Running 8S in HPI Savage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavageXL85

Has anyone ran 8s on their Savage??? I currently have a hobbystar 4092 1480kv

I was thinking that it will give me better top end with 1/5 scale and I bought a slipperential to offset the torque/power delivery

Or should I just go 6s?

I run 4s for just mucking around and 6s for serious runs.... in theory if 8s are the same additional power it would be 200% insane even in 1/5th...

Std they are 2200kv motor and whilst capable of running 6s a lot of the running gear can suffer

Having said that, my rc boats were 1m and 1.5m and they were about 3kw and 6kw maxxed out 26cc and 54cc 2 strokes....topping out around 120kms on water......so you can never have too much.

Lots of maths to do to check amps/volts/kv etc

Decided to go with 6s ...cheaper and prob won't break as many things maybe one 1 day

yeah it would be totally insane....
I'm always thinking of what I can frankenstein together for serious fun.
I have ny mind set on an rc stroller.....reckon it would cause havoc ???

Not sure the center axles can take it. Since HPI didn't really beef those up at all, I could see 8S wearing out the cups really fast or just twisting the rear one into a pretzel if your not really careful.

I ran 4S in mine for the past year or so, then just recently started running 6S in it. Had overheating issues with the esc, so had to gear down from stock in my flux hp. I'm running a MMX/2200kv in it. Now with 48/16 and 3.8" trenchers on it.

Sounds like nice setup

I am now running hardened diffs, bevel gears, axle/drive caps and 6mm wheel driveshafts

I think I'm running 45 main but 25 pinion so have ordered 17-21 set.

How do you find 3.8 tyres? I'm running 3.4 but 3.8 seemed a bit overkill even for me...

3.8's are fairly standard these days. The old MT tire was 3.2". I think 40 series are 3.8", I might be wrong on that. Usually I run a set of traxxas 3.8" t-maxx tires but I tried a set of trenchers and really liked them as they added more cushion for landings while still having enough surface area to hold up well when running on concrete and they get decent grip in dirt/gravel when I ran at a bmx track. The traxxas tires were awful at the limestone bmx track.

2018-0630-SavageFlux-SideBodyOn.jpg

I have the tires wrapped with kevlar string now like these:
2019-0328-ProlineTrencher3.8-KevlarLine.jpg

When I ran 4S, I didn't wrap them, but about half way through my first pack on 6S, one blew off the rim in the front. I have the same on my outcast, also wrapped as I run 6S in it as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Back