interested.

Honestly , I've never driven my truck with a 2s. Yes it fun and stupid fast. But if you look closely at my truck 90% of the upgrades I've done were out of necessity, meaning I broke a poop ton of parts. Without the motor swap I'm into mine for at LEAST a thousand, probably more. I broke down and ordered 2 gens ace 7000mah 2s LiPo. (Phenomenal deal on fleabay) you can gear the truck and and get the same results on 2s (so I've heard) without draining the bank. Don't get me wrong I love buying parts and installing them, but there comes a point where you can't logically go any further with upgrades and still bash the hell out of your truck. I've made my xs to where i like it and doesn't break every time I run it. If I can do that on 3s, I'd like to think I can certainly do it 2s.

Do those 2S 7000's fit without any modification? I just got some of their 2s 5000's

Out of interest, would 3S in the bashing context give you more power to do backflips without having to go full throttle (and thus a bit more control having the option to flip harder if needed)??

Out of interest, would 3S in the bashing context give you more power to do backflips without having to go full throttle (and thus a bit more control having the option to flip harder if needed)??

Kinda, on 3S you can very easily flip it, and even half throttle you can pop a wheelie. WHen I am doing speed runs I can never just go full throttle, literally need to feather it all the way to max throttle

I have a slightly upgraded power system in mine, and have no problems doing backflips on 2s. I haven't pulled the trigger on 3s yet because its already insanely fast and I can't ever keep the front wheels on the ground.

The gear swap is essential. You will break the esc if you don't go to the 24 & 60. 3s is ridiculous in every way, not just flips. And yes, you need to feather the throttle if you don't have the esc setup box. Yes the 7000 battery fits, but I had to get 90 degree banana plugs in order for it to work. It's a tight fit. I started out with 3s, broke everything, then upgraded everything and now I'm running 2s w 5700kv & emh3s. Phenomenal setup. Still working out the bugs, but will ready some time this week

The gear swap is essential. You will break the esc if you don't go to the 24 & 60. 3s is ridiculous in every way, not just flips. And yes, you need to feather the throttle if you don't have the esc setup box. Yes the 7000 battery fits, but I had to get 90 degree banana plugs in order for it to work. It's a tight fit. I started out with 3s, broke everything, then upgraded everything and now I'm running 2s w 5700kv & emh3s. Phenomenal setup. Still working out the bugs, but will ready some time this week

Which setup box did you use, or is that for the replacement one you put on with the 5700? I can't remember the model of mine, but the one that comes with the raptor .

Which setup box did you use, or is that for the replacement one you put on with the 5700? I can't remember the model of mine, but the one that comes with the raptor .

The setup box is usable with most if not all of hpi flux esc. I don't have it. I think it's octagonal in shape. If you haven't already done an engine swap, you'd have the 4000kv motor. And emh3s esc is far better than the vapor pro.

The setup box is usable with most if not all of hpi flux esc. I don't have it. I think it's octagonal in shape. If you haven't already done an engine swap, you'd have the 4000kv motor. And emh3s esc is far better than the vapor pro.
Yeah I'm still 100% stock. I have the 4000kv and the esc model you listed. I tried the castle link (I already know ). because the that's what my manual said I needed for that esc. I then did some research into that esc and it seemed it was a rebranded hobbywing. So I bought the hobbywing multifunction lcd box. I couldn't get that to work either so I said screw it. Probably end user error though. New to RC and even newer to electric .

The castle link didn't work? Which esc do you have? The emh3s? Or vapor pro? I've never used one. The emh3s is programable with out the box. Look online for the manual. So that must be the hobby wing. I'm pretty sure the vapor pro is castle. I don't know anything for sure though. Lol

The castle link didn't work? Which esc do you have? The emh3s? Or vapor pro? I've never used one. The emh3s is programable with out the box. Look online for the manual. So that must be the hobby wing. I'm pretty sure the vapor pro is castle. I don't know anything for sure though. Lol

Yeah I don't have the vapor pro, I have the emh3s. I'll try to look for that manual . Thanks. I'm pretty sure the vapor pro is Castle as well. That's why my manual said to use that because it wasn't updated for the emh3s .

Yeah I don't have the vapor pro, I have the emh3s. I'll try to look for that manual . Thanks. I'm pretty sure the vapor pro is Castle as well. That's why my manual said to use that because it wasn't updated for the emh3s .

Ok yeah, emh3s is the updated version. It is waaayyyy better than the vapor pro. I just Google search emh3s manual. Found everything you need. It's a little confusing at first but after a few tris I was able to get it working.

Ok yeah, emh3s is the updated version. It is waaayyyy better than the vapor pro. I just Google search emh3s manual. Found everything you need. It's a little confusing at first but after a few tris I was able to get it working.
Yeah I think I tried it , got frustrated and just forgot about it .

Yeah I think I tried it , got frustrated and just forgot about it .
Yeah, it confused the hell out of me for about 30 min. I just kept on pushing thru. So far so good. The results are pretty awesome. Totally changed the driving characteristics

Oh, and it'll help with slipper clutches because of the adjustments that are able to be made. I'd recommend getting a box to everyone, or at least programming their esc manually. (If possible)

I used a castle link (I have a sidewinder 3) and turned the punch control down and advanced the timing just slightly. I can do standing backflips all day long, and it doesn't get very hot at all. I'm really considering a 5700kv upgrade for mine too.

I'll see if I can give it another try here soon then. I was mainly wanting to make sure my ESC was set to cut off when my LiPo was getting low as I'm not sure what most of the other settings do.

So don't run on 3s is my lesson learned! I chewed up the slipper clutch after like 10 total runs on this truck. I've switched to 2S now, but THERE IS NO stock of slipper clutches ANYWHERE!! So frustrating with the HPI issues. Anyone have an additional slipper clutch they wouldn't mine selling me? I'm in the USA would much appreciate it if you guys have one laying around and want to sell it :)

So don't run on 3s is my lesson learned! I chewed up the slipper clutch after like 10 total runs on this truck. I've switched to 2S now, but THERE IS NO stock of slipper clutches ANYWHERE!! So frustrating with the HPI issues. Anyone have an additional slipper clutch they wouldn't mine selling me? I'm in the USA would much appreciate it if you guys have one laying around and want to sell it :)
I got some from an eBay seller in the UK a few months ago. You might want to try there.

Do you have an extra one you want to sell? :) I looked and none on eBay looks like you snatched up the last ones lol

turned the punch control down and advanced the timing just slightly
I have a stock XS Raptor, so EMH 3S ESC and MMH 4000kv engine. I changed punch from setting 5 to 9 to get it to do standing backflips, but still no effect. I know what people say about stock tires, but the HPI guy in the instruction video also uses them. And I like driving with a little drifting. Is changing timing going to help for standing backflips? Please share experience to improve timing.

I have a stock XS Raptor, so EMH 3S ESC and MMH 4000kv engine. I changed punch from setting 5 to 9 to get it to do standing backflips, but still no effect. I know what people say about stock tires, but the HPI guy in the instruction video also uses them. And I like driving with a little drifting. Is changing timing going to help for standing backflips? Please share experience to improve timing.
I have a completely different setup with a castle sidewinder 3 and neucastle 3800kv. The only tip I can give is make sure your battery has at least a 35-50c discharge rate on it and play around with it. You don't want to advance timing a lot all at once or you'll cook your ESC. Have fun!

Latest posts

Members online

Back