Removing purple anodizing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tractorman

Hey everyone!! I've read a few posts and seen some pictures of guys that removed the purple anodizing off the stock parts and thinking of doing that myself. What I was wondering was will it affect the strength of the part? I was also thinking of doing my cooling head as well but I was wondering if it will affect the cooling capabilities of the head by removing the purple? I can't think of any reason why it would. Has anyone else done this?

I did it with my hpi mt a couple years back did not do anything to the alum but take the color off ,one thing i did do was polish all the parts and it look real good i might be polishing my tvp's

IF you remove the purple ( I use easy off oven cleaner) . it will leave the metal kinda a milky white color. Get some mothers polish and they will look like a mirror

You will no .. ITS GOTTA BE EASY OFF .. only like 3 to 5 min

Last edited by a moderator:
IF you remove the purple ( I use easy off oven cleaner) . it will leave the metal kinda a milky white color. Get some mothers polish and they will look like a mirror

Which of the Mother's products, I haven't used it in a long time, imo it is the best, but I just looked at the site and they have so many products now.
http://www.mothers.com/products/productcatalog/2007_Mothers_Catalog.pdf

Just wondering what to use, I may remove the anadiozing off of mine,

thanks for the info

Oh I don't know if this is any different but I found this http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/articles/polishing/ a while ago, I also read that lye (i guess that is what is in oven cleaner) will work, they usd red devil drain cleaner. it sounds like a lot of work, I also read it does change the metal, I don't know if this is true but it said aniodozong, well the anaioc (something like that) oxiide is what is created on the alu and is the second hardest thing known to man???

hey guys
can some one pls post some pics up so i can see how it looks when u take the purple off

thanx razza

Never to a cooling head (not me ) I think it would be a pain to polish up .. could always get a nova head if you wanted the chrome look

Hi,

I have been reading more aboput removing the anodizing, all I can find about polishing is to use monthers alu polish and that it takes a lot of rubbing.

How much polishing does it take, I mean is it really tough or maybe not as bad as I am thinking?

thanks.

John

Wister I didn't bother with any type of rubbing compound. I used a piece of scotchbrite and everything was a mirror finish. Most important thing is too not leave the easy off on the parts. Couple of minutes will do. If you have too do it over then so be it. I got sidetracked on one of my crossmembers and it took alot of elbow grease to get them to shine.

polishing by hand isn't too bad - I did the running boards on my snowmobile by hand in 3 hours.

If you have a Dremel, they make small polishing wheels that make REALLY quick work of your parts - and a little better finish!

I used a piece of scotchbrite and everything was a mirror finish.

You got a mirror finish with scotchbrite? I have only seen ultra fine emery cloth polish to a mirror (without using some sort of polish or compound)

Jeweler's rouge works really well with polishing wheels.

Maybe mirror was the wrong word...how bout really really really shiny:duh:

No, thats cool. I just thought maybe I was gonna learn a trick I didn't know!
Classic-Winking.gif

Theres a heavy duty degreaser product sold in gallon jugs called "Greased Lightning" that takes off anodizing upon contact. Stuff workes like nobody's business. Minimal cleanup is necessary. But if it works this well, use gloves!

Latest posts

Members online

Back