Reverse gear option, Savage X

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cluster One

Is anyone familiar with the reverse module option for Savage X. I see a module w/mixer p/n 87039 , for savage X. Does this require an additional servo like it does for the Savage 2.5? or is it an electronic switching device.
As I see the new truck is a 2- channel an I am confused about how this would work.
:confused:

Yes you will need another servo, no the 2 channel won't work you will need a 3 channel setup to make the reverse complete. You could get a stock savage 25 radio setup or get a better aftermarket setup and use it, but it will have to be a 3 channel radio system.

:( Wow, I don't understand why HPI would make someone do that just to have a reverse gear. Has anyone out there done this ?, let me know.
Thanks for the reply.

they do it to make money, they're not a 'non-profit' organisation or a charity!

Plus being able to 'hop up' your car is a great fun, how dull would it be if everything was there ready to go and you couldn't upgrade things?
It also allows you to use a controller that suits you, i hate the 'gun' style controller, i prefer sticks.

You can buy a 3 channel transmitter and reciever from you LHS or secondhand from someone - try ebay maybe, it doesn't have to be the HPI one. I use a Sanwa.

I put the reverse module in my k4.6, its come in handy a few times. But i try not to get in to a position where i have to use it. :)

Thank you for the economics lesson. I would have never figured that out :rolleyes:
My point is the reverse gear should be a simple option or hop up. Like it is with the savage 2.5 . I like doing upgrades to the truck, but to trash the transmitter and receiver right from the start seems ridiculus if all I want is to go into reverse. c'mon.
I prefer wheel type controller for ground vehicles and stick for aircraft.
We all have our prefrences, it's not my point.
Other RC manufactures have an electronic shifting into reverse.
Which makes me think that maybe it doesnt have to be so excessive to get it to go into reverse .
I guess I might need more info on p/n 87039 reverse module with mixer specific to Savage X. Which is different than the reverse module p/n 87032 originally for the savage 2.5 and is a mechanical device.:D

if you get the reverse mixer for the savage x you will not have to change your radio it will work with it. The mixer will let you use reverse with just your 2 chanel radio.

My honest opion I wouldn't use the mixer, I would opt for a 3 channel radio, you can any stock savvy radio both trans, and rec on ebay for little to nothing. My mini t is a 2channel with a mixer and I hate it, how would a nitro use a mixer, to come to full stop, it puts itself in reverse then throttles up, to em is too much junk on the savvy, but thats opion.

My apologies cluster I didn't mean to come across as patronising as i did.

I totally understand your point but its the same as HiFi Equpiment - you can buy an all in one Hifi or put together a better quality system with seperates.

Just think of your Savage as a Denon HiFi made up of seperates compared to a lesser performing Nikko electric truck that cost £20 ($35) :D

Thanks Sleeper,
I appreciate the reply. Sorry I fired back the way I did. I was getting a little frustrated because HPI did not give enough details about the reverse gear on the website (that I could find) how the mixer works and evertime I think of calling them to find out, they were closed. I was trying to find out for a friend of mine who wants to buy Savage X .
I have installed the reverse module for my Savage 2.5 and was familiar with it.
Now for the Savage X, it is different.
Jdogg you are correct.:) I called HPI today and the reverse module part number 87039 is specific to the Savage X . You would use the 2 channel radio and this module will put the truck into reverse after it comes to a complete stop. (in forward gear, apply brake, comes to stop,hold the trigger and in a few seconds will go into reverse)
Good enough for me. Might save me from walking over to it after I jam it under a fence :eek:
By the way Sleeper, Your SS 4.6 truck looks sweet. I would like to build my next truck from that kit as well. I totally understand what you mean about putting together a high quailty system with seperates.:D

Thanks for the compliment on my Savvy Cluster. have you gaot a pic of yours to put up?

I didn't realsie the X had a different reverse system, i'll learn to bite my tongue and keep quiet one day! :)

Hahaha, :) nah, it's cool.
I would put up a pic of my Savvy, but I'm afraid it would look like every one elses when they first got it.:D . I could probably use a file photo used on the HPI web site and say it was mine :D
I haven't done anything to it other than reverse mod and upgraded the brake. I am thinking of upgrading to a 3 speed trans. Now that my friend is most likely going to buy the X. I gotta hop it up my savvy a little. Not sure what else I can do without going to the extreme.

I would prefer a programmable radio,I have one now for about a year and a half, a graupner xs 6 race,and when you`re owning more than one car it`s the ideal choice.
The xs 6 has 10 memories to store every cars individual setup and it is a quartzless type so I don`t have to change crystals all the time.
I only have to set the radio`s frequency in the computer and then turn two screws on the receiver and that`s it!
it also has a 3rd channel but I haven`t got a reverse module yet.
only problem is that when I`go at full throttle there is a possibility that if I touch the 3rd channel switch it will instantly shift in reverse(dangerous!).
This is not a problem with the 2 channel radio with a mixer cause it always has to fully stop before switching in reverse.

Yeah, that programmable radio is the way to go if you have several vehicles
no doubt. Sounds good trashard
The savage 25 has that reverse on the transmitter (3 channel) as a switch and have to be at a complete stop too.:D

I have a savage x and I bought the reverse module with the mixer. It worked the first time I hit the on switch and set it. The next time I turned the radio equipment on, it had some weird interference and the servos are now jerking back and forth really fast when it is in reverse. That is when it stays in reverse. It usually shifts into reverse and then before I can use it, it shifts into forward. I ended up calling HPI and sending it back and they are in the process of sending me a new one. I will see how that one works. But, then again, my friend has one with the mixer and his works great. Maybe I just got a bad mixer. I guess I will find out when I get the new one. I might end up just getting a 3 channel radio and going that route.:nutshot:

Interesting. If you decide to replace the mixer, let me know how it works out.
:eyecrazy:

HI I WOULD STICK WITH THE 2 CHANNEL TRANNY AND GET THE MIXER IF YOU GO FOR A 3 CHENNEL TRANNY YOU WILL STILL NEED THE THIRD SERVO BUT IF YOU PRESS THE THIRD CHANNEL BY MISTAKE REVERSE WILL ENGAGE EVEN IF YOU ARE FLAT OUT FORWARD AS YOU CAN IMAGINE YOUR GEARBOX WOULD SELF DESTRUCT. IF YOU USE A MIXER IT WORKS BY WHEN YOU BRAKE TO STOP HOLD THE CONTROL IN BRAKE FOR A SECOND OR TWO IT WILL THEN SHIFT INTO REVERSE SO YOU CAN NOT PUT IT IN REVERSE BY ACCIDENT HOPE THIS HELPS
REGARDS
CHRIS
:DJjam:

lol...I still have my reverse gearbox sitting on the shelf...In fact, I just pulled it out so I can find a way to mod my N02 kit to be completely hands free...lol...

I had the same problem with my X. My best bud has had a 25 for a couple o years and when i opened up the box of my x and seen the 2 channel i was pissed. Really didnt like the prospect of holding the break to go into rev so i bought a used Traxxis 3 chan radio and rec. Radio worked fine with the Savvy. Had an old servo from the RS4 dayz. Bought the rev modual and i was off.Only draw back is that the Traxxi controller is not duel rate.

I got my mixer back the other day and hooked it up. Everything works great. It turns out it was a bad mixer. HPI was great. They replaced it without question. They have great customer service.

I tried installing my reverse module.Had problem getting brake hub off.Seems hub is jammed against screw shaft.
Stripped head trying to remove.Any one else have this problem.
Or just my luck,now need to buy new cup joint and screw.
Savage X down until I get new parts.

Hey, Cluster One. I'm really in your camp about this Bu!!sh!t HPI pulls in keeping us hostage over original parts, replacement parts, those MUST HAVE parts, those MUST HAVE parts that you can't replace without having to buy extra parts you don't need, upgrade parts that downgrade your Visa Card, parts you want HPI to incorporate but they refuse to provide, parts that never should have made it to the parts list, parts that deliberately interfere with the posibillity of a home remedy modification, parts that deliberately interfere with any modification, parts designed to interfere with all modifications, parts that send you your local hobby store, parts that send you BACK to your local hobby store. parts that KEEP you at the local hobby store, parts that keep you awake at night, Parts that wake you in the middle of the night, parts that hurt you trying to get to other parts, parts that irritate you, parts that irritate you next to parts that burn you, parts that get burnt, parts that get burnt by accident, parts that get burnt on purpose, ect, ect, ect.......And don't eeevennnn get started on after-market upgrade parts. I guess what I'm trying to say Cluster One, as you can most likely gather, I know the frustration your experiencing with your TX w/2 channels, and then some. But, Hey...You've found the right place to get some feedback and find out what others think of your conserns. I've come to understand that owning a Savage is a pain you love(and afford). It appears that your a new member here and wecome to you. If I can put in my two cents about the TX issue, I can say that my friend has the Savage 25 Limited RTR he got at least two years ago and it came with a TX that's reffered to as a two channel but he can shift his reverse modual with it on an AUX function which acts like a third channel and doesn't use the throttle to activate it. It's a little blip switch that's well out of the way of an accidental shift into reverse while driving forward. Be sure that your TX doesn't have this capabillity before you go and replace it. It would be totally laime if HPI donwgraded this TX function due to thier upgraded X tranny. I don't know enough about the newer X ver.tranny or how HPI's reverse feature is being implemented to comment about it. I do have my own 4.6 SS kit ver.of the Savage which didn't include any RX, TX,or servo's with it. I preffered this due to the fact that I have numerous cars and trucks that I can program into the memory of a three channel TX/RX system (JR XS3 Pro) I bought seperately to use for other cars and trucks I have. Along with the deversity of having the AM and FM TX abbillity, it provides a wealth of additional functions and perameters that come in handy as you gain more knowledge in setting up your truck's drivabillity. No crystals are needed here. If you get another truck/car, you'll be able to choose kit versions that generally have more upgraded parts and hopups for the simple fact that the manufacture did'nt have to include a radio system with it. This allows you to avoid RTR's all together. Wecome once again, ClusterOne. And good luck with your radio. gear.

Doobeewaa this is you buddy and my controller is a three channel radia ive got the HPI TF-4digital proportional controller its a 3 channle that little switch on the gripper handle is the foward and reverse swiich.

Correction: appears that I may have spoke too soon in regards to my buds radio type. He has just informed me that it's a three channel rather than a two. My appologies to you if this caused any confusion. All the same, how laime (or sould I say greedy) HPI has to be, by not giving you a three channel TX with your truck!.....Peace Out.

hello everyone I'm new to this forum but a veteran to others i seen u guys are talking about the savage x reverse system i have one and its for sale: its good and all but due to me not having a hump battery back I'm selling it and money issues

We don't sale stuff , and especially using EBAY in these type forums. Sale Forum and Auction Forum plus there is a X amount of post we ask for prior to selling anything. Those forums have a few simple rules to adhere to, check them out.

Site Owner

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Back