Rebuilding My Kids Savages

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmind

Hello all,

A few months ago I was kicking around the idea to buy my kids some Savage X SS kits. They have been wanting to get into the hobby, and I have been wanting to get back into myself, again. I was thinking that would be a good way of doing it. After looking at costs, and all the factors, I decided to buy used and do rebuilds instead. Looking at all the angles, I even thought it was the best way. So we'll get down and dirty sooner, and start dealing with all the headaches this lovely hobby has to offer... :)

So after a few weeks of looking on the "interwebs", I came across an ad off Craigslist. A guy selling two Savage rollers. PERFECT! Exactly what I was looking for. I thought they were both at least Savage X or newer, but after starting the first phase of tearing down. One is an SS/25/4.6 model with X TVP's (Here's me crying about it).

The plan is to tear down, clean, rebuild diffs & trannies, replacing broken screws or parts. Add some nitro engines, and electrics. Elegantly slap some paint on some bodies. Then GO GO GO!!!

Some before pics:
KidsSavagenonX_zps06b5bb64.jpg

KidsSavageX_zps159afb83.jpg

Destruction under-way:
unknowsavage_zpseb22001a.jpg

WrenchinAWAY_zps5c1855ba.jpg

Until next time, thanks for looking. Take care,
Nick

Well if those are destined for kids I would say take off those alloy upper arms off the one and go with some new plastic arms. as we all know alloy does not flex and flex is best for new people to learn with..... other than that if any of them have plastic diff cups in them I would also get some alloy cups for the diffs, just way stronger and less broken parts, besides one needs to make sure the diffs are in good shape before any serious bashing,
I bet the kids will be happy with something like that, have fun building and playing with them.....

I Don't think those are alloy uppers, just painted? IN any case I agree.

And you are moving much faster than I am lol. Jennysrc on ebay is my chopshop of choice for spares and bits.

Well if those are destined for kids I would say take off those alloy upper arms off the one and go with some new plastic arms. I would also get some alloy cups for the diffs
Thanks, but they are just painted uppers. The plan is to remove the ugly paint. I do question if you all have seen people do this before? I personally hate it.
Roger on the alloy cups. I hope to be rebuilding the diffs in the next few days. that is if we can get the parts in. we will see. I need to find that diff how to, I haven't looked. :)

Jennysrc on ebay is my chopshop of choice for spares and bits.
Thanks for the heads up.

Love that you are getting the kids involved! I am getting parts together for a rebuild of one of my mt's of the other brand. I having my nephew help and give it to him when it is done. He will be 10 soon. My boys are still pretty young for hobby grade. But they love their Wal-Mart crawlers.

looks like they where owned by a kid, that orange paint job is horrid. can't wait to see them finished! :D btw, I would put a new radio box on the white one. the x radio box is much nicer than the 25

looks like they where owned by a kid, that orange paint job is horrid. can't wait to see them finished! :D btw, I would put a new radio box on the white one. the x radio box is much nicer than the 25
I can't agree with you more, I hate this Orange Paint. Also, good idea about the X radio box.

Well here is some progress. I was hoping to complete by Christmas, but homework and work got in the way...

Tear down is complete:
SavageTearDown4_zpse05379dd.jpg

SavageTearDown3_zps707b7d3e.jpg

SavageTearDown2_zps565d742b.jpg

SavageTearDown_zps753794c0.jpg

Cleaning underway:
SavageCleanUp3_zps0ee1d27f.jpg

SavageCleanUp2_zps306110e5.jpg

SavageCleanUp_zpsc4860f8c.jpg

Other then bent screws and TVPs, the only broking parts were spur gear and Beveled gear:
SavageSpurGear77094_zps668362c3.jpg

BevelGear_zps603fd1d8.jpg

But I do have a question about this double slipper spur gear? Are they used much as I haven't seen them before. Why use them over the original?

Here is the parts list:
Spider Diff gears for one
Alloy Diff Cups
Bevel gear
Spur Gear
Turnbuckles
Steering Set Bell Crank
2 x Bodies
X Radio Box

Not to bad for two old Savage trunks. Most of those parts are upgrades anyways.

Idk about the double slipper, I've never seen it myself. Since you already have it you may as well give it a shot right?

I just got all of my parts for my own rebuild, I'll be following you this week

Looks like fun, I like the pIc of the pinion gear missing teeth, thats awesome. My son is only 6 but he will have his own truck soon, having your kids help you is great, gotta get these young ones in the hobby too..

Members online

No members online now.
Back